What's new
What's new

OT: Who in Germany does collection, crating and shipping of smallish machine tools?

Spud

Diamond
When I saw smallish, I mean a lathe, mill or grinder under 2000 lbs , but possibly upto 3500 lbs.

I have no particular machine in mind, but suppose I wanted to have a Schaublin 150 (or other similar size lathe) or FP1 (or similar size mill) collected, crated and shipped to a US East Coast port, what would it cost and who has reasonable prices? Also who will collect and ship a small commercial vehicle like a Mercedes Vario?

I arrange shipping if you buy a machine with me Prices of shipping have gone up considerably Also depends if you want it shipped CIP port or DDU
If you have no experience shipping I would advice DDU I recently shipped a machine to the west coast DDU Was about 2400 euro incl the crate

Peter

I arrange shipping if you buy a machine with me Prices of shipping have gone up considerably Also depends if you want it shipped CIP port or DDU
If you have no experience shipping I would advice DDU I recently shipped a machine to the west coast DDU Was about 2400 euro incl the crate

Peter
Does that price include them collecting the machine from seller?

??? Yah figure Peter ships an empty crate .......with a "cookbook" recipe for yah to gather mushrooms, turnips, Bulgar Wheat, tulip bulbs, Gouda cheese, and Iron ore .... locally .. to bake yer own?
I mean would DDU collect machine from a seller advertising on Ebay or another auction site.

Risks exist. Rules, regulations, and paperwork as well. There is no "free lunch" to be had.

Major firms have regular "brokers" and/or full-court-press "logistics" services to do the WORK involved in making arrangements. McDonald's greaseburger chain would be DEAD in 8 to 12 hours ... without the Martin-Brower Company.

It's serious business, 'logistics', not zero-effort tick the box.... unless a serious player - Amazon, maybe - is back of that tickbox.
A grandson of Hellmann's founder was a friend out in Hong Kong. He worked damned hard, grandson or no.

Whilst at Cable & Wireless.. and AFTERWARDS.. I relied on "Angel Case".. as did the UK's Ministry of Defense. not without a scandal ....but still.
In their heyday, they could make things get to a destination anywhere on-planet. Probably into orbit, too, had we but asked!

In Peter's environment, he has HIS contacts.

"Management" expertise .. and TIME dedicated to it.. is required. One way or another.

You could fly to Europe. And screw it up 'in person'?
But expect to spend MORE, not less, even if you didn't count your travel.

As with any OTHER tasking, it is easier, faster, and cheaper for the experienced hand who already knows whom, where, what, and how.

I did say "no free lunch"?
About 16 years ago , I bought a Studer cylindrical grinder on Ebay UK. Went over there to collect it. Had my mate in London do the driving as I didn't want to muck about driving on the right in London UK traffic. On the same trip, I visited Pendom museum after a 10 year hiatus. Would love to go to Germany, especially because I have to see Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg.

About 16 years ago , I bought a Studer cylindrical grinder on Ebay UK.
Spud, I know this is off-thread, but do you still have your Studer? What kind? I have a Studer RHU-450, but have not 'met' many people with similar machines. Cheers, Bruce

Spud, I know this is off-thread, but do you still have your Studer? What kind? I have a Studer RHU-450, but have not 'met' many people with similar machines. Cheers, Bruce
It was a Studer OB. Not sure if mate still has it stored in his garage. I do however have the original factory manual for it.

Cool. If you're interested I've got a factory internal grinder for the OB. Casting holding 3-phase motor, large pulley, shroud, belt, holder for a 60mm spindle.

Cool. If you're interested I've got a factory internal grinder for the OB. Casting holding 3-phase motor, large pulley, shroud, belt, holder for a 60mm spindle.
Was not able to have it shipped over here, so I hope my mate still has the OB; haven't spoken to him a quite a while.

You sure you want to hunt-down and cut the throats of more machine-tools just now?

Or recruit more friends with open garage space to hang the trophy hide and horns, first?
If I hadn't bought it , it was heading for the skip. There were 2 OB grinders, the company threw the other one into the skip. IIRC an employee asked if he could list the second one on Ebay. I was the only bidder.

This was a company that made parts for the British / NATO defense and aerospace field. When I was there they had the main rotor forging for a British chopper sitting on a table; if memory serves me it was a Westland Lynx.

Both OB grinders were fine, but the newer guys just didn't want to oil it / use it, they preferred the CNC grinder they had just got.

Back