What's new
What's new

OT: Why are we closing threads that are discussing the banning of members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BugRobotics

Stainless
I stay out of this stuff usually. Never talk politics on here. Just saw a thread closed talking about banned members.

Closing threads because they disagree with the site owners is not the way. People disagree. I get enforcing rules. But closing a thread that is discussing the banning of members. I'm failing to see how that is in violation of any forum rules.

I stay out of this stuff usually. Never talk politics on here. Just saw a thread closed talking about banned members.

Closing threads because they disagree with the site owners is not the way. People disagree. I get enforcing rules. But closing a thread that is discussing the banning of members. I'm failing to see how that is in violation of any forum rules.

You have a few people that got banned or suspended for good reason. I think the mods just don't want to keep beating that dead horse on explaining why they banned/suspended people. I see 4 people that got banned/suspended and rightfully so. They acted like assholes on here an maybe it was time to give them a time out instead of turning every thread into a shit fest. If some people can learn to disagree in polite manner without flaming each other then maybe political threads will not get closed.

I'm not debating whether members should have been banned. Not in the slightest. The rules are the rules. The closing of topics that are indeed following the rules is what this thread was about. I find that to be disconcerting.

The fact that we are talking about this thread being locked is nuts. I'd never think to lock someone's thread because I didn't like what they had to say. I have too much respect for other members on here. Kinda flys in the face of why the internet is such a great tool.

I have too much respect for other members on here. Kinda flys in the face of why the internet is such a great tool.

-Personally, I've lost a great deal of respect for a good many members here, both because of their political views- from both sides!- and their absolute insistence on injecting those views into every. single. goddam thread they can lay their hands on.

And that's the thing: This IS the internet. Places specifically intended to discuss politics are just a click or two away. This is not a political board. Last I checked, this was a board for professional machinists to discuss, you know, machining.

Personally, I tend to prefer the 'safe haven' approach. While I do, at times, enjoy a good political discussion* there are also plenty of times I want to just read about an enjoyable hobby without the politics. This place is like watching a good movie, and right in the middle of the action, the lead actor stops, turns to the camera, and launches into a fifteen-minute rant about how much of a piece of shit the President is.

It doesn't belong here.

Doc.

(*Note I said discussion. What takes place here are not discussions. At best they're spittle-flecked shouting matches, at worst a bunch of immature monkeys flinging shit at each other.)

Where is the line drawn to be crossed here?

Yea, that was original purpose of this thread. I thought the line was drawn in the sand with the rules and then a few different threads were locked today that I couldn't see anything remotely crossing of the line, hence my questioning of why.

It seems like my issue with the "line in the sand" moving to and fro because someone doesn't like a topic is being conflated with whether or not this should be a political site or whether members should have been banned. I'm not saying this should be a forum for politics and understand why the forum admins are trying to reign in that behavior. I fully appreciate this site for what it is intended to be. I'd hope that anyone who has ever read any of my posts would know that.

Me thinks this is a good illustration the bans...
bc54209856694930430db38a81454411.jpg

Sent from the ENIAC using Tapatalk

This IS the internet. Places specifically intended to discuss politics are just a click or two away. This is not a political board. Last I checked, this was a board for professional machinists to discuss, you know, machining.

I guess everyone has their own viewpoint.

I look at this place as an extension of the workplace. Kind of like a great big shop, with LOTS of co-workers.

Where I work now, we do talk politics occasionally, but it hardly ever gets heated. Usually, you can glean how a person feels about a subject early on and either avoid the subject or dig deeper, of you care to.

I would like to think in those terms of this place.

Your mileage may vary.

Banning members Is a tough call. I got busted/banned for posting a political joke with mentioning the
dirty bugger nice guy by name, saying so and so even likes Fords.
Good, I had the email of a few friends/members and they got me back on.

Wut dat?

Sent from the ENIAC using Tapatalk

An Inn before a Lock...

WRT the bannings, IMO a few more should be given a break for a month or so. I'm well over the pointless, stupid, constant bullshit in threads. Gary's 'new job' thread being a classic example.

PDW

I suspect they were locked for the same reason a lot of threads get locked - they do not seek an answer to a problem. They're just chatty, if anything.

As for PM being a place for free speech...no one ever said that it was. I suspect people get this confused with the arguments over sites like Twitter and Facebook and free speech - the difference is those places enjoy platform status and are therefore (presumably) obligated to free speech. But this site? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back