What's new
What's new

OT- Yanmar marine diesel oil pressure question

I'd not count on a generic having the correct resistance range unless it is spec'd for some other Yanmar engine. It is fairly likely that Yanmar used the same parameters for many, if not all their oil pressure senders. A typical bulky looking sender is just a carbon-granual pile with an isolating diaphragm.

Given that this kind of sender is a variable resistance to ground, one can measure the needed resistance by trying various resistors to ground in place of the failed sensor and seeing what indication those resistors cause.

Measure the open-circuit voltage and compute the heat dissipation (in watts) of each test resistor at that voltage, and use a resistor rated for the dissipation. The current into a short should be limited (to prevent damage due to a sensor wire shorted to ground), so actual dissipation will be less.

I think that I would try to determine the brand and part number of the gauge that is installed, and then buy the matching sender.

If not, then I'd replace the gauge and sender as a package.

FWIW....yesterday I took a chance and replaced the sender unit with the generic one from West Marine, and it works perfectly...pressure now reading 50 to 60, which seems right for a Yanmar with 1014 hours*. Was a devil to get to it... had to lie on floor reach underneath with 14mm wrench and feel for the hex of the sender.

*Previous I typed 904 hours but forgot to update the meter reading since my recent journey from MD to SC.

Last edited:
How did the sensor terminal get to the point of having such a weak connection to the body that it broke off when I barely touched it ?

I’m thinking someone in the past wasn’t paying attention while removing the oil filter … yes?

Attachments

• 4C6D6948-2E07-466B-B5AC-AC400DAB2707.jpeg
    4C6D6948-2E07-466B-B5AC-AC400DAB2707.jpeg
    759.9 KB · Views: 12
Next oil change add Slick 50, could get you home safe if the oil leaks out or the oil pump quits.

Back