What's new
What's new

OT - Your forklift is inadequate

We had similar for moving slabs in work, not forks like a tong thing on the mast, very big but easy to drive , the tyres were water filled out of interest
Mark

I have to wonder if that forklift has some sort of special operating permissives....like, if you have over 60 tons lifted, you can't exceed 3MPH. Seems like they're not gonna let you haul ass across the loading dock when you're locked and loaded.....

Want to see big forks driven crazy......go to an empty container storage yard .....40ft boxes stacked 5 or 6 high ...and carried around the yard 2 or 3 high.......my boss owned a container storage yard , and down the back was sandblasting gear ,compressors ,old broken cranes and forklifts,and heaps of other stuff he got free off jobs sites.....I had to drive down the back trying to avoid 50 ton forks racing around,and water filled potholes feet deep..

Biggest problem we had was the mud, chipping got crushed to dust, when it rained the yards were a swamp of mud, they brought in a power scraper to try control the quagmire but ended up loading the slop onto 6 wheel drive Volvo tippers and carting it away, putting more chippings down to repeat the cycle, expensive business heavy plant, the bigger carriers had 15’ diameter back wheels, I think they were also modified power scrapers C40 catapillar someone said, rebranded. Kress carrier, big plant destroys roads!
Mark

I have to wonder if that forklift has some sort of special operating permissives....like, if you have over 60 tons lifted, you can't exceed 3MPH. Seems like they're not gonna let you haul ass across the loading dock when you're locked and loaded.....

Probably. Can't imagine it's gonna stop too quick-like. I'm guessing it has a pretty low speed limit even with no load. 85T ( the truck itself probably weighs 100+T at least?) isn't too friendly at speed, I don't guess.

Marine Terminals in Oakland had something like that years ago. The drivers hated it, couldn't see through the container. Generally they used these straddle carriers they called triple-stackers, weird to drive because all the wheels steered. Plus you could drive down these narrow alleys between containers, which a forklift can't do.

My limited knowlege of this application is they wanted it at a wind farm so they could lift the nacelles (pods) of the windmills....though for sure I doubt the forklift can raise them 200 feet in the air so I guess it would be for maintenance once on the ground.

Used to be funny in a strong wind.....stacks of containers would blow over like dominoes,knocking down the next stack ,and so on..........One of the container yards had a stack of containers blow down into the street outside ,and crush all the cars parked in the street.....that wasnt funny.......sent the transport company broke ...for about 5 days..........name was changed from SeaRoad to C2Road .

Another photo of “trackzilla” from the ConExpo a week and a half ago. I have a good video of it but it wouldn’t load.IMG_2023-3-26-215422.jpg

If that zoom-boom with tracks weighs that much it needs a 9-10 axle truck/trailer to move it. A trailer for that would be over half a million itself. Then the whole process of moving it from jobsite to jobsite.

If it was built for a particular location then it may be just what is needed. For construction it seems to be a bull in a China shop

Back