What's new
What's new

Owner issues.....anybody else get 'stuck' ? (Not A/R issues)

dkmc

Diamond
Probably a 1 man shop problem. Projects and machine fix-ups and improvements delegated to 'spare time' or after hours. Things pile up, not sure what to do next. End up 'stuck' with non clear thoughts of how to proceed or what to do next. It all grinds to a hault, including the paying work part. I suspect this is an age thing. Happening more than it used to. Sometimes I need a day to just .......think....what....to...do.....next. And get the order where it feels right. I suppose I have too many interests and projects.

The new age label for this is ADHD.

Without invasive strategy to circumvent it, I will just "forget" all the things I don't want to do.

The most effective way I have found to ensure I get everything done is to have friends and family hold me accountable. In person. If I have somebody else here ready to tackle a task with me, I jump right in and hammer it out.

Recently I've swapped use of my shop in exchange for help with infrastructure projects. This has definitely helped get some momentum on some stalled out projects.

Probably a 1 man shop problem. Projects and machine fix-ups and improvements delegated to 'spare time' or after hours. Things pile up, not sure what to do next. End up 'stuck' with non clear thoughts of how to proceed or what to do next. It all grinds to a hault, including the paying work part. I suspect this is an age thing. Happening more than it used to. Sometimes I need a day to just .......think....what....to...do.....next. And get the order where it feels right. I suppose I have too many interests and projects.

You've just described my entire life. 😂
When I hit a wall, I have to reassess everything and make a list.

Anything and everything that pops into my head goes on the list, I then reorder things by importance. When I get distracted or I need to plan for the next day, I can refer to the list.

Last edited:
Too late for me since I've retired. But it took me 30 some years to learn not to put off repairs. When something you use frequently needed repair I repaired it ASAP. Low priority customer work got put on hold.

Projects and machine fix-ups and improvements delegated to 'spare time' or after hours. Things pile up, not sure what to do next. End up 'stuck' with non clear thoughts of how to proceed or what to do next. It all grinds to a hault, including the paying work part. I suspect this is an age thing. Happening more than it used to. Sometimes I need a day to just .......think....what....to...do.....next. And get the order where it feels right. I suppose I have too many interests and projects.
I completely understand. I have ADD and use medication to help me concentrate on the task at hand. Even with medication, it still gets overwhelming. For me, the guilty feelings for NOT getting everything done, start about 10 minutes into my drive home.
There are ALWAYS too many things to quote, design, email, order, inspect, machine, etc. (and don't dare forget the Honey Do's, especially this time of year!)

Sheesh! I should have found a way to marry a rich chick!

You must force yourself to work on a project for at least a short time. Accept the fact you may not finish that day.
Continue on same project the next day...here again if only for a short time.

Soon as you get done you will realize "hey i did it" and the next will be easier.....

Based on the comments....I'll go a bit farther down the rabbit hole.

I've always had ADHD, before it was invented even. My teachers said I 'didn't apply myself' and 'didn't put forth enough effort'. Oh ya, well watch this 8 year old tear apart a lawn mower engine and re-assemble to running in 45 minutes ya nit-wits. Who gives a shit what happened 200 years ago (history class)? Chevy just came out with a 427! (1966). I'm a gear head multi-tasker not white collar. I over analyze EVERYTHING. I have a natural ability to somehow 'know' how a lot of things work. Gears, bearings, engines, parts is parts. Big problem, for awhile I thought everybody knew as well. I suspect -many- on this forum have the same 'gift'.

Back when there were people that came around of the type that would help, yes, great motivation. Doesn't happen anymore. Having older friends that die off isn't too handy in the long run. Yes I nearly completely forget the crappy stuff that needs to be done sometimes. But it never goes away and I eventually hammer it out.

I just made another list this morning! It does help sometimes.

Yep ALL ways things to do, plan, think about. 24-7. But damn! What the hell would I do if I was stuck in a mundane job with just a few tasks to keep track of? Go insane from boredom most likely. So I'm LUCKY to be able to do what I do when I decide I need to do it. Thankful.

It all has to come down to forced motivation combined with guilt which usually kicks things off TDC. I do OK if I can get moving, but many days it's the 'get moving' part thats the most difficult. Some days I can tell by 7am 'it ain't happen'in and I just concede to fuck off and/or tinker instead of fight it. Or screw something up.
Good to know I'm not alone.

I played a couple rounds of chess with a guy who was way better, and before he got bored of beating me he passed along what I've taken for life advice.

"If you don't have a grand plan, don't go throwing your queen out in the middle of the board. Just move a pawn."

So sometimes when there is a tornado of tasks spinning around and I don't know what to do, I'll pick up a simple brainless task -cleaning a machine or maybe product assembly- "move a pawn". That usually brings things into focus and I can see what should be done.

I get like that. After some time spent spinning my wheels, I realize it. The trick that works for me is to find something completely unrelated to do that takes my full attention for about 20 minutes or so. This seems to clear me up a bit and I can re-focus on the original task.

I don't believe its anything to do with the label ADD or ADHD. I guarantee most people will do this if allowed to slack off. Some do it more then others.
Most ever only have an attention span of 1-2 hours before they get tired and just need a mental break.
I just have a mental list, find whats most imminent and do that first, all work can suck, embrace the suck.

check out the book, "eat that frog"

list's are the best thing, I think about crap way too much, and forget way too much.
lists get it out of your head, and in some place to check when you need to, so you don't have to remember, stress, worry.
then organize the list, makes things easier fo sho
I don't put off small tasks or maintenance, anticipation is greater than the act, I just get it done.

I've been getting out of bed and straight into the shower pretty early in the AM- I have a nasty habit of taking LONG showers. I use that time to think about work and kinda hammer through all the details about what's important.

Then I'll sometimes write that down in a list once I get out, which I need to get more disciplined about.

list's are the best thing, I think about crap way too much, and forget way too much.
lists get it out of your head, and in some place to check when you need to, so you don't have to remember, stress, worry.
then organize the list, makes things easier fo sho

I may be misunderstanding the OP's issue, but from where I stand, the problem with lists is that the things on them will still need to get done.
If I wanted to actually get them done, they wouldn't even be on the list in the first place.
Hell, there wouldn't even be a list!

Sometimes you just need a break. I have instituted a new company policy. It applies from the chairman of the board all the way down to the cleaner, basically me. It's called fuck around Friday. That's the day I get to work on side projects and interesting as in difficult but doesn't pay enough stuff.

I do find it helps to do small tasks that require your full attention. That way you get a sense of accomplishment from completing something. I think with mobile phones etc we all suffer from a short attention span now. Switching off the phone and internet also helps. Last resort go for a walk in the park or on the beach.

Back