What's new
What's new

Owner issues.....anybody else get 'stuck' ? (Not A/R issues)

The new age label for this is ADHD.

Without invasive strategy to circumvent it, I will just "forget" all the things I don't want to do.

The most effective way I have found to ensure I get everything done is to have friends and family hold me accountable. In person. If I have somebody else here ready to tackle a task with me, I jump right in and hammer it out.

Recently I've swapped use of my shop in exchange for help with infrastructure projects. This has definitely helped get some momentum on some stalled out projects.
That's how I get certain tasks done. I have a friend that I always help with welding/fab work and when it's time to do something he's always there to help. He doesn't physically even do anything, but he's another set of eyes and an EXCELLENT organizer.

I do find it helps to do small tasks that require your full attention. That way you get a sense of accomplishment from completing something.
Yes. Small 'relatively easy' and short(er) projects/ improvements that get done are great for a morale boost. It's a 'fix what bugs you' accomplishment that I think everyone needs at some point. Gotta watch it doesn't get carried away, limited time before getting back to the 'for pay' work. I think I'll call it 'tinker therapy'.

For me it's making a list, and the gratification of crossing the items off when done. Since I work from home the projects get sorted into work and after work priorities. The nice thing about lists, for me, is the items don't get forgotten or some details forgotten and once on a list I can quit thinking about it until it's time to do. I also have a firm rule of not thinking about that stuff from late at night till it's time to go to work, which really helps my sleep quality.

Oh, and put that list on the wall right next to your monitor so you are always noticing it.

check out the book, "eat that frog"

list's are the best thing, I think about crap way too much, and forget way too much.
lists get it out of your head, and in some place to check when you need to, so you don't have to remember, stress, worry.
then organize the list, makes things easier fo sho
I don't put off small tasks or maintenance, anticipation is greater than the act, I just get it done.

Another good resource: https://gettingthingsdone.com

When I have a plan and things get sidetracked; I usually end up in a position with tools, material, paperwork, etc scattered all over the place. So when I inevitably hit a wall, I also like to clean the shop. Physical chaos always follows mental chaos for me. A clean shop is a new workspace, ready for new tasks.

I make a list and handle everything that I can finish immediately right at that moment. Ordering tooling & material, paying bills, replying to emails that I've put off for a shamefully long time, phone calls, filing, updating quickbooks... all of the clerical stuff.
If I do all of that immediately then it's not weighing on me and it doesn't have to go on the list. This brings a good dopamine hit that instantly makes things feel a bit lighter.

After that, Clean the shop. Then start on knocking out the items on the list - it works every time.

Last edited:

When I have a plan and things get sidetracked; I usually end up in a position with tools, material, paperwork, etc scattered all over the place. So when I inevitably I hit a wall, I also like to clean the shop. Physical chaos always follows mental chaos for me. A clean shop is a new workspace, ready for new tasks.

I then sit down, make a list and handle everything that I can finish immediately right at that moment. Ordering tooling & material, paying bills, replying to emails that I've put off for a shamefully long time, phone calls, filing, updating quickbooks... all of the clerical stuff.
If I do all of that immediately then it's not weighing on me and it doesn't have to go on the list. This brings a good dopamine hit that instantly makes things feel a bit lighter.

After that, Clean the shop. Then start on knocking out the items on the list - it works every time.
I'm a little OCD, I don't clean the shop, the shop stay's clean, a part of doing work efficiently for us.

Oh, and put that list on the wall right next to your monitor so you are always noticing it.

I bought 2 white boards for that. One in the house office and the other attached to the side of the VMC. I also use the notepad app for android. It allows you to make checklists and reorder each one by dragging each item up or down.

The master copy stays on my phone because I need to add to it anytime something pops into my head. I can then email it to my wife right from the app and she can update the white boards.

Like you said; out of your head and onto paper - this is the number 1 thing I recommend to people who are stressed out. Most just roll their eyes and tell me; "I know what's wrong, that won't help."

When I have a plan and things get sidetracked; I usually end up in a position with tools, material, paperwork, etc scattered all over the place. So when I inevitably I hit a wall, I also like to clean the shop. Physical chaos always follows mental chaos for me. A clean shop is a new workspace, ready for new tasks.

I then sit down, make a list and handle everything that I can finish immediately right at that moment. Ordering tooling & material, paying bills, replying to emails that I've put off for a shamefully long time, phone calls, filing, updating quickbooks... all of the clerical stuff.

Yeah getting rid of the quick shit fast, even if its not a priority does help mentally, reduces overwhelm feelings.

This is how I learned machining, I did it all day and dreamed about doing it all night for 4 years.
That's how I learned 3D Animation, taught it to myself all day and dreamed about it at night,
when I went to get a 3D Animator job my friend said, "dude you went to far, we wouldnt hire you as an Animator, but as a Technical Director"
if you wanted to be an animator you should have stopped years ago. HAHA

Based on the comments....I'll go a bit farther down the rabbit hole.

I've always had ADHD, before it was invented even. My teachers said I 'didn't apply myself' and 'didn't put forth enough effort'. Oh ya, well watch this 8 year old tear apart a lawn mower engine and re-assemble to running in 45 minutes ya nit-wits. Who gives a shit what happened 200 years ago (history class)? Chevy just came out with a 427! (1966). I'm a gear head multi-tasker not white collar. I over analyze EVERYTHING. I have a natural ability to somehow 'know' how a lot of things work. Gears, bearings, engines, parts is parts. Big problem, for awhile I thought everybody knew as well. I suspect -many- on this forum have the same 'gift'.

Back when there were people that came around of the type that would help, yes, great motivation. Doesn't happen anymore. Having older friends that die off isn't too handy in the long run. Yes I nearly completely forget the crappy stuff that needs to be done sometimes. But it never goes away and I eventually hammer it out.

I just made another list this morning! It does help sometimes.

Yep ALL ways things to do, plan, think about. 24-7. But damn! What the hell would I do if I was stuck in a mundane job with just a few tasks to keep track of? Go insane from boredom most likely. So I'm LUCKY to be able to do what I do when I decide I need to do it. Thankful.

It all has to come down to forced motivation combined with guilt which usually kicks things off TDC. I do OK if I can get moving, but many days it's the 'get moving' part thats the most difficult. Some days I can tell by 7am 'it ain't happen'in and I just concede to fuck off and/or tinker instead of fight it. Or screw something up.
Good to know I'm not alone.
You just described me. I do ok and get parts before the customer starts calling.
It really messes me up when my wife starts wanting meaningless stuff done.
As in "My parents are coming over. You need to move the house 1/2" north so that it will look better"
Yeah, she's OCD and thinks she should boss everyone.

Since I have been fighting cancer I have been having trouble focusing and getting things done. The surgery is done going on 4 weeks now and I am getting around better but I am buried and have no motivation whatsoever. Now what????

Since I have been fighting cancer I have been having trouble focusing and getting things done. The surgery is done going on 4 weeks now and I am getting around better but I am buried and have no motivation whatsoever. Now what????
I have read when your in this scenario, pick things that you can get done quickly, finishing something gives you gratification, and helps you to move to the next thing.

after watching this part, I recommend rewind and watch the whole thing.

I agree with Houdini. Start small and simple. As the smaller stuff gets done it will give you a boost in motivation.

I make a list and handle everything that I can finish immediately right at that moment. Ordering tooling & material, paying bills, replying to emails that I've put off for a shamefully long time, phone calls, filing, updating quickbooks... all of the clerical stuff.

Oh yeah! I always start with the easy stuff first!

I'm glad to hear your surgery went well!
Definitely start with the list. Motivation requires something that you can point to and say "I'm gonna do the shit outta that task right now and nothing will interrupt me."

Of course I say this while being distracted from my own task of setting up the versa-tapper so I can tap 200 6-32 holes. Nobody's perfect 🙄

Motivation requires something that you can point to and say "I'm gonna do the shit outta that task right now and nothing will interrupt me."
Yes. And also being able to complete the task and 'bask' in that success a bit. Feeling of accomplishment goes a long way toward building motivation momentum. I'm always kinda on the fence with days off and holidays. They are momentum and motivation wreckers.

Back