What's new
What's new

P&W lathe with speedranger and phase converter in Raleigh

SteveM

Diamond
Spotted this Pratt & Whitney lathe in the Raleigh NC area:

00303_fAH6eZ2AQ4r_0CI0t2_600x450[1].jpg

Think it's the 7", which would take the same collets as the 3C mill.

It has the speed ranger and a phase converter, but he doesn't show or mention accessories.

He's asking $2,000, but says he has to move and can't take it with him. I'm sure the price will get better the closer the move date.

I have no affiliation with the seller.

Steve

There's a 1 inch collet in the spindle, this is the ball bearing version with the larger spindle. Has the more modern compund slide too!

Thank goodness I don't travel to durham anymore. I would be tempted.

The benefit of the 10" lathe is that it used D1-3 tooling, which is much easier to find than the almost-proprietary D1-2 of the 7" machine. It also uses No. 5 P&W collets, which are possibly harder to find, although a conversion to 5C might be possible... I've never compared the dimensions.

Wow, I never would have guessed that those drilling machines are still being made. I have an older flat belt one with the separate motor base. I really like it eventhou it was abused. Stupid silly overbuilt.

It also uses No. 5 P&W collets, which are possibly harder to find, although a conversion to 5C might be possible... I've never compared the dimensions.
The 5PN collets can be found and are usually less than 4PN collets because so few people actually need them that they sit on ebay for months.
A 5C is 1.25" and a 5PN is 1.312. There is also a 5P, but that one is smaller.

Steve

Back