What's new
What's new

Paint Issues - On Topic

btw s-w has two different stores. the house paint store and the automotive store

Well agree with previous posts that Sherwin Williams counter people and even outside sales have little knowledge of the Polane productline. Have to assume if able to read this dialog one has internet access. By doing some online homework can get what you you need to know. Also, invest in attending trade shows with "factory" representatives. Good work doesn't happen by accident, nor is it easy. Worse thing you can do is solicit advise from hobbyists that have neither professional experience or high standards.

btw s-w has two different stores. the house paint store and the automotive store
Actually Sherwin Williams has three ( maybe more) types of stores. Regular stores, automotive stores and industrial coatings stores.

The industrial stores carry all the speciality coatings along with a limited supply of some of the house type paints. There are some really good paints that most of their retail stores do not carry, can not mix colors because they don't have the colorants that are compatible, and most of their salesmen know nothing about.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Took a quick few minutes this morning to apply coat #2.

6DBB0889-0C93-480C-B37D-C6C03AAC5EAD_zpsji6r9a2q.jpg

That looks much better!

Yes, Sir. All the difference in the world. Good stuff, that Penetrol is. In all fairness, due to my ham-fisted impatience and dickering, the paint is actually likely too thin now. It's almost water-like in its consistency. But, it applies well enough and dries nicely enough so I really do not care. I've gotten the Blue that I wanted and the paint should perform its duty well enough, as expected.

Another coat on the piece shown earlier, and first coats on the other two pieces from the headstock cover.

DB85167D-D9BD-42C6-8A0D-ABFE5144F3E0_zpsxpp0hkuq.jpg

E472A429-05E1-41AF-8DC4-3A186ED67188_zps4dyr56wn.jpg

the paint is actually likely too thin now. It's almost water-like in its consistency. But, it applies well enough and dries nicely enough so I really do not care.

If you were to care a little more:
The consistency of milk would be better. The way to tell is raise your mixing stick and see how the paint drips off. Measure the percentage of reducer to paint, then make the mix consistent from batch to batch.

If you were to care a little more:
The consistency of milk would be better. The way to tell is raise your mixing stick and see how the paint drips off. Measure the percentage of reducer to paint, then make the mix consistent from batch to batch.

A "good" way to do this is to just buy paint mixing cups. They are clear plastic cups with graduations on the side. The ones used at our paint shop here at work have numerous markings all around the outside for numerous different mix ratios. Most of them are marked for up to 4 components at varying ratios. I'll see if I can find a pic online.

ETA, can't seem to post a picture no matter what I try (yes, I've posted pics before and not had issues, must be something with the site?).

Back