What's new

part zero z axis

astropaulo

Aluminum
Hi all

Picked up my first cnc, a used TM2P. I've found when
I set the tool offset on my part the go to use the part zero
With G54 the maching always thinks that zero is about
2.4" above the part. What am I missing? Is there something in one of the menus the previous owner might have set? G54 z is zero.

probably missing something stupid.

Hi all

Picked up my first cnc, a used TM2P. I've found when
I set the tool offset on my part the go to use the part zero
With G54 the maching always thinks that zero is about
2.4" above the part. What am I missing? Is there something in one of the menus the previous owner might have set? G54 z is zero.

probably missing something stupid.

Check if there is a value set in the Z registry of G52, and also check setting 33 of the control. Setting 33 selects either Fanuc, Yasnac, or Haas Style Coordinate System. If the Fanuc or Haas style is selected, G52 will perform as a Global Work Shift with any value set therein added to all Work Shift Offsets. For example, if 2.4" was registered for Z in G52, 2.4" would be added to the Z registries of all Work Shift Offsets.

Regards,

Bill

Check if there is a value set in the Z registry of G52, and also check setting 33 of the control. Setting 33 selects either Fanuc, Yasnac, or Haas Style Coordinate System. If the Fanuc or Haas style is selected, G52 will perform as a Global Work Shift with any value set therein added to all Work Shift Offsets. For example, if 2.4" was registered for Z in G52, 2.4" would be added to the Z registries of all Work Shift Offsets.

Regards,

Bill

All the G offsets are set to zero. Setting 33 was set to Fanuc, switched it over to Haas. Ran a program and z is off by 2". Is the G52 z registry somewhere different
than the offset page?

Also go to the very bottom of the work offsets and see if there is a value in g92(?) which functions the same as an entry in g52. Global offset.

Why don't you start by telling us EXACTLY how you go about setting the tool. That will help us a bunch.

Mike

^^^X2^^^

If you are this unfamiliar with machining and Haas's then you should probably clear out all the offsets and start fresh. Imagine that 2.4 positive -Z- was actually a negative? :eek:

You may also want to post your program to verify that you are cancelling previous offsets and actually calling the correct tool and fixture. Download the manual and spend some time reading. Then read it again.

^^^X2^^^

If you are this unfamiliar with machining and Haas's then you should probably clear out all the offsets and start fresh. Imagine that 2.4 positive -Z- was actually a negative? :eek:

You may also want to post your program to verify that you are cancelling previous offsets and actually calling the correct tool and fixture. Download the manual and spend some time reading. Then read it again.

In addition to this, check in with your local dealer as most dealers will offer basic/beginner mill and lathe training classes free to any Haas owner or operator.

Also, check out this link: http://www.egr.unlv.edu/~kevinn/CNCworkbooks/MillProgrammingBook.pdf
This is a training workbook you can go through which may help you out. It's geared towards the larger VF machines, but it will still give you plenty of info.

Good luck!

don't have a Haas
but I know how $$$$ pushing a button can be when I didn't know what would happen.
Not saying you don't know, but preventing a crash is cheaper than trying to fix a machine

until your familiar with your machine, and evan after you are, be real familiar with that big red button

take the advice of the above posters re the manual and possible training

Looks like setting 33 solved my problem. Everything is right now. Thanks Bill.
Seems like some of the rest of you just post to hear yourselves talk. Just because I'm new to a machine doesn't mean I haven't done lots of research and read the manual or have lots of machining experience. As for the crashing the machine comments, I know what the machine costs, I wrote the check.

Understand that 90% of the comments on this forum are from people who are attempting to help.
The other 10% is part of the joys of being public forum...mostly bs
Glad you wrote the check. I'm guessing everyone who responded has had a close call or crash.
I hope you don't think your immune too that possibility.
Writing a check for something that could be prevented gets old and costly quick, there's plenty of Youtube videos to prove that

Seems like some of the rest of you just post to hear yourselves talk. Just because I'm new to a machine doesn't mean I haven't done lots of research and read the manual or have lots of machining experience. As for the crashing the machine comments, I know what the machine costs, I wrote the check.

So, do tell us oh "researcher and manual reader," for those of us who post just to hear ourselves talk, how did changing setting 33 fix it for you? I have run these machines for 25 years and have used FANUC the entire time. Please tell us what you really found to be the problem! :)

Signed: Old Bastard who just posts just to hear myself talk----Mike

P.S.: Many of us here come and post to help others almost exclusively, like haastec, who I do not believe would need a lot of help operating a Haas of any color and size. I have asked few questions and the last one I posted was never answered and I will eventually have to go directly to Haas for the answer. It is insulting to tell us we are just posting to hear ourselves talk, when we are trying to help you.

M

I have run these machines for 25 years and have used FANUC the entire time. Please tell us what you really found to be the problem

Same here...Every Haas I've ever been on has ran Fanuc format!! So changing it to Haas format caused a 2.4" Z positive error? That makes sense!

But do tell us Oh Wise guy who wrote the check for a frickin USED TM2P LOL what was the real problem (Here's my guess...operator error:rolleyes5:)...

The honest truth is I get tired of newb's like you asking for help then we help and you take it and disappear without a word of gratitude.

Used TM2P...ROFL:crazy:

You can add me to the fart list.

A simple question may not have a simple answer without the details, I was scratching my thick head wondering. A better mind then mine offered up setting 33 - new to me, so we both learned something.

From what I understand, the only difference between Fanuc and Haas modes is the fact that Fanuc cancels G52 shift at M30, Reset, power up, while Haas mode retains it
and you need G52 X0 Y0 Z0 to clear it.

If there are any other differences affected by setting 33, I don't know.
I run in Haas mode on both, lathes and mills as I sometimes nudge workoffsets that way to fit an odd size stock from a batch of otherwise consistent sawcuts and don't want to
alter the program or the known good workoffset.

Anyway, since he had clearly said all workoffsets were zero, I also don't see how the change would have effected anything.

All the G offsets are set to zero. Setting 33 was set to Fanuc, switched it over to Haas. Ran a program and z is off by 2". Is the G52 z registry somewhere different
than the offset page?

Switched from Fanuc to Haas and Z was still 2" off.

Where is Setting 33 at now?

If in your first statement that all of the G offsets are set to zero, then simply changing setting 33 will make no difference. Something else was changed.

I am not sure why you have taken such offense to the responses here. Perhaps you should reread the replies and reevaluate your position. The only one close, and not very close in my opinion, was the comment about the expense of machine repairs, but he did qualify his statement also.

You asked for help, and in my opinion, you were given very good suggestions even from mjk. By your own words admitted that this was your first CNC and therefore it is reasonable to assume that your experience level is low. This is not to say that you are ignorant, dumb or otherwise but merely inexperienced with a CNC. There are MANY smart people here willing to give their time and knowledge for nothing more that the satisfaction of helping others.

Unless you do not wish to solicit any other advise, I suggest you reevaluate your position on comments that are made either with this thread or future threads. Be aware that you will most likely get straight forward answers, incorrect answers (I have given some), smart a$$ answers, and even a$$ hole answers, this is life on a public forum. Take the good and ignore the bad as best you can.

Good luck with your machine!

From what I understand, the only difference between Fanuc and Haas modes is the fact that Fanuc cancels G52 shift at M30, Reset, power up, while Haas mode retains it
and you need G52 X0 Y0 Z0 to clear it.

If there are any other differences affected by setting 33, I don't know.

If the operator selects Yasnak mode, the control will view G52 as a single work offset no different than G54,G55, etc.

Anyway, since he had clearly said all workoffsets were zero, I also don't see how the change would have effected anything.

It wouldn't have any effect if true.

But if there was a value in G52 and Yasnak mode was selected, then the control would ignore G52 unless G52 was selected as active work offset.

Last edited:

Regards,

Bill
I have this same problem. I am new as well. I probed a boss then probed the z separately. In MDI I called a X0 Y0 Z0 and the tool wanted to go below Z0. Also, I tried to clear out the Z in the registry and it would not let me with a question. Do you want go over the limit or something, Yes or No. I did not go any further.

Back