What's new
What's new

Parting out Hardinge CHNC2+

upm2019

Aluminum
I have a hardinge CHNC2+ that has a pulsecoder dissconnect alarm . I have grown tired of trying to get help from Hardinge so I am parting out the machine. It has an LCD monitor , upgraded axis drives , membrane operator panel . I also have 4 xtra top plates 2 3/8 and 2 1/2 . The machine has a 10T control . Was running up until 2 weeks ago . I am planing on sending to scrap yard on 2/7. PM me if interested.

Metalurgent
It's the x axis encoder or drive . I'm just tired of dealing with hardinge. It was bad enough when Morris South had the service now that hardinge took it back it could be days before they return your call. Thank you for the offer though.
Pete

A couple things before you part it out. With the servos not powered, control on, turn the x axis screw and see if the axis counts. My guess , if the encoder counts, it's good. That vintage Hardinge will probably have Siemens DC motors and drives, lucky you, anyway look for alarms on the drive it's self. The DC motors will have tachs and you may be getting a tach related alarm. If you are getting a tach error and the tachs have brushes, clean out the dust. Later Siemens stuff has brushless ac tachs. Next , bad wiring, broken solder joints on old encoders is common, especially on the connectors. If that machine still has the encoder on the screw and the encoder is bad, any 5v encoder with the correct pulse count will work. A lot if not all of Fanuc encoders are made by Nemicon. While encoders do go bad, most of the time it's bad wiring, broken solder joints, something' that has nothing to do with the encoder, like the tach or brush dust.
Other wacky encoder issues I've run into, caps puking electrolytic on the glass disk, bad bearings, cracked/corroded solder joints, blown up internals . The older chnc/hnc had a tach/resolver on the screw, does yours?

A couple things before you part it out. With the servos not powered, control on, turn the x axis screw and see if the axis counts. My guess , if the encoder counts, it's good. That vintage Hardinge will probably have Siemens DC motors and drives, lucky you, anyway look for alarms on the drive it's self. The DC motors will have tachs and you may be getting a tach related alarm. If you are getting a tach error and the tachs have brushes, clean out the dust. Later Siemens stuff has brushless ac tachs. Next , bad wiring, broken solder joints on old encoders is common, especially on the connectors. If that machine still has the encoder on the screw and the encoder is bad, any 5v encoder with the correct pulse count will work. A lot if not all of Fanuc encoders are made by Nemicon. While encoders do go bad, most of the time it's bad wiring, broken solder joints, something' that has nothing to do with the encoder, like the tach or brush dust.
Other wacky encoder issues I've run into, caps puking electrolytic on the glass disk, bad bearings, cracked/corroded solder joints, blown up internals . The older chnc/hnc had a tach/resolver on the screw, does yours?
Thanks I use to have a machine with those drives and motors major PIA this machine has the updated drives and motors.Same encoders though. My tech said the enconder is good. the problem is no one at Hardinge knows anything anymore and they also told me the machine is 30 years old and they need to prioritize new machines . So F Hardinge I am replacing them as I have problems with them. Thanks for your input though
Pete

I would never expect Hardinge to know a thing about Fanuc judging by how shitty of a job Hardinge does integrating the control to begin with.

Call Fanuc USA. They have awesome tech support to the beginning of time.

Or scrap it. Hardinge cnc lathe's aren't much to get excited about.

I would never expect Hardinge to know a thing about Fanuc judging by how shitty of a job Hardinge does integrating the control to begin with.

Call Fanuc USA. They have awesome tech support to the beginning of time.

Or scrap it. Hardinge cnc lathe's aren't much to get excited about.
I wish I'd had that opinion before doing all I've done to get this CHNC2 working. As soon as I can swing into something else mines going away too.

Back