What's new
What's new

Parts accumulator for bandsaw

GiroDyno

Hot Rolled
Looking for suggestions on how to collect blanks as they come off of our new bandsaw.
Material is 7-11" diameter aluminum round bar, blanks are between 1/2-3" in length.

The longest I expect the saw to be running with nobody around to keep an eye on it is during a 15 minute break (There is a 'rule' here about running the saw unattended, which means if you run it at lunch you go to ISO-jail.)
If the new rig can cut a blank in as little as 1 minute, and each blank was maxed out at 3" long, that means an operator comes back from the bathroom to find just about 4' of material that needs to be dealt with!

Any ideas on how to handle this in a somewhat organized fashion? Our old saw takes about 4 minutes to cut a part and I still hear a piece get pushed off the outfeed once a day, the new saw will be machine-gunning them out. Aside from buying noise cancelling headphones what are my options?

Last edited:
Could you set a pair of rails so the saw just pushes the blanks along the rails ?
Maybe a slight slope to reduce drag and maybe some sort of bookend to stop blanks tipping over.
Bob

one thing, out feed flat table, then put a block past it to hold the blanks from falling all over.
you can also go as crazy as you want with plc and everything.

You're only limited by your imagination.

Simplest solution is to have parts drop into a bucket or cart. 5 gallon bucket filled with water is great for small parts.

Since your parts are bigger, than maybe an outfeed table would work best.

Another option is a chute that deposits material into bins.

We've talked about a tub with water and maybe some 2x4s stubs floating around to break the fall but really prefer to avoid bending over; picking up a batch of 25lb blanks off the floor kinda sucks...
Floorspace is also really critical, I was imagining some sort of rail or roller/rube-goldberg contraption to deposit them on a rolling cart so blanks can be delivered to their respective machines but I am having trouble visualizing exactly how it would do that while accommodating all the various diameters and lengths.

It will depend on your saw type, of course, but I've seen where a customer made a sheet metal table that looked like a spiral - or a pig tail, if you can imagine that. The spiral went upward, so as the parts were cut and then indexed they would be going uphill on a gentle incline and stack against each other. This allowed them - in that case - to cut about 500 parts before the machine would need to be unloaded. The circular fashion took up almost no room - just about a 2' diameter beyond the end of the outfeed table that's part of the saw.

Also, I believe Royal makes an accumulation table setup that isn't too big.

Back