What's new
What's new

parts and info needed for 11" logan 912 lathe spindle repair

weissman42

Plastic
I am looking for some info regarding a logan 912 11" lathe i acquired recently.
the spindle has a bit of play in the rear bearing (opposite the spindle nose)
which seems to be caused by there being a set of belleville washers that are missing
from the spindle assembl. tightening the takeup nut does not seem to fix to problem
currently. i was wondering if anyone knows a source for these belleville washers.

below is a link to a google photos album with a few photos of the spindle.
also is a photo of the relevant parts diagram. the part missing is LA-1016 in my 1950
parts manual that came with the lathe. i cant seem to find any similar part on the logan
actuator company page.
Logan 912 Headstock - Google Photos

also wondering if anyone here knows the spindle disassembl procedure well.
so far i have the spindle gear and spacer and take up nut removed. seems like next step is
front bearing cover will need to be removed and spindle removed in that direction. thanks
all,
-Eian

Logan should at least have the specification for them.

Belleville springs have the usual ID/OD sizes, plus a force rating, which depends on the thickness. You want a largeish size, but not a particularly high force.

You should be able to source suitable ones through bearing distributors. You want "bearing preload" types. McMaster-Carr has them, with a reasonable range of sizes and force. I do not know if any will be of the force you need.

However, they can be stacked "nested" in order to increase the force. Stacking them "opposing" increases the total movement allowed, and/or may be necessary to apply the force how and where it is needed.

McMaster-Carr

If you give Logan Actuator a call, you'll likely be put on with the man himself (Scott Logan) who is pretty knowledgeable about the lathes. If they don't sell the part, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Logan wants $54 each for the washers, which seem to be available from mcmaster for about $11. I’ll try getting them from the bearing suppliers. I only paid $200 for the Lathe so trying not to exceed the value of the machine in washers right now. Makes me wonder if there’s something different about the ones they sourced? Or just a big markup. The compound gib i need From them is only $28 so was actually kinda shocked they want $54 for a single high carbon steel washer.

Could be it is not a stock part, and had to be special ordered. Might need a spring force that is not available stock. Things like that are generally more expensive by a good deal if they are custom made in small quantities.

Don't sweat the cost of the washers compared to the, [friggin cheap] purchase price of the lathe. You will blow WAY PAST the combined total in tooling in no time!:hole::D

A couple years from now, when you have 3-4 chucks, a drawer full of collets, and dozens of tool holders (don't laugh, thats the way it goes) the cost of refurbishing the lathe will seem very trivial.

Logan wants $54 each for the washers, which seem to be available from mcmaster for about $11. I’ll try getting them from the bearing suppliers. I only paid $200 for the Lathe so trying not to exceed the value of the machine in washers right now. Makes me wonder if there’s something different about the ones they sourced? Or just a big markup. The compound gib i need From them is only $28 so was actually kinda shocked they want $54 for a single high carbon steel washer.

just be glad there still there to buy parts from for when they go by the way side and your looking for some real parts and your trying to tell us that you would pay any price to get them all i have to say is ware were you when they needed you to keep the doors open speed cost money how fast do you want to go ?

6009 55.5 74.5

there is a set of belleville washers available that seem to fit the dimensions of the original ones very closely, they were $15 for two pair from mcmaster carr, will report back if they seem to do the trick. 55.5 mm id, 74.5 mm od.

6009 55.5 74.5
there are some on mcmaster with the above dimensions, they seem like they might do the trick. thanks for the advice. the mcmaster ones were $15 for 4 of them.

The mechanical fit is of course a requirement.

The question is whether they apply the correct preload force. Look at the force (working load) , which is 47 lb for those.

ha, turns out the belleville washers were there all along, they just werent doing anything because they were installed like this )) rather than this )(. took spindle apart and reassembled correctly. now it feels great, and no play. also drilled some holes in the face of the take up nut so that i can use a pin spanner to tighten . worked well using a plastic carpenters shim to hold the spindle bull gear while tightening.
EE3B6696-13F1-46C7-9F46-EFD27D7526F0.jpg
865EAB22-6CA2-4FF6-A23B-AFB7FEB55D28.jpg584C32CB-B232-4AFD-B438-EE0A9828C5AE.jpg7A847A0D-C324-4E90-AB9D-496736B66478.jpg

Back