What's new
What's new

Parts washing fluid for Ultrasonic Cleaner

DanASM

Hot Rolled
I got a small 15L Ultrasonic Cleaner recently and got 1 gal of https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/40282535
Master Fluid Solutions
(CLEAN2030/1)

I liked it a lot and am looking to get a 5 gal pail. The job I had recently that needed to be degreased was 8.75" long .250" round shaft (303 SS, 765 lbs for 5000 parts).

I was having some problems and time was an issue so I had one of my platers clean 2/3 of them for me for $315. It probably would have cost me close to that to do it in house. He did not have an ultrasonic tank but did have a bigger one than me and it could agitate. Due to the parts being threaded and knurled on each end I declined the agitation.

Now the job is coming back again and I am thinking of getting a bigger UC tank and trying to run a recirculating pump through a house filter and back into the top of the tank.

I am not looking for another pail of degreaser and I am seeing prices from $75 to almost $200. Due to my parts just needing to be degreased I am wondering if I am overdoing it with the stuff I used last time.

Master Fluid Solutions seem to have all kinds of stuff in many price ranges.

My parts dont need Passivation or any special certs. Just need to be clean enough to touch with bare hands.

Any ideas on the filter setup for my UC or any lower cost benchtop setup that I may be interested in please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan

How is the concentrate on those things. It looks like I was using 5%-10% dilution rate on the stuff I used. I see Liquinox calling for 1% dilution. It is way more expensive but it looks like its about the same price overall after dilution.

How is the concentrate on those things. It looks like I was using 5%-10% dilution rate on the stuff I used. I see Liquinox calling for 1% dilution. It is way more expensive but it looks like its about the same price overall after dilution.

Alconox and Liquinox are both made by the Alconox company. I've used Alconox and Alcojet, but not yet in an ultrasonic cleaner, but I expect that it works as advertised. Their stuff is always very good.

Aside from that, the standard non-detergent solution for ultrasonic cleaning is 10% isopropyl alcohol in plain water. Do not use pure alcohol - it doesn't work as well.

We had good luck using Formula 21 in our ultrasonic cleaner on stainless steel. Used full strength, its price for 5 gallons was good when we bought it.

"All-Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser is a super-concentrated cleaner/degreaser. Fast-acting, biodegradable, water-based blend of chelating salts and grease-cutting agents."

Have you tried Dawn dishwashing deteregent?

Yes I have. It is too hard to rinse off. Never liked Ajax or Dawn.

I think this is one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of thing. Different concentrates will give us different pricing, but in the end it will end up cleaning the same amount of parts for the same $$$.

Yes I have. It is too hard to rinse off. Never liked Ajax or Dawn.

I think this is one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of thing. Different concentrates will give us different pricing, but in the end it will end up cleaning the same amount of parts for the same $$$.

What concentration are you using? I use exclusively Fairy Liquid dish washing soap without issues. It easily cleans everything I've tried it with. Dish soap is a powerful emulsifier and degreaser and it leaves no film a simple dunk in clear clean water won't remove.

I have been using dish washing soap for years with no problems and it leaves no residue.

For tougher jobs, I use de-greaser from Home Depot.

Does your tank have a heater? Hot parts rinse off faster.

I use plain water in the tank and I place parts in different containers with various solutions including: dawn mix, acetone, 99% IPA. If your parts fit and you use your cleaner for all sorts of stuff like me it works well.

I recently bought an ebay China 15L ultrasonic cleaner. The plan was to was stainless parts in something other than kerosene. I thought I could skim the oil off the top and get more life out of the stew.

I noticed it took a while to warm up and I needed hot water for my 2 rinse bins. The next play was to buy a cheap coffee maker and use it for hot water prep. It has kept up as needed (so far).

Some parts I have coming back around are really greasy and we wipe the bars down with scotch brite pads and wet kerosene rags. It gets most of the grease off but ends up being a problem anyway.

These parts are knurled and I didnt want them in an agitating tank, getting smashed around. Threads and knurls are very important. I feel like a bigger UC tank would be great. Or maybe just an additional one.

I've used simple green and water, purple power and water, and Chem-crest 235. The have all done well for car parts.

Back