What's new
What's new

Permanent thread locker ideas

There are many different types of loctite "red" threadlockers, you havta look at the TDS for specs:

I use 263 a lot and if applied right you need quite a bit of heat to loosen it, I'm sure it will work for you.

Attachments

• Loctite 263.pdf
    80.4 KB · Views: 1
Does it have to be threaded? If the tube had a very small shoulder and the donut had a short taper at one end you could expand the end of the tube with a tapered mandrel in a press.

I make a part about the same size, but it's like a barbell and stuff gets assembled on the shaft before the ends are locked on. The shaft is solid 1/4" 1018 necked to .200" at the ends. Part goes in a fixture in a press and both ends are squished to lock it permanently.

If you run the parts (threads) together with an impact or nut runner tool
the localized heat can kick the reaction. This can lead to "fooling" the
torque driver (like a pulse tool) and lead to threaded assemblies that
are not tight. Especially concerning when the assemblies hold pressure
or oil. There are slow cure anerobics for these production assembly applications.
They also have high lubricity anerobics, like Loctite 2047 to prevent galling
when you have aluminum on aluminum or stainless joints.

-D

I suggest adding a few drops of Lincoln ER312 or similar high strength hot glue to the circumference of the joint. :)

If using Loctite and are worried it may harden before you have the piecs fully together, put the parts in the freezer first. It will give you a few minutes before it hardens.

Back