What's new
What's new

Photo electric control name/source

Bill D

Diamond
I would like to buy a simple 120 volt photo electric control unit. Just like all those for sale everywhere to turn lights on at dark and off at daylight. Only I want the reverse function to turn a pump on at daylight and off at dark.
All I can find is how to use a fancy PLC/ Ardeno unit to do this with a computer and bluetooth and custom programing..
Bill D

Wouldn't it be easy to setup a dusk-to-dawn sensor and a relay. Have the relay powering the pump until the dusk-dawn sensor kicks in and turns the pump off via the relay. I know you can buy a standalone dusk-dawn at the common home stores for cheap.

Wouldn't it be easy to setup a dusk-to-dawn sensor and a relay. Have the relay powering the pump until the dusk-dawn sensor kicks in and turns the pump off via the relay. I know you can buy a standalone dusk-dawn at the common home stores for cheap.

Maybe like this . . . . . .

Attachments

• PM 1.jpg
    PM 1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 9
Get one of those "dark ON" photoelectric sensors and connect it to a Normally Closed, Solid State Relay which then controls your pump.

At night the "dark ON" sensor will activate the relay OPENING the normally closed contacts. Therefore no power to the pump.

In daytime the sensor will turn off so the relay will not be activated. But since it is a Normally Closed relay, that means the pump will run.

If you don't like the price of the one from McMaster, you can search for alternatives. They are not as common as Normally Open style but they are out there. I like a solid state relay for this due to low power usage but a standard, mechanical relay would also work.

Surprised such things are hard to find. Back in the day light operated switches were almost a staple beginners project in the hobby electronics magazines and "Teach Yourself Electronics" books.

The one I made used a simple silicon photocell to directly drive one of the baby relays in an integrated circuit size package. When the light was bright enough it made sufficient power to turn the relay on which then turned the main relay on so the following device turned on. Nice thing was that it used no external power and was easy to adjust the light level at which it switched. Think I had to put a plate with a hole in front of the sensor to reduce the amount of light hitting it so it didn't turn on too early. I guess the sensor was around 1 inch diameter, can't recall what I nicked from the lab "handy surplus" cupboard.

Clive

I just thought there would be a factory made device for solar heating. I guess I have to make up a NO relay and drive the coil with a solar panel. and figure out how to enclose it all well enough for outdoor use.
Thanks for the timer idea. I can try that for now.
Bill D

Get one of those "dark ON" photoelectric sensors and connect it to a Normally Closed, Solid State Relay which then controls your pump.

At night the "dark ON" sensor will activate the relay OPENING the normally closed contacts. Therefore no power to the pump.

In daytime the sensor will turn off so the relay will not be activated. But since it is a Normally Closed relay, that means the pump will run.

If you don't like the price of the one from McMaster, you can search for alternatives. They are not as common as Normally Open style but they are out there. I like a solid state relay for this due to low power usage but a standard, mechanical relay would also work.
Hi dear, I want to purchase solid state relay SSR-10DA, 10A 3-32V DC to AC with these features but can't find and also don't know where to get it. Can you pls suggest? Here are the features:
  • Built in RC absorption
  • Photoelectric isolation
  • SCR output
  • LED indicator for operation status
  • Removable protective cover for safety
  • Panel mount
  • Zero-crossing switch type
Thank you!

Since you are not the OP, I guess this can't be taken seriously. Just an attempt to say my suggestion was not detailed enough - like with a manufacturer's name and actual part number. Oh, and a link to a 75% off wholesale price.

I don't think the OP needs or even wants most of the features you mention. And he certainly did not ask for DC to AC. He only mentioned 120 V and the context of his request points to AC, not DC.

Devices which turn things (usually lights) ON at night are like the stars in the sky, too numerous to count. But the OP wants one to turn his pump ON in the daytime and OFF at night. I did some searching and found that ready-made devices to do that are just plain difficult to find. Perhaps there are some, but they probably will be sold by high end, industrial control companies and will have a sky high price. I could be wrong, but I doubt that is what he wants.

So, unless he or someone spends a lot of time ($$$ because time is money) searching, his best course is to buy the components that are available and assemble them himself. Or get someone to do so for him. The normally closed relay that I suggested is readily available. In this day and age I strongly suggest a solid state one. They cost a bit more, but are a lot more reliable. They have longer life times. Yes, it will need an enclosure, but such electronic project boxes are readily obtainable. Wire, connectors or terminal boards, etc. Yes. But all are readily obtainable.

Unless someone just happens to know of a reasonably priced device that does what he wants, then I think my suggestion was his best choice. If you have a better suggestion, lets hear it.

Hi dear, I want to purchase solid state relay SSR-10DA, 10A 3-32V DC to AC with these features but can't find and also don't know where to get it. Can you pls suggest? Here are the features:
  • Built in RC absorption
  • Photoelectric isolation
  • SCR output
  • LED indicator for operation status
  • Removable protective cover for safety
  • Panel mount
  • Zero-crossing switch type
Thank you!

Driving a coil with a solar panel may work, but it is going to be a crap shoot to match those two components to get reliable switching action with things like clouds, rain, etc. You may wind up buying several of each before finding a combination that works like you want.

I do suggest that a photo-electric device that is intended to turn lights ON at night and a relay to reverse the action will be a far more reliable way to go.

I just thought there would be a factory made device for solar heating. I guess I have to make up a NO relay and drive the coil with a solar panel. and figure out how to enclose it all well enough for outdoor use.
Thanks for the timer idea. I can try that for now.
Bill D

Back