What's new
What's new

Places to list used industrial/commercial equipment?

huleo

Hot Rolled
I have several things on Egay and realizing the clicks on that stuff is next to nothing compared to how it was 10yrs ago. It leads me to believe that is not "the place" anymore. A couple listings should have been sold easily by now.

Don't mention "list here". I don't care to have our stuff on the server forever for later review.

I have several things on Egay and realizing the clicks on that stuff is next to nothing compared to how it was 10yrs ago. It leads me to believe that is not "the place" anymore. A couple listings should have been sold easily by now.

Don't mention "list here". I don't care to have our stuff on the server forever for later review.
What type of stuff? Machines, or tooling and accessories?

Example, air compressors, surplus exotic materials, machine tooling, etc.

The EDIT feature is live on the For Sale boards.
You can delete (or at least edit) them long after the fact.

Also, you don't need to post your phone number or whatnot here either, as someone can PM you, or at least reply to the post. I 'spose that there are folks that watch that stuff that are lurkers that can't doo either, but would call you, so ...

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Example, air compressors, surplus exotic materials, machine tooling, etc.
I know you're going to hate to hear this, but if the goal is to get it sold, Facebook Marketplace. I hate it too, but with ebay losing relevance for used items, and Craigslist dying a slow death, FB is what gets your stuff in front of people.

I sold that #3 W&S on Ebay last month, but Ebay came back at me and wanted to perform a proct exam on me before they would give me my money.

I opted to refund all the money to the buyer and hoped that they would send me a check.
They had already picked up the machine...

We got the check, and I'm not lookin' to run anything through them. Maybe smaller items?
It seems like they were after the fine print b/c my sale was over $750.
So maybe if it was under it would be better?
Either way, they have my account on hold. Not sure if that means that I can'r buy either, or just sell.
Will find out soon...

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

For real stuff, you may want to place ads on machinetools.com, but that aint free.

---------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!

I'm going to vote against Facebook. I refuse to make a profile on there and know a lot of people who are similar. They're as predatory as Google and I don't need to have my personal life out there on display in order to buy somebody's vise. It's just weird. It's also been abandoned by younger people and seems to be dying it's own death of being a Boomer platform. So I'll be one you won't reach.

No idea why all the hate for Craigslist. CL is now searchable for a thousand mile radius. I can search the entire country from three locations and a giant circle. It's also not going to block your funds or cause you other headaches.

Yeah, scammers. I had a few ebay auctions go bad where idiots bought the item and just never paid. One I just bought from and paid and never shipped. Scammers are a fact of life everywhere.

I think the symptom of not selling anything is not due to the reach but, because nobody is buying. I've been watching the entire country in a free fall since Covid and I don't dare step out onto the business ledge until it stops or stabilizes.

There are a number of current discussions on here of long-time businesses shutting down or thinking about it. I also got a machinery auction notice two days ago of a motorsports manufacturer going out of business and liquidating in Phoenix. It's like watching the car immediately in front of you get t-boned and burst into flames. Two seconds earlier out the door and it coulda' been me.

So there's a lot of stuff out there for sale and nobody to absorb it. Who's ramping up right now? Who needs more tooling?

I sold that #3 W&S on Ebay last month, but Ebay came back at me and wanted to perform a proct exam on me before they would give me my money.

I opted to refund all the money to the buyer and hoped that they would send me a check.
They had already picked up the machine...

We got the check, and I'm not lookin' to run anything through them. Maybe smaller items?
It seems like they were after the fine print b/c my sale was over $750.
So maybe if it was under it would be better?
Either way, they have my account on hold. Not sure if that means that I can'r buy either, or just sell.
Will find out soon...

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
This is why if I can't peel them away from there, I just won't sell. Not even worth it. A total joke! They have served China well.

ebay stinks to sell.......totally changed from the good ol days in the late 90's early 2000's
i have sold a bunch of stuff on FB..... some high dollar
just put "local pickup only --cash only on pickup-- no exceptions"
only had one scammer in months
i just have my daughter list....lol

I'm going to vote against Facebook. I refuse to make a profile on there and know a lot of people who are similar. They're as predatory as Google and I don't need to have my personal life out there on display in order to buy somebody's vise. It's just weird. It's also been abandoned by younger people and seems to be dying it's own death of being a Boomer platform. So I'll be one you won't reach.

No idea why all the hate for Craigslist. CL is now searchable for a thousand mile radius. I can search the entire country from three locations and a giant circle. It's also not going to block your funds or cause you other headaches.

Yeah, scammers. I had a few ebay auctions go bad where idiots bought the item and just never paid. One I just bought from and paid and never shipped. Scammers are a fact of life everywhere.

I think the symptom of not selling anything is not due to the reach but, because nobody is buying. I've been watching the entire country in a free fall since Covid and I don't dare step out onto the business ledge until it stops or stabilizes.

There are a number of current discussions on here of long-time businesses shutting down or thinking about it. I also got a machinery auction notice two days ago of a motorsports manufacturer going out of business and liquidating in Phoenix. It's like watching the car immediately in front of you get t-boned and burst into flames. Two seconds earlier out the door and it coulda' been me.

So there's a lot of stuff out there for sale and nobody to absorb it. Who's ramping up right now? Who needs more tooling?
Nailed it! Exactly my position. First thing people do is go see who is doing the selling. FB has ZERO website security, yet people puke ALL their personals onto that site! It is a huge problem that China//Russia loves! It is the information age.

So many people dumping that tyrant FB co, and I'd say very few of the REAL pro machine guys are on there. I only use it for market place and light social. I know the types that are on there. And I know the types that aren't......men that spend real money on equipment.

I don't hate Craigslist, I love it actually, but it only works if other buyers and sellers are on there. In my area (Mobile/Pensacola), there's not much posted anymore. Likewise, stuff I post on there gets no attention. I post a boat trailer to Craigslist, and I get no responses in a week (other than the onslaught of obvious scams you get in the first 15 minutes). I post it on FB with the same pics, description and price, and I get multiple interested people, and someone showing up with cash to buy it.

I used to buy and sell all kinds of stuff on Craigslist, but that had really been dying down in recent years. A little over a year ago, I finally broke down and signed up for FB, and I've bought and sold tens of thousands of $$ worth of stuff on there since, and next to nothing on CL, despite often listing things on both, and browsing both.

Craigslist is way better in a lot of ways, especially searching, grouping by distance, etc. FB sucks for all that, but FB is where the traffic is.

I know you're going to hate to hear this, but if the goal is to get it sold, Facebook Marketplace. I hate it too, but with ebay losing relevance for used items, and Craigslist dying a slow death, FB is what gets your stuff in front of people.
Does FB MP work better on an app on a phone than it does on an actual PC? God I would hope cause it sucks bad on PC.
I still use good ole' Craigslist. Sold two CNC's on there to date, and tons of other stuff. Before I quit selling for the most part.
Can't deal with people/scammers anymore. Seems like only a very small percentage of transactions go smoothly.
Ebay, where to start...........Havent sold anything on there since THEY scammed me out of $1,700.00 15 years ago.
Still buy on ebay often. It really sucks that they let the tax man in. And the deals are not as abundant. But, I find it a viable option for buying.
Selling? No freaking way!

I don't hate Craigslist, I love it actually, but it only works if other buyers and sellers are on there. In my area (Mobile/Pensacola), there's not much posted anymore. Likewise, stuff I post on there gets no attention. I post a boat trailer to Craigslist, and I get no responses in a week (other than the onslaught of obvious scams you get in the first 15 minutes). I post it on FB with the same pics, description and price, and I get multiple interested people, and someone showing up with cash to buy it.

I used to buy and sell all kinds of stuff on Craigslist, but that had really been dying down in recent years. A little over a year ago, I finally broke down and signed up for FB, and I've bought and sold tens of thousands of $$ worth of stuff on there since, and next to nothing on CL, despite often listing things on both, and browsing both.

Craigslist is way better in a lot of ways, especially searching, grouping by distance, etc. FB sucks for all that, but FB is where the traffic is.
I'd question your sales prices vs market. All I have found on FB is people that want it for free. If you list bicycles for $5, yep, the bottom feeders headed over in the busted up minivan. If you got a nice trailer that cost $8000 new and you selling for $1100 2yrs later, yep, they on the way with cash.

But the reality is no one is on FB searching for a Matsuura HMC or anything in 6 figs for that matter. Why? Because business ower/CEO types don't have time for it. It's not organized AT ALL!

I cannot deny there is traffic and sold plenty of stuff there that was cheap. Gave away my nice $1500 grill for $200 and a Mexican loaded that up quick fast. Another where we had a very large air tank for sale. We were only asking about 2x scrap price. Lowered price to test market at below scrap, yep, people asking if we can load it for free. F that.

Well, for those supporting FB, I understand but, there's also the noise one has to sift through. I have a burner account so I can at least browse.

The amount of trash that has zero to do with what I'm looking for is maddening. Motorcycle searches are nearly impossible. It prioritizes things it thinks are relevant (other motorcycles) but, nearer to me, over the thing I'm looking for but, 500 miles away. I often find bikes or parts that have been listed for many weeks but, never shown because FB decided for me that I wasn't willing to drive that far.

Exactly! If guy spends 10 mins looking for a few random things on CL, the same search will take an hour or more on FB. I hate it.
Honestly, I can't even figure out how to use it effectively. Its crap. At least on a real PC.
And I'm not one of those people that live off their phone, so don't tell me to "get the app".

Related story: a guy in Shawnee, OK listed a motorcycle for sale on CL. It was on the cheap side of the scale but, not a give-away. It wasn't running so the price reflected that. I still wanted it. Contacted him, told him I'd take it and headed out from California. Hooked up the trailer, left, texted him a few times the first day. I'm in Albuquerque for the night. See you tomorrow.

Next day, Google says like 4:00 arrival. I'm not hearing anything back so I call him as I cross from Texas into Oklahoma to confirm. He's kind of stunned: "You're really coming?"

"Yeah, I told you I'd take it."

"Man, my wife is gonna be pissed. She bet me $5 that no crazy man is coming from California to buy my stupid motorcycle."

Related story: a guy in Shawnee, OK listed a motorcycle for sale on CL. It was on the cheap side of the scale but, not a give-away. It wasn't running so the price reflected that. I still wanted it. Contacted him, told him I'd take it and headed out from California. Hooked up the trailer, left, texted him a few times the first day. I'm in Albuquerque for the night. See you tomorrow.

Next day, Google says like 4:00 arrival. I'm not hearing anything back so I call him as I cross from Texas into Oklahoma to confirm. He's kind of stunned: "You're really coming?"

"Yeah, I told you I'd take it."

"Man, my wife is gonna be pissed. She bet me $5 that no crazy man is coming from California to buy my stupid motorcycle."
Being a bike guy myself, now I have to ask if this was some rare Triumph or something? TZ250?

Back