What's new
What's new

Places to list used industrial/commercial equipment?

1999 Excelsior-Henderson Super X. I sent this to a friend from Oklahoma City (Tinker Air Force Base) on the return, about an hour after loading up. His wife was absolutely convinced it was a scam and I wasn't coming.

Oklahoma.jpg

Nailed it! Exactly my position. First thing people do is go see who is doing the selling.
This is exactly the benefit of FB marketplace and why its killing craigslist. You can go see who is doing the selling (or buying) and have at least a tiny bit of confidence that its not a scam.
I sold that #3 W&S on Ebay last month, but Ebay came back at me and wanted to perform a proct exam on me before they would give me my money.
You can thank ye olde government for that. Ebay is required to send you a 1099K if you sell over $600 worth of stuff.

1999 Excelsior-Henderson Super X. I sent this to a friend from Oklahoma City (Tinker Air Force Base) on the return, about an hour after loading up. His wife was absolutely convinced it was a scam and I wasn't coming.

View attachment 417887
That's a cool piece of history! Short of sweet and similar to the Indian story. But that is a 'trailer' you don't want to forget about when you back up.

This is exactly the benefit of FB marketplace and why its killing craigslist. You can go see who is doing the selling (or buying) and have at least a tiny bit of confidence that its not a scam.

You can thank ye olde government for that. Ebay is required to send you a 1099K if you sell over $600 worth of stuff.
Damn, I better review the latest terms. I might want to just pull our stuff now.

Damn, I better review the latest terms. I might want to just pull our stuff now.
If you're still selling, they have your SSN. That came last year and they froze accounts until they had that on file.

I'm not an accountant but, from the accountant videos on the much-maligned YouTube, the gist is that the government isn't going to let you 'swear' to a price you paid for something. Don't have the receipt for that $1,000 thing you just sold for $500? So sad. Pay us income tax on the whole $500. They know nobody has records and they want people to roll over and take it.

All those auditors they hired? They're coming for us. I'm waiting to confirm when I do taxes this year, what this whole 1099 eBay process looks like.

If you're still selling, they have your SSN. That came last year and they froze accounts until they had that on file.

I'm not an accountant but, from the accountant videos on the much-maligned YouTube, the gist is that the government isn't going to let you 'swear' to a price you paid for something. Don't have the receipt for that $1,000 thing you just sold for $500? So sad. Pay us income tax on the whole $500. They know nobody has records and they want people to roll over and take it.

All those auditors they hired? They're coming for us. I'm waiting to confirm when I do taxes this year, what this whole 1099 eBay process looks like.
Oddly, I would never have given them my SSN, EIN, etc. Have had an acct for over 20yrs but haven't used for prob 6, then returned just to sell some stuff. Oddly, we used to run a lot of business through them. At that time I think it was like a 20K cap AND 200 transactions will earn you a 1099. Something like that. I figured the IRS would go after the low hanging fruit first.

We will prob ALL have to fight back together to beat this. As a sharp business mind told me, "that is 70,000 new hammers looking for a nail". How about you go seal the fucking border first!!!!!!!!!!! BIDEN!!!!!!

Well, for those supporting FB, I understand but, there's also the noise one has to sift through. I have a burner account so I can at least browse.

The amount of trash that has zero to do with what I'm looking for is maddening. Motorcycle searches are nearly impossible. It prioritizes things it thinks are relevant (other motorcycles) but, nearer to me, over the thing I'm looking for but, 500 miles away. I often find bikes or parts that have been listed for many weeks but, never shown because FB decided for me that I wasn't willing to drive that far.

Yeah. I'm searching for a second sled.
I put in the search engine that I am looking for a yellow one, and it pulls up all the purple and green ones as well.
(So far - not many blue)

But they aren't near me anyhow, as I have my search point in South Dakota or Colorado....

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Dealers out here (SD) have more sleds than they can move, might not be too bad to try with a few, although they're much cheaper out of season.

Might be too late this year, I can see the slopes about fifteen miles (and 4000 feet up) from my house as the crow flies. They've got plenty of the fluffy white stuff up there already.

1400 miles+ for a frostbite special. You must like your winter sports!

I hate Facebook for all the reasons already mentioned.

Craigslist was great when there was stuff on there to buy.

Craigslist fucked up when they took the personals down. The personals drove all the traffic. Kept things interesting.

Marketplace functionality is bad compared to Craigslist, but Marketplace has the endless scroll of Facebook bullshit to entertain the mouth breathing masses. Sad, but Facebook is the way to buy and sell currently.

But the reality is no one is on FB searching for a Matsuura HMC or anything in 6 figs for that matter. Why? Because business ower/CEO types don't have time for it. It's not organized AT ALL!
Wait a minute, you're moving the goalposts. I first asked whether you were talking about machines, or tooling/accessories, and you suggested the latter. In the case of machines, pay the few bucks to put it on machinetools.com. Set your ad apart from all the other used machine dealers on there by listing a price.

Wait a minute, you're moving the goalposts. I first asked whether you were talking about machines, or tooling/accessories, and you suggested the latter. In the case of machines, pay the few bucks to put it on machinetools.com. Set your ad apart from all the other used machine dealers on there by listing a price.
I mention that as an example because I doubt many folks are on FB looking for 800mm pallets! Going to try it anyway.

I have several things on Egay and realizing the clicks on that stuff is next to nothing compared to how it was 10yrs ago. It leads me to believe that is not "the place" anymore. A couple listings should have been sold easily by now.

Don't mention "list here". I don't care to have our stuff on the server forever for later review.

Host the images through imgur and then insert the links in your WTS post. They will display here like regular pictures. When you no longer need the ad; go back to imgur and delete the pics.

This will break the link and remove the pics anywhere that you've shared them.

Ebay has largely destroyed itself through its draconian tax compliance strategy.

You should have the right to sell your equipment for cash and report your own profit without a tattle-tale system in place.

I don't hate Craigslist, I love it actually, but it only works if other buyers and sellers are on there. In my area (Mobile/Pensacola), there's not much posted anymore. Likewise, stuff I post on there gets no attention. I post a boat trailer to Craigslist, and I get no responses in a week (other than the onslaught of obvious scams you get in the first 15 minutes). I post it on FB with the same pics, description and price, and I get multiple interested people, and someone showing up with cash to buy it

I couldn't agree more. Im not on FB though so it makes it difficult for me.

I had a 2001 audi with nearly 500k miles on it, I bugged my sister for the last two weeks to list the thing for me. Finally, she listed it last night... 25 mins later she calls me saying; "I've got a kid begging to come get the car immediately and 4 more lined up who want to see it tomorrow."

Sure enough, from live ad to cash in hand was 1.5 hours. I did a lot of craigslist hustling when I was a kid but I've never sold a car that fast in my life - you'd have thought I was giving it away or something.

Reactions: Ox
Oddly, I would never have given them my SSN, EIN, etc. Have had an acct for over 20yrs but haven't used for prob 6, then returned just to sell some stuff. Oddly, we used to run a lot of business through them. At that time I think it was like a 20K cap AND 200 transactions will earn you a 1099. Something like that. I figured the IRS would go after the low hanging fruit first.
Odd coincidence: one of the videos I watched about the upcoming tax changes had an update today. Looks like there is a reprieve for this year because the IRS isn't ready. But next year...

You guys avoiding FB: Why? I've had an account for years and use it for exactly 2 things: Finding info from small local companies that don't have websites and marketplace. I have no profile, have never posted anything, and have it linked to my old yahoo address that I never even look at. You don't need to supply any significant personal information.

Ex: My hay supplier ran out early this year. Craigslist had nothing except for scams and out of state stuff. I found a farmer on FB marketplace that I didn't know about located 15 minutes away. Great hay, good price, old guy answered my FB message in a few minutes. There were a half dozen other options. Craigslist is mostly dead.

You guys avoiding FB: Why? I've had an account for years and use it for exactly 2 things: Finding info from small local companies that don't have websites and marketplace. I have no profile, have never posted anything, and have it linked to my old yahoo address that I never even look at. You don't need to supply any significant personal information.
Simply put, your own ignorance highlights much of this that others CAN see. It actually is NOT a conspiracy 'theory', it is a FACT! Lets start with your device. IP address, mac ID, traffic pattern, use of your microphone to spy, geolocation, where you go, etc, etc, etc. I can 100% guarantee all of that from very reliable sources. It is the 'information age'. Even your own modern car is tracking you! Some people take steps to minimize this invasion!

This is true and basically what I have for the same reasons. Problem is: that also looks like scammer activity to lots of people. I've had problems getting people to believe I'm real when I try to contact them through legit sources so I can meet and buy their thing. I have links that can I can provide to other fixed sites that prove who I am and who they're dealing with. But then internet safety says to not go to links that scammers tell you to click or go to. They won't call. "Nice try scammer." It's a Catch 22.

In Canada I use Kijiji lot. It’s lot as popular as it once was. But it’s easier to search on. You can do all of Canada and not just regionally as on fb.
Just picked up a lathe on it actually. Waiting delivery :)

Simply put, your own ignorance highlights much of this that others CAN see. It actually is NOT a conspiracy 'theory', it is a FACT! Lets start with your device. IP address, mac ID, traffic pattern, use of your microphone to spy, geolocation, where you go, etc, etc, etc. I can 100% guarantee all of that from very reliable sources. It is the 'information age'. Even your own modern car is tracking you! Some people take steps to minimize this invasion!
If Mark Zuckerberg wants to jack off to my browsing of the practical machinists forum and by tracking my exciting visits to the grocery store, I wish him well.

You're probably right, but at the end of the day, so what? All this tracking of our lives is for one purpose: sales and marketing. They're just trying to pinpoint the ads the relate to your life, stuff you're interested in, assessing your needs and habits,...all because they want to SELL you something.

Companies and people all buy stuff. And other companies are fiercely competing for the business.

I've put up with walk-in salesman at the shop for almost 27 years. Getting "sold to" without asking for it, that's just a part of life in America...

ToolCat

Last edited:

Back