What's new
What's new

Plastic Granulator Sizing? 7.5 vs 15 HP

jhov

Cast Iron
Does anyone have experience with plastic granulators? I'm debating between a 7.5HP and a 15HP granulator. Are there any functional differences in capability other than just raw throughput and chute size? Would 7.5HP have the power to granulate something as thick and tough as a plastic pallet? I would think so, but I'd hate to buy the smaller unit to save some money to have it stall on me.

I don't know, but working plastic takes a lot more power than you'd think. It's not uncommon to see plastic extruders run 20,000HP.

Then again, you haven't given nearly enough information on what you are doing for anyone to give good advice. Try talking to the company that makes them.

Definitely OT. But at last, a question in my wheelhouse, I was in the plastic recycling business in Pittsburgh for 20+ years.

"Are there any functional differences in capability other than just raw throughput and chute size?" Nope, that's it, but that's a BIG thing.

"Would 7.5HP have the power to granulate something as thick and tough as a plastic pallet?" No way in hell. First off, you'd have to cut it up (sawzall, big bandsaw) into bite-sized pieces to get a pallet into even a 15hp granulator (which is really small, typically used "press-side" at a molding plant). If you did that, sure, it would grind it, slowly.

You need to supply some basic info. Why are you grinding pallets? They are generally the dregs of the business, made out of who-knows-what (with some significant exceptions). If you are grinding plastic as a business, then you need to be looking at 75hp and up, just due to the labor involved and what it will work out to on a per pound basis to grind with a small machine. If you accumulate pallets as a part of another business, and think grinding them up is good idea, thing again. Like I said, one wrong type of plastic in the mix and your 1000 pound bag or box just became less than worthless.

There are plenty of companies around you in Ohio that do this professionally, talk to some of them. Send me a PM if you want and I'll suggest some.

Big shredders have supplanted granulators in this part of the grinding market, for good reason. Pallets are filthy, and granulator blades chip easily on the little rocks.

People used to ask me how I got in the plastic recycling business. I'd always say "bad luck", only a little tongue in cheek.

Jeff

Definitely OT. But at last, a question in my wheelhouse, I was in the plastic recycling business in Pittsburgh for 20+ years.

"Are there any functional differences in capability other than just raw throughput and chute size?" Nope, that's it, but that's a BIG thing.

"Would 7.5HP have the power to granulate something as thick and tough as a plastic pallet?" No way in hell. First off, you'd have to cut it up (sawzall, big bandsaw) into bite-sized pieces to get a pallet into even a 15hp granulator (which is really small, typically used "press-side" at a molding plant). If you did that, sure, it would grind it, slowly.

You need to supply some basic info. Why are you grinding pallets? They are generally the dregs of the business, made out of who-knows-what (with some significant exceptions). If you are grinding plastic as a business, then you need to be looking at 75hp and up, just due to the labor involved and what it will work out to on a per pound basis to grind with a small machine. If you accumulate pallets as a part of another business, and think grinding them up is good idea, thing again. Like I said, one wrong type of plastic in the mix and your 1000 pound bag or box just became less than worthless.

There are plenty of companies around you in Ohio that do this professionally, talk to some of them. Send me a PM if you want and I'll suggest some.

Big shredders have supplanted granulators in this part of the grinding market, for good reason. Pallets are filthy, and granulator blades chip easily on the little rocks.

People used to ask me how I got in the plastic recycling business. I'd always say "bad luck", only a little tongue in cheek.

Jeff

I'm not looking to enter into the recycling business. I will need something to grind up sprues and the like press side from small parts, but I thought it'd be useful to have the capacity to recycle stuff I come across and plastic pallets are the thickest/toughest plastic items I regularly acquire. It sounds like to even have a chance at it I'll need the largest machine I can get.

OK, so you are looking for a press-side grinder. My suggestion is to size the grinder for that need, because it really won't be worth it to grind anything else. Like I said, pallets are a non-starter. Nobody will buy your pallet regrind, and it would take far more time/money to grind it that it would sell for, even if you could.

So, capacity. I'd look at the manufacturers websites for the machines you are considering or similar ones if not available. They will quote a pounds per hour. Cut that in half for real-world numbers with various resins, etc. Sprues means injection so typically can use quite small grinders, 10 hp is common. Bigger machine will take up more space, cost more, knives cost more to buy and sharpen, but really won't use much more electricity. Get a spare set of knives and keep a sharp set ready. Press-side, you won't go through them very often because your stuff is clean. Make sure you adjust them properly when installed (manufacturer will provide a procedure and a gap setting).

Auctions are a good source if you can wait a while and want to save some money.

Good luck,

Jeff

OK, so you are looking for a press-side grinder. My suggestion is to size the grinder for that need, because it really won't be worth it to grind anything else. Like I said, pallets are a non-starter. Nobody will buy your pallet regrind, and it would take far more time/money to grind it that it would sell for, even if you could.

So, capacity. I'd look at the manufacturers websites for the machines you are considering or similar ones if not available. They will quote a pounds per hour. Cut that in half for real-world numbers with various resins, etc. Sprues means injection so typically can use quite small grinders, 10 hp is common. Bigger machine will take up more space, cost more, knives cost more to buy and sharpen, but really won't use much more electricity. Get a spare set of knives and keep a sharp set ready. Press-side, you won't go through them very often because your stuff is clean. Make sure you adjust them properly when installed (manufacturer will provide a procedure and a gap setting).

Auctions are a good source if you can wait a while and want to save some money.

Good luck,

Jeff
Are you still in the plastic recycling business?

No, exited in 2016, sold the business. Went back to my first love, flying! I still enjoy reading this board now and then though, I've learned a lot here over the years.

How big are the parts you want to grind? What wall thicknesses? I would say go bigger on the grinder, or at least heavier, as they make one hellofa racket. Our parts were up to 1/4" wall super tough nylon and 1/2" wall gf polycarb and they banged around like mad gettig ground up.

Back