What's new
What's new

Plate Beveling

Anyways....for thick plate you can't beat O/A for a clean cut. And, I might be wrong, but I think O/A doesn't leave a nitrided edge

How deep are you needing to bevel? I used a handheld beveling machine on 5/8 plate "back in the day." It's noisy, but less time consuming than a track torch and a finish grind. However, that was 5/8 plate....if you are doing that many feet of thick plate and need to bevel deep, then I'd use a track torch.

How deep are you needing to bevel? I used a handheld beveling machine on 5/8 plate "back in the day." It's noisy, but less time consuming than a track torch and a finish grind. However, that was 5/8 plate....if you are doing that many feet of thick plate and need to bevel deep, then I'd use a track torch.
We bevel 3/8" on the 1 1/2" and 3/4" on the 3"

I've looked at a few of these. Have you used one? I'm wondering about the cost and how long the cutters last, how quick they go etc. I'm not sure if they would be better then plasma beveling? But I haven't been around one, I've talked to a few tool reps and they don't know if the hand held one would last with the bevels we are doing.
Not to rain (too hard) on that parade, they say in the video that the max bevel width is 15mm.

I sorta suspect, that by the time you reach a Beveler capable of the two inch thick plate you are looking for, a used Huron or Cincinnati mill is gonna look like a real cost effective alternative! Esp. if it happens a LOT, where the cost of running a big gas torch 'may' make the bean counters flinch some.

All you guys pushing milling the bevel did read that some of these are 20 feet long, right? How many cutters will he need to make a 20 foot long bevel on 2 or 3" plate? Track torch and Oxy fuel all the way, I would look seriously at using propane instead of acetylene.

All you guys pushing milling the bevel did read that some of these are 20 feet long, right? How many cutters will he need to make a 20 foot long bevel on 2 or 3" plate? Track torch and Oxy fuel all the way, I would look seriously at using propane instead of acetylene.
Propolene. Cheaper yet. Uses less oxygen. I can not see a mill coming close time wise either. I saw anything 18” or shorter- after that on the table and torch.

How do you plan on keeping that from pulling out of shape?
Heavy duty alignment jigs, Spacer bars, Chains, Come-alongs, and jumping around with our welds to reduce warp as much as possible. I'm always open to new, better ideas. I have always had the mentality if you didn't learn something new today you had a crappy day.

Heavy duty alignment jigs, Spacer bars, Chains, Come-alongs, and jumping around with our welds to reduce warp as much as possible. I'm always open to new, better ideas. I have always had the mentality if you didn't learn something new today you had a crappy day.
Sounds like you have it covered.

I hate fighting distortion, it's tough to win. Fixture the damn thing to High Heaven, and the sucker springs out of shape the moment you remove the fixtures. Sucks.

Healthy preheats alleviate some of the problem, but only too often, it's off to grab the torch to flame straighten it. If you haven't already, consider becoming familiar with heat shrinking. It's a life saver sometimes.

Take care, and good luck with it.

Back