What's new
What's new

pneumatic auto jacks

1dogandnoexes

Aluminum
I have a 1998 4Runner which is my daily driver to and from work. The conditions of the roads in Washington D.C. and the afternoon traffic give it a daily beating and it needs service frequently. I'd like to get pneumatic jacks, with a small footprint (either bag style or bottle jack style) to quickly lift the vehicle, do the service, and set it back down. Any input on these types of jacks is appreciated.

add the hopefully-unneeded safety warning
I've heard any number of stories of guys getting trapped or crushed under their cars when a jack let loose, an improvised stand like a cinderblock collapsed, or the car rolled off a support. It finally happened to someone I knew personally a few years ago. Autopsy said he suffocated, which must have been a miserable way to go.

When I was 17 my father had a 1970 Nova that needed a new clutch. He put it up on cinder blocks and we worked under it, including a big fight to get the transmission to butt up to the bell housing. Finally we got it in and rolled out from under the car. While we were standing there catching our breath, suddenly the cinder blocks crumbled to dust and the car dropped. That was way too close. Never use cinder blocks to hold up a car.

I was taught, using a jack on the side of the road, put the spare under the car as soon as there is room under. Once the bad wheel is off it goes under until it is Time to drop the jack. This way the extra wheel acts as a safety block. You may still be crushed a bit and trapped but not all the way flat and dead.
Bill D

I remember as a teenager, setting a scissor jack on a cinder block and using my brand new air impact wrench to raise the car. The cinder block exploded like a pipe bomb. That sure left an impression.

When I was a kid,we didnt have jacks ,cars were raised up with a long pole over a log ............Couldnt afford cinder blocks neither ,just lumps of wood ....Used to sneak split firewood out of the heap without being seen ..........if you were seen ,youd have to split another half ton of firewood after school.

Why does almost every thread turn in to a safety lecture? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
You are not your brothers keeper.
It is not your business.
Just stating common sense things to give you something to yap about ?
That falls under the category of, Get a life.

-Doozer

Why does almost every thread turn in to a safety lecture? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
You are not your brothers keeper.
It is not your business.
Just stating common sense things to give you something to yap about ?
That falls under the category of, Get a life.

-Doozer

I would agree with you on the safety lecture part BUT.

I believe that we ARE OUR BROTHERS KEEPER.

There was an article in the Jr college newspaper when I was there. A student at home had his car up on a jack working under it. Something happened and it fell off the jack pinning him. He was rescued fairly soon and had internal injuriess but little or no permanent damage. Thing is he was an auto shop student. H said he he thought the safety lectures and jack stands were just for school if the instructor was watching.
I saw another student around campus several times. maybe 25 years old. used canes and crutches, walked very slow,bent over like a old man, obviously in pain. I was told he was Evil Kenevil's rival Super Joe Einhorn. Not as good, more crashes and more broken bits. I believe he had brain damage by the time I saw him. Did he pay attention to safety lectures? What do you think.
BilL D

A regular hydraulic bottle jack with an air pump to power it gives you both hand and air power. Less likely to pop and fail then a bag type.
BilL D

Back