What's new
What's new

Pneumatic Bar feeder, Shop build. Mcode help?

DanASM

Hot Rolled
I am getting my cnc lathe running lately and am wondering about a bar feeder scenario. I wanted to get a short magazine loader, and still might in the future. I had someone tell me they use a gravity fed loader, which I am familiar with but dont see any available for cheap at the moment.

I had made a single tube air fed one for a Brown and Sharpe in the past, but I had it switched to a trip dog and had my finger on the feed stop as the longer bars took longer to push forward than when they got under 6' long.

I am thinking about making another one but need to figure out how to use an M code to trigger the air solonoid, and pause for the appropriate amount of time.

Does anyone have any ideas? I know how the part chute works, and feel like its the same situation. Would I have to change a parameter or do I have to get the manufacturer to open a few of the machines "options" to get an additional M code?

Getting closer to letting chips fly and dont want to waste a tool spot on a bar puller.

Could you possibly add any of the pertinent information like what machine it is, what kind of control, if the operation or wiring manuals for the machine have a section on using the spare M-codes and connecting the M-start and M-fin circuits?

Could you possibly add any of the pertinent information like what machine it is, what kind of control, if the operation or wiring manuals for the machine have a section on using the spare M-codes and connecting the M-start and M-fin circuits?
Hardinge gt, Fanuc 18T.

I am reading about "purchased options" and how to turn them on in the manual.

It looks like it has options for...Bar Feed, Parts Catcher, Internal Chuck, Air Blast, and Tool Probe. It shows how to turn them on and off, but I am not at the shop to try it out. I can imagine using the air blast feature to make it work, I think the Bar Feed option is for the barfeed interface for a PLC based loader.

It seems like it should be fairly easy to figure out. I do have to get the parts catcher working now too, I have no pressure to the gage for the parts catcher now.

how big of bars do you anticipate using to begin with, how many RPMs? Gravity fed with 1/4 to 5/8 bars could work at moderate RPMs. The photos are of one on our AHC with Omniturn,it is OK with bars from 3/16 to 1/2.The Hardinge Value series hydro dynamic we have on our GT will allow all sizes from 1/8 to 1 inch to be run at the allowable spindle speed of the machine.
Shop built gravity fed will not require any special M codes. Actually, I do not remember any special M-codes necessary with the Hardinge feeder. I will have to look at a couple of programs to be sure. Just checked and only saw M21 and M22 to open and close the collet.

BarFeed1RS.jpgBarFeed2Rs.jpgBarFeed3RS.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to be able to run anything from 1/8" up to 1.0625" Stainless.

I was looking at the Hydraulic ones and kind of like them, but they cost like $2k ish. Thats not far from the magazine style short loaders prices, which I would buy if I decide to spend real $ on this.

I am thinking of the shop built air fed one for low cost of entry. Might even just use a bar puller temporarily to get used to running the machine.

Back