What's new
What's new

Pneumatic Collet Closers for HLVH, DSM, DV?

car2

Plastic
Hello,
I was inquiring if there was/is available any "stock" or off-the-shelf-ish pneumatic 5C collet closers for HLVH, DSM, DV, chucker lathes. I've seen these on various customized lathes (they appear to look like custom gizmos). If anyone has one for sale, I'd be interested also. Thank you, Charles

I think Hardinge made air-operated 5C closers for a number of their models. I think Dunham and maybe Royal made aftermarket 5C air-operated 5C closers for various lathes. I cannot recall seeing a JFK pneumatic closer.

I once bought a Hardinge pneumatic closer for a Hardinge chucker and used the tube assembly and other parts to repair a lever closer for an HLV-H.

Larry

Hello,
I was inquiring if there was/is available any "stock" or off-the-shelf-ish pneumatic 5C collet closers for HLVH, DSM, DV, chucker lathes. I've seen these on various customized lathes (they appear to look like custom gizmos). If anyone has one for sale, I'd be interested also. Thank you, Charles
Charles,
I may have what you're looking for.
This closer had come with a T-10 I had bought years ago; I hooked up some pneumatic hoses I had laying around, and it worked good.
On the hlv-h, it fits fine but when I tighten up the ''piston'' against the collet, the black fitting pushes against the black hand wheel and jams the spindle. On my ''manual'' closer, there's a serrated nut that fits on the spindle and buts before it can push against the hand wheel; don't know if I'm missing some kind of spacer though....
Let me know if I've got finger trouble, as I'm not a machinist, just a hobbyist.
Herman

Issue solved: I made a spacer approx. .125'' thick, slid it down on the tube, and it works perfectly. The closer now butts against the spindle instead of on the hand wheel. Unfortunately, there's no p/n on the closer nor in the parts book.

Attachments

• collet closer-1.jpg
    collet closer-1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 15
  • collet closer-5.jpg
    collet closer-5.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 16
  • collet closer-4.jpg
    collet closer-4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 17
  • collet closer-2.jpg
    collet closer-2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 18
  • collet closer-6.jpg
    collet closer-6.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thank you Larry, so you don't have one in your extensive collection..?:)

Thank you Herman, that looks interesting. That wasn't actually used with a T10 CNC lathe I assume. I honestly don't know anything about the pneumatic closers for the Hardinge, although I have an HLVEM and am very familiar with that and the manual closer; I would suspect as you mentioned that a spacer or some-such is missing/required. It's also good to know what it looks like in general.

I'm looking for one to set up a prototype production process on another lathe, that involves forming some Ti parts which I've been doing on the HLVEM, and the pneumatic closer is needed to provide a uniform pressure on the part held in a dead-length collet.

If you're interested in parting with it, please send me a private message. Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the time and input. Thanks, Charles
(I just noticed for some reason I was "demoted" to "plastic" after 14 years, my ego is severely bruised, but I will try to recover...)

I have a pneumatic collet closer on my HC. There is an air cylinder that I'm guessing replaces the lever...I'll update with some picture when I get to the shop...I found a video showing it in operation. The problem in the video was resolved by opening the cylinder and tightening the nut that hold the rod.

My apologies for the late response, and thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I opted for getting a new one from Dunham, since I didn't want to risk having to replace bearings, seals etc.
Dunham Tool has a "kit" for the DV and DSM lathes, and it works very well, and is very well made. It consists of the collet-tube, closer, and mounting bracket suitable for the DV lathes. Basically, all that is required is to drill holes for the dog-screws that attach the closer knurled knob to the closer tube (they provide a tube bushing to insert into the screw holes), and indicate/center the closer. The spindle adapter mount they provide with the kit, and the draw-tube work perfectly, requiring no machining or modification. There's about 1.5" of extra tube, which can be cut off, but I didn't bother, and needed to attach a vacuum fitting so it came in handy. I would recommend this closer, it works very well. The kit also comes with a lever valve switch (with regulator and gauge), and hoses.
I have installed a Hardinge custom dead-length collet that clamps a small delicate part, and the closer works very well with a gentle clamping force. The pressure is turned down low (changed the gauge to a 0-15 PSI gauge). This closer is pretty big, since it is used in larger applications, but works very well on the DV lathe.
I removed the oil pump, and used the flang/screws it to hold a sheet-metal bracket that stabilizes the closer (it doesn't move much at all when starting/stopping, even without the bracket). And added a simple thin polycarbonate shield (clamped with hose clamps and formed a bit with a heat gun.
Thanks again for everyone's input and help, Cheers, Charles
cc1.JPGcc2.JPGcc3.JPG

Back