What's new
What's new

Poll on general electronics failures on CNC

Call me what you want you moronic fucking turd, 25yrs in business and retiring at 52, that's where being an idiot gets you, sat here watching 2 very old mazaks earning me £125 p/hr each, lovely.....
Jesus you're slow. 25 years at 125/hr and you only retire at 50. Must have been a lot of fuck up's and rework. But then hey you're British part of a has been nation hankering after old glory.

2004 Haas VF-2 Rotary converter:
  • Vector drive with 123 drive fault, about two months out of warranty. Covered by factory.
  • Z axis drive fault that was temperature sensitive. Nursed it along, allowing the cabinet to warm up before use. Eventually failed and swapped it out. Still have this amp. Had found the cracked joint but, never repaired it.
  • Mocon Board killed from cutting wood in the machine. Was inside with shop vac, cleaning out the wood dust. Static electric shocks over and over. One of those zaps made it back through the spindle temp sensor, back to the Analog-to-Digital converter on the board. Machine was unable to track any analog inputs: DC voltage, spindle temp or coolant level. Replaced board.
  • Real time clock battery died on the processor board. Documented the repair of the Dallas Watchdog chip here.
2007 Haas TL-1 single-phase power:
  • 320V DC power supply failed hard enough to blow circuits off of the circuit board. It had problems from day one, blowing the circuit breaker at the panel over and over until the power supply failed. The replacement has been fine ever since.
  • X axis drive amp failure: one day the X-axis motor started vibrating and making a squeaking noise at one point in the rotation. At each pass, the load would go up, then back down. Swapped the X and Z amps and the problem followed the amp. Amplifier replaced.
  • Brand new Z axis 32A "Smart amp" installed due to problem above. Now exhibits a Z-axis shorted error when the machine is parked. It never errors during use, only when stopped and doing nothing. Problem comes and goes. It has been explained to me that this is a fault due to having a mix of two non-smart and one smart series amp in the machine. There is a resistor kit that allegedly makes this go away. Hasn't 'failed' yet so eventually I'll move this amp to the VF-2.
2010 Haas VF-5XT three-phase power:
  • One blown axis amplifier, without warning or other symptoms. Simply failed and shut down.

Reactions: ???
Jesus you're slow. 25 years at 125/hr and you only retire at 50. Must have been a lot of fuck up's and rework. But then hey you're British part of a has been nation hankering after old glory
Jesus you're slow. 25 years at 125/hr and you only retire at 50. Must have been a lot of fuck up's and rework. But then hey you're British part of a has been nation hankering after old glory.
It's called having a comfortable retirement, oh by the way I've been working part time since the 2008 recession, isn't it time you *removed by moderator*

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you heard what the difference is between a pommy and a Mazak. The Mazak stops whining when you shut it down.

Ran a brand new Mori SL-35 back in 1989 and a year or two after we got it we had to replace the spindle drive unit. Twice.
It's still running to this day, it's a beast.
Other than that, I can't think of anything major that we've had to replace electronically that wasn't because of a crash or user error.

I have seen a friend overcome solder failures on a board in a mission critical high value product by switching to a premium lead free solder.

I haven't seen many solder failures in my life.

I have seen plenty. Lead free solder sucks. I just repaired this one on my dad's outboard motor. Lead free solder for the win. Did the one next to it too, just because it looked a little iffy. This was main power supply into the fuse box. Had to cut the molded fuse box open to fix it and silly cone it back together.

20230901_163018.jpg

20230901_164454.jpg

Last edited:

Back