What's new
What's new

Possible scam??

Domodude17

Aluminum
So I am selling a South Bend lathe on FB marketplace in northwest Ohio. I think it's a pretty good deal, and I've had one gentleman in Oklahoma express interest in it, but he backed out when he found one locally.

I've had another guy reach out, this time from Texas. His Facebook profile is kind of generic, basic middle aged white guy. If I scroll back far enough there's a bunch of Spanish tik tok videos reposted. Reverse image search on his photos doesn't turn anything up. He wanted to mail me a check with extra to pay for movers he'll arrange.

The way he words things is kind of weird, it just reminds me corresponding with my coworkers in India. For example:

"Good day. I trust you are good. The check was process to your address Via UPS NEXT DAY AIR Tracking xxxxxx, Kindly be on the look out for the check."

"Message well received, I will keep you posted."

"Kindly provide me with the required name to be written on the check"

He has mentioned not doing anything until the check clears which was 100% my plan. I'm figuring if I ignore any sob stories he might have about me needing to send the money back to him before the check clears I'm fine. Or if the movers show up and are demanding more $ than he provided I just tell them to pound sand.

My alarm bells are just ringing on this, but I dont know if I see his angle?? Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Just because the bank allows you to use the funds, it does not mean the check has "cleared". That can take weeks and, if it's fake, they'll take their money back.

Show up with a truck or trailer and cash, happy to do business with you
or, as the old saw goes, Trust in God, all others pay cash ...

The only sure way to get money is a wire transfer and don't use your regular account for that. I'm even hesitant to take bank checks locally unless they're drawn on my bank and I can verify with the bank.

Sounds like a scam to me, my guess is he will ask you to send the "extra" money to a 3rd party via Western Union. Things to check, is the check from him or a company name never mentioned in the emails? If a company name google it, does address match address on check? Does return address on envelope match check? Is address on check and envelope in Texas? If in doubt, call the company. If you think its all legit, take check to your bank, they can usually tell if its a legit check. If you deposit it, make sure it has CLEARED before withdrawing those funds. Don't send money to "shipper", tell them you will give cash when they pickup.

Just to be clear, my money says its a SCAM.

Just because the bank allows you to use the funds, it does not mean the check has "cleared". That can take weeks and, if it's fake, they'll take their money back.

Show up with a truck or trailer and cash, happy to do business with you
or, as the old saw goes, Trust in God, all others pay cash ...

The only sure way to get money is a wire transfer and don't use your regular account for that. I'm even hesitant to take bank checks locally unless they're drawn on my bank and I can verify with the bank.
Yeah, the plan was to go to the bank and ask them how long it would take for the check to be 100% confirmed/validated to know when I'm in the clear.

Open up a new account and have him do a wire transfer to your account. When you do a WT once it's sent, it's gone from the sender's account. Banks do that all of the time and it's a nominal charge. You'll find out if he really wants the lathe :D

Once the check arrives I'm thinking I might just back out of the deal. Write void on the check and send them a picture of it like that. And if he's actually interested then he'd probably go for wire transfer.

Side note, anyone nearish the Toledo OH area want to buy a nice southbend 9a?

Unless you are jonesing to sell quick, save the trouble. Lotsa red flags. Save your time and aggravation for something real.

No one in Texas uses the word 'kindly' unless, perhaps in bitter sarcasm. For example, you might say, 'Sir, if you don't kindly move your ass off my truck, I'm gonna ventilate it with 155 grain of lead.'* But in terms of anything else? No way.

*Note that you would only say this if you intended to shoot his ass anyway, and were just spicing things up a bit first so later when you told all your friends it would have added appeal.

No one in Texas uses the word 'kindly' unless, perhaps in bitter sarcasm. For example, you might say, 'Sir, if you don't kindly move your ass off my truck, I'm gonna ventilate it with 155 grain of lead.'* But in terms of anything else? No way.

*Note that you would only say this if you intended to shoot his ass anyway, and were just spicing things up a bit first so later when you told all your friends it would have added appeal.
🤣🤣🤣🤣 exactly what I was thinking!

Sounds like a renewed version of an old scam. There are reasons people who do large amounts of business only accept credit cards or other electronic forms of payment.

Do...not...do...this. Run like hell. This is old as Moses. There is no good reason for you to take this kind of offer. Every time I tried to sell something on Craigs List, I received a similar response. Never fell for it. But I did fall for the Friends/Family routine on Ebay once. Only $100 but lesson learned.

I had someone that was supposed to be from the middle east order 1000 parts that were rather obscure. No one would use more than just a few. He was supposed to have wired the money to my account. The check arrived at the bank via UPS the next day instead with a note to the bank president to deposit it as I was expecting it and was made out for almost twice the correct amount. It was OK just wire the difference back to me. Yeah, right!

We examined the check and it was certainly a forged cahiers check. Security features cleary showed that. If you look hard at that check I am sure that you will be able to tell it is no good.

Still have it on the shelf to show friends what fraud looks like.

I told the scammer I did not have time to go to town that day to deposit it and wire him the change. After a while he was calling twice a day to see when he was going to get his money. Hopefully I kept him busy enough he was not doing this to others for a while.

In general I don't have the energy to mess with these folks. Other than to put them on hold and see how long they last.

There was a hilarious post about scamming a scammer involving an organ grinder getting bit by his enraged monkey. LMFAO. I searched for it but no luck. Maybe somebody can find it.

Back