What's new
What's new

Powermatic lathe VFD-b error when resetting parameters

Robwall

Plastic
I have a Powermatic lathe with a delta VFD-B. It has sat for years before I purchased it and when I got it home and wired it in . The VFD would not let me put the paramilitaries to the factory setting . The lathe will not run . I have 2 other lathes of the same model and I copied the wiring since they are working . I even went and bought a new VFD AND IT STILL SHOWS ERROR after I put in the factor reset code . Is there something mechanical I'm missing or any test I can do to start eliminating components to verify the VFD is ok if I have a problem with the motor or control panel .

What is the error code?

Since it is evidently not the VFD itself, it may be a fault in the wiring or motor. It is easy, for instance, for a strand of wire to get loose and touch something that it should not.

The error code will show what sort of problem the VFD "thinks" it has. Checking visually, and with a multimeter for resistance etc, should turn up the issue.

Some VFDs will complain if the three phase wires are not all connected. All recent VFDs I know about will fault if there is a short, usually showing a code like "OC" (for overcurrent). Those are the most common faults.

What is the error code?

Since it is evidently not the VFD itself, it may be a fault in the wiring or motor. It is easy, for instance, for a strand of wire to get loose and touch something that it should not.

The error code will show what sort of problem the VFD "thinks" it has. Checking visually, and with a multimeter for resistance etc, should turn up the issue.

Some VFDs will complain if the three phase wires are not all connected. All recent VFDs I know about will fault if there is a short, usually showing a code like "OC" (for overcurrent). Those are the most common faults.
There is no error code . I can power up the VFD. But the lathe will not spin. I tried to enter the factory program to reset all parameters . And when I hit program on the last step it shows "err" . If the program took it should dhow " end" . That is what is getting me . There is no code that would make me think the wiring is bad . No over current . No low voltage . If something was wired incorrect would the VFD sense it and not allow a parameter set to be input as a failsafe to not burn something up ? I guess my main question is . Why will it not let me input the factor perimeters . Or am I inputting the parameters incorrectly . I have found 3 vids online that I copied to the "T" . I even msde sure all my indicator lights were correct and it will not take my code

Don't know that particular unit. Obviously it is not happy, so recheck, and see if there is a mistake in entry.... like getting the mode wrong, or needing a code to access the parameter set.

What manufacturers should do is provide a jumper on the VFD circuit board.
Connect it and the system boots into default parameters.

Last edited:
If it sat for 2 years or longer with no power on it, the DC bus capacitors may have shorted and the drive is dead now, so the display is basically telling you it is an unrecoverable error. Drives that have sat with no power on them for over a year (maybe 2) must be given a "capacitor reforming procedure" prior to even having power connected to them. Once the caps have failed, it usually cascades problems with the other power devices and the drive is toast.

I would tend to agree, except.......

The OP is getting a message on the display. If the bus caps were shorting, he'd have popped a breaker, and the unit would be dead.

Since it is not dead, the caps are likely not AFU, and the unit may need to have a factory reset. There is generally a code to enter for that.

It sounds as if the thing may be programmed with protected parameters, and might need a code to access them. Either that is in the manual, or a factory reset "should" clear everything. In a few cases, you need another code to even do that, so........................

If it had bad IGBTs, he should get an "OC" or similar code for overcurrent. If the caps were really bad, he might get a code for excess ripple, But he says he is not getting that. We cannot see what he sees....... so.........

thank everyone for replying . Here is where I'm at . I have removed my VFD. Along with the spare VFD I have . One has been sitting for a long time no power the other was sitting with no power as well for a bit I'm not sure how long . They both give me the same error . They are both removed from the machine and only have the power wires going into them nothing else . I wanted to eliminate any chance of having something I wired incorrect . Any code I try to input says "Err" after I hit prog for the last time . Could the keypad be locked out and that's why it's not taking any commands . My model is a Delta VFD-b
The control is a VFD- PU01. The factory reset code I have is
00-02 -10. For a 60 hz system

Attachments

• B3C2D67B-7592-4578-A9EA-346186F6DD13.jpg
    B3C2D67B-7592-4578-A9EA-346186F6DD13.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 7
If I was going to replace this drive what one would I need ? Or any suggestions on brands ?

Attachments

• D5990C57-F60E-43FB-AD84-97DB323C5837.jpeg
    D5990C57-F60E-43FB-AD84-97DB323C5837.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 733530E5-0566-4746-B23F-66BDC0F0FBD1.jpeg
    733530E5-0566-4746-B23F-66BDC0F0FBD1.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 5
The reset code appears to be per the manual section 5.1.

There is also mention of "passwords" which probably are canceled with a factory reset.

Does it DO a factory reset? Or do you get the "err" again?

When I do the factory reset I get the error code . It will not take any code I try to put in

My suspicion is that the drive may be locked. It may have been programmed for a specific use, and may be locked so it will not accept any changes. If so, you would need at least a special code to unlock it. It might be special programming, in which case it cannot be unlocked.

Did you buy this drive "new"?

My suspicion is that the drive may be locked. It may have been programmed for a specific use, and may be locked so it will not accept any changes. If so, you would need at least a special code to unlock it. It might be special programming, in which case it cannot be unlocked.

Did you buy this drive "new"?
Kind of, It showed new in box but it was off eBay. So who knows what it could've been before. If it is locked and there is no reset button or master code I'm thinking I'm pretty much SOL. If I were to replace it with a new one do you have any suggestions. My source voltage is 220 single phase. My motor is 220 3 phase

Attachments

• 2092848B-18A1-4A6C-8F3D-CC7B1F6C1DC6.jpeg
    2092848B-18A1-4A6C-8F3D-CC7B1F6C1DC6.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 3
Just so I understand..... the drive will not accept ANY parameter change or command?

Have you followed the procedure in the manual, and are you confident that you have the drive in a mode which is correct for changing parameters?

As I understand it, you have two drives, and neither accepts commands etc.... Did these come from the same source?

With one drive not operating as desired, anything could be the issue. With TWO drives both doing the same thing, either something is not being done correctly, OR the two drives have the same issue.

If they came from different sources, then it is most likely that something is not being done correctly. If they are from the same source, then it is much more likely that both are from the same lot and are equal, with the same issue affecting both.

Last edited:
Just so I understand..... the drive will not accept ANY parameter change or command?

Have you followed the procedure in the manual, and are you confident that you have the drive in a mode which is correct for changing parameters?

As I understand it, you have two drives, and neither accepts commands etc.... Did these come from the same source?

With one drive not operating as desired, anything could be the issue. With TWO drives both doing the same thing, either something is not being done correctly, OR the two drives have the same issue.

If they came from different sources, then it is most likely that something is not being done correctly. If they are from the same source, then it is much more likely that both are from the same lot and are equal, with the same issue affecting both.
I agree, one came with the unit. and the other was off ebay. I have watched the few video's online for reseting peramiters . I made sure that the screens looked identical. and i still get the error.Im at a loss could you walk me through how you would program the new peramiters. this is the steps i took.

press program then the changes to 00-00
i input 00-02
press program
input 10
press program
then it shows "err"

I think you are entering the info wrongly, now that you show what you are doing. The "Err" response is given in section 4 as "invalid input" (page 4.2).

Per page 4.3, you seem to need to enter <00>, then program, then <00-02> then program, then the data, in this case <10>, then program, and you should get the "-END-" showing it took the data.

it is not clear to me how much needs to be entered, i.e. whether it retains the "00" you entered, and then you enter <02>, or if you have to again put in the entire <00-02>. It makes more sense that it retains the "00" and you enter <02>.

You can try it both ways.

Sorry I have been busy at work . I'm have tomorrow afternoon off and that is my first thing that I will do . I'll try to post a vid so you guys can see if I'm entering it wrong

Last edited:
Ok guys I have tried it again with no luck . I'm just going to get a new one . I have tried to contact cust support several times . With no luck . I'm at a loss

Attachments

• A9EC2936-23C1-4D7F-AD8E-53E35A501B67.jpeg
    A9EC2936-23C1-4D7F-AD8E-53E35A501B67.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 7

Back