What's new
What's new

Pratt and Whitney 3C Lathe and Mill

I recently bought a Pratt & Whitney 3c mill , it's in pretty good shape and was somewhat complete . Although no vertical head , but I did get a right angle table and a horizontal arbor . I have a very small space for my machines and bench (8'X5') , the reason I say that is because the P&W came with it's Speedranger all hooked up on a nice metal bench so there was no way I could fit that in . So not feeling good about it we separated the two , I'm posting here to see if anyone needs/wants it , yes it has the speed control dial . I will put you in touch with the owner he's in Southern Ca.
IMG_1042 by mark westi, on Flickr

Last edited:
These can be put on smaller benches, and the spindle powered without the countershaft, via a three phase motor and VFD. You have the original over-arm and an original arbor with spacers, nice!

pw_progress_16.jpg

pw_progress_10.jpg

When I got my P&W 3c it had been painted where it shouldn't have been painted . After some stripping I found that you can move the X axis table a few degrees + or - , there are a couple of square head bolts under that table . I loosened them but the table would not move (I didn't try very hard) , Is this how you would do it ?
Thanks , Mark .
IMG_1045 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_1044 by mark westi, on Flickr

When I got my P&W 3c it had been painted where it shouldn't have been painted . After some stripping I found that you can move the X axis table a few degrees + or - , there are a couple of square head bolts under that table . I loosened them but the table would not move (I didn't try very hard) , Is this how you would do it ?
Thanks , Mark .
Been too many years since I had mine apart. But I do recall the square head bolts keep the table from rotating when they are tight. Here is a pic from 10-ish years ago when mine was all apart. Note the tip of the conical ends is broken off on both screws. one I found in there, the other was missing when I took it apart. The two pieces at the top have tapered holes that match the taper on the square head bolt. And those upper pieces, their flange sits in the round depression so they don't fall through. And keeps the male & female taper's inline in the same plane to lock rotation when tightened.

The other lock (in your picture) is y-axis way lock, obviously, and does not affect rotation.

This pic is after cleaning up the part. You can observe the female taper in the two top parts:
compound_clamps.jpg

This pic taken during diss-assy, everything's still dirty. But some parts still "in place":
knee_compound_assy_10.jpg

This is more a response to the 2015 end of the thread, and an answer to a question that nobody has asked, but for PN collets look at AM (Ames) as well. My P&W #00 mill took 3PN collets, which are identical to 3AM lathe collets except the lathe collets are threaded on the outside and the mill collets are threaded on the inside. I also had one set of collets that had both sets of threads.

I've never run across 4PN or 4AM, though.

My 3C only came with one collet but I was lucky enough to find a complete set on eBay although I paid dearly for it. I also found a dividing head on eBay and paid dearly for that too.

Back