What's new
What's new

Pratt & Whitney 3C mill tooling wanted

markwesti

Aluminum
I won't say no to anything , First things first I'm looking for a vertical head . I have a right angle table and I'm having some collets made . The vise on the bay , I have seen it . Also any literature would be nice .
1676602450851.png

Thanks for the reply's guys . Andy I would love to see the scans . Could you send them to my email ?
That vise has been on ebay how many years now? :rolleyes5:
$425 . for that vise ? That's almost what I paid for my mill . In all fairness I got a super deal on my mill , when I first saw the CL add it was not the correct name for the machine . I emailed the guy , he changed it but it still didn't sell . I made him an offer and it was mine . A month later he sold me a Benchmaster (it was rough) , I'm getting it ready to sell so I will have Pratt & Whitney money . Is this crazy ? I'm thinking about having a vertical head made .
Mark .

Consider just running it as a horizontal. They work well that way. I put an el-cheapo small vise on mine and while I would love to have an original PW one it's just not in the cards.

I suppose we've all made the mistake of buying a machine and then finding out that the extras are unobtainable.
Like others have said, the easiest thing is to use what you got and buy some more machines.
When I was initially outfitting my shop I ended up getting a Barker PM mill and Ellis dividing head to cut wheels and pinions because it would have been harder and more expensive to outfit my Stark #4 lathe with same capabilities. I now have a Stark #4 that can cut wheels and pinions but of course I got a whole lathe too, so now I have 2 stark #4s.

Out of curiosity- doesn't a 3C mill use 3C collets?

My dad made a 4PN to 3C collet adapter for his.
Limits you to 1/2" but that's better than nothing.

Any shop that makes spindles can make you an accurate one. Might be good to pool resources and get a bunch made, one for each of us.

If you mount a vise to a right angle plate and turn your head sideways, it's a vertical mill. :-)

I have some of the original documentation, but I moved and I have to find it. I'm going to send it all to Keith Rucker to add to his catalog.

Steve

I suppose we've all made the mistake of buying a machine and then finding out that the extras are unobtainable.
Like others have said, the easiest thing is to use what you got and buy some more machines.
When I was initially outfitting my shop I ended up getting a Barker PM mill and Ellis dividing head to cut wheels and pinions because it would have been harder and more expensive to outfit my Stark #4 lathe with same capabilities. I now have a Stark #4 that can cut wheels and pinions but of course I got a whole lathe too, so now I have 2 stark #4s.

Out of curiosity- doesn't a 3C mill use 3C collets?
Hi , really , you would think . The P&W 3C mill uses 4 PN collets , I'm wondering what the vertical head and the dividing head use .
I'm kinda' weird when it comes to my machinery , I'm more into the machine it's self than I'm into making parts . Don't get me wrong , I use my machines to make parts but it's usually a part for a machine or a piece of tooling .
OK , I looked up the Stark #4 lathe . Way cool !

Last edited:
Yep, same collets in the Hz spindle as in the Vt spindle. Note the home-made draw bar, got the vert. head without one. Also notice the home-made over-arm for the horiz. setup!

pw_progress_16.jpg

pw_progress_10.jpg

Nice little machine. Looks very equivalent to the Lewis, complete with an overarm that could usefully be somewhat larger in diameter, and the single slot. Both of those are also "features" of the Lewis.

The smaller (non-C version) PW lathe can use 3C collets direct in the spindle if their keyways are lengthened a bit, and a slightly shorter drawbar with 26 tpi is used.

The closing angle on the spindle nose is not *exactly* right but this does not seem to impair the accuracy.

I personally own a 3C but the Machine Shop museum at Tuckahoe Steam and Gas has a No. 3 with vertical head, dividing head and right angle table.

Back