What's new
What's new

Pratt & Whitney Turret Lathe

Joe Prindle

Plastic
So, when I went to my buddy Bryan's shop to pick up the $100 Johnson Dake bandsaw, he sez to me, "Take this with you as well." Being one to take free stuff and ask myself "Why?" later, I loaded it up.
It is a Pratt and Whitney #1 turret lathe. Older than dirt, with a dovetail bed, a nice set of cast iron legs under it and six position turret. Trouble is, it is missing the drive pulley offen the spindle, some of the gadgetry for the collet closer and it has one collet with it. I know far less about collets than I want to admit, but it is a little bugger and looks like it will be bugger all to get them.
So, what have I got here? What's there looks pretty good, what ain't there looks foreboding. I find myself forced to make a whole buncha little bolts or screws once in a while and it would be more cool than practical to have it usable.
Anyone got a dead one (other than me) laying out in the rhubarb patch for spare parts?
If nothing else, could the turret be adapted to a little logan or southbend? I s'pose the legs are worth something.....
Any ideas?
joe

Joe,
I've owned one of these critters for years (mine's a #2) and it's still one of my future projects. Nice that yours has the legs on it. As for the pulley, if it's like mine, it's a three step. Maybe you can adapt something. the collet closer is simple, pushes on the tube to close the collet like most turret lathes. I suspect that anything missing should be fairly easy to make. The collets for my machine are close enough to a #2 Warner & Swasey so those will work in it. You might try to get a #1 W&S collet and see if it will work in your machine. You might also make up a threaded back and use a chuck since your quantities will probably be small. Just don't let the parts of the collet mechanism go astray as you may want to use it sometime.
Regards,
Tom

[This message has been edited by ObsoleteTom (edited 11-06-2002).]

Joe,
I have a small Pratt and Whitney horizontal mill that I picked up last year. The site in the uk. www.lathes.com had information on it that stated that the lathe and the milling machine used many of the same spindle parts including the collets. My machine came with a full set of collets and a simple threaded draw bar closer.
Hal

Back