What's new
What's new

precision boring head manuals

Deckel Technical Bulletin, nr. 3, page 2 1958.
That's just a single page and shows nothing new.
I believe the FP machine manuals really has what's needed.
And that's mainly about lubricating it.
I have only just put my Fine Boring head on. Very nice.

I'm currently struggling with getting the precision boring head drawbar setup to support my DIN 69871 tooling. My FPS 300M is configured with DIN 69871 and all my tooling is using this standard. I'm also having to aquire the drive ring adapter to match. The drawbar currently installed on the precision boring head is the expected M16 male thread, but it seems a little short as far as I can tell. Looking to possible removing the drawbar so I can reverse engineer and make one that matches the DIN 69871.

Boring head has20 mm thread. (Original Deckel). The DIN spec is for tool holders , does not specify the draw bar thread. Perhaps FPS did not change the boring head draw bar.
Maybe its not a length problem, but one of diameter

Cheers Ross

Last edited:
Actually, I aquired the boring head from Singer. They claimed it has M16 male thread suitable for DIN 69871, but it didn't seem long enough on my first pass attempt with holder. Also the drawbar has some kind of wierd torx like opening on top, is there a Deckel specific handle for this head?

I'm thinking I might just manufacture a custom drawbar for the head, that matches my exact setup on the FPS 300M. The FPS 300M has a female hex on the top of the drawbar that a standard hex tool fits into.

Early FP2's and FP1's had square ended shafts for both horizontal and vertical draw bars.
With the advent of the "sliding head" design the horizontal draw bar was moved to exit the rear of the horizontal slide and was made with a hex key socket (10mm the same size needed to clamp the vertical head assembly).
Later machines got a hex key socket fitted to the vertical draw bar to mimic the horizontal..Deckel made an adapter that can fit a hex socket to an existing square draw bar..

Cheers Ross

how short that drawbar is? NMTB has that shank portion with internal thread where normally a pull stud would be, perhaps that is the type of tool holder that drawbar was for

I bought some DIN2080 pull studs from Singer, and they have a M16 thread in them roughly in the same place it would be in a NMTB holder

would be easier to make a new drawbar that fiddle with those studs or buy tool holders just for that drawbar

Back