What's new
What's new

Precision Boring Head

mirgard

Plastic
Hello i just bought this fine attachment does this still need a raiser for Deckel FP1 or will this fit sins it says zu (for) FP1 ?
20230110_103600736_iOS_(1).jpg

Attachments

• 20230110_073334950_iOS.jpg
    20230110_073334950_iOS.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 16
So even if the sign on the attachment says 2021-2522 for fp1 it needs an special raiser becouse i seen these attach ment with signs that says for fp2 etc

So even if the sign on the attachment says 2021-2522 for fp1 it needs an special raiser becouse i seen these attach ment with signs that says for fp2 etc
I don't know how the Deckel numbering system works, in the 1987 sales literature I have you still need the riser on the FP1?

Don't ever recall seeing one of these attachments without the riser on an FP1, suppose it's possible some were made for the FP1 without the riser, if it is, it would be the first of its kind that I know of!

Need to measure the gears to be sure?

Kevin

Think the answer is that head was originally purchased from the factory as part of an order for an FP1 that included that precision boring head. Note tag is stamped with the FP 1’s serial number.
In all cases that anyone has ever seen ,save one instance, FP1’s all require the 2125-100 (FP1) riser.
Believe there was one instance (unverified as to function) of a precision boring head running directly on an FP1.
Setup was non factory having a different drive gear fitted(14 1/2*) the issues of fore/aft position and drive gear alignment was still an open question.
Short version, you need the riser.

Cheers Ross

a question wouldent it be easy to just change the gear on that milling head to a correct one?
"correct" to a pressure angle that fits fp 1
I don’t think it’s that simple, all the gears in the head would have to be changed!

Deckel would have offered a head specifically for the FP1 like they did for the other attachment’s if it were that simple.

The riser does several things, it adapts the gears and raises the head as well as positioning the head further back on the machine.

Do a search on the Forum about a member that was trying to make his own adapter, as far as I know he never finished the project?

Kevin

I don’t think changing the driven gear on the boring head requires changing any other gears. That driven gear is afaik mounted at the end of an input shaft that drives the head spindle and feed. The gear does not mesh with any other gear other than the drive gear in the “Y” slide, so no mesh problems per se.
There is however a question of gear mesh. Not sure how the FP1 drive aligns to a stock boring head. Plus the boring head uses some head room, something that is not robust to start, which is a good reason to use the riser.

Cheers Ross

Reactions: bsg
bsg said:
I don't know how the Deckel numbering system works, in the 1987 sales literature I have you still need the riser on the FP1?

By the early 90s, aktiv machines still needed the raising unit. Interesting, would have thought they'd be all the same, but the part # is 2021 000200 for the FP1....finally modified the gears??

bsg said:
Do a search on the Forum about a member that was trying to make his own adapter, as far as I know he never finished the project?

I think the handle was Bentley or something, seemed to have a few sparring matches here as I remember! ;)

Hi.
I would give it a try. If it's very noisy, then the head still has the old standard gear.

But it's interesting it officially belongs to an FP1, factory stamped.

If it still needs the riser, I have one I can sell. Where in the world are you?

Dang it, I have both the FP1 riser plus an FP2 set of Fp2 riser block and Fine Boring head...
(as I have two Fine Boring heads)

Cheers
Erik

Hello Erik i live in Sweden i will test it soon just bought the machine and it needs some fixing before
how much would you want for the raiser ?
im somewhat often in Denmark working as a wind tec for Vestas so i go to Denmark

I have the latest FP1 Aktiv Digital (actually an FPS 300M which is an exact clone of the last FP1 made by Deckel). I also have the fine boring head. I can tell you for a fact that you will need the riser to make it work. I was able to aquire the riser from FPS but only after I asked them on 3 separate occasions and they "found" it in some back storage area, they themselves were very surprised to have found it. The risers are VERY hard to find, almost unobtanium. I also prior to getting a fully functional riser had aquired from Singer a riser without any gears just the casting, but fully finished and had started down the path of reverse engineering the gearing, but halted that effort once FPS found a fully built unit for me. I still have the casting. Was thinking at some point I might get some additional castings made and manufacture a few of these risers just for kicks. OP should do a search on this forum to find at least two threads dedicated to this topic.

I remember someone did a article on the forum a long time ago about making a riser block from scratch.
Probably worth trying to find it as it had a lot of useful information which may help you.

Adrian

I remember someone did a article on the forum a long time ago about making a riser block from scratch.
Probably worth trying to find it as it had a lot of useful information which may help you.

Adrian
Here‘s a couple links…..as far as I know the, the project was never completed?

Kevin

See attached photo showing the riser and also my other accessories. The riser can be seen in the right hand cabinet, second row down, second accessory from the left, sitting between the slotting head and the horizontal arm support. Note also the fine boring head and the fine grinding head on top shelf. I have every option made for this machine.

IMG_20210512_170611-small.jpg

Nice collection, don’t see a corner milling attachment or angle milling head.
Do you have the high frequency grinding spindle units with the high frequency power supply to go with that grinding head?

Having to have that “Uber rare” riser is reason enough to go for the FP 2 let alone the higher spindle speed, full rapids, horizontal quill and improved mechanicals.
Cheers Ross

Last edited:

Back