What's new
What's new

Precision Boring Head

For the grinding, I am working on a custom adapter so I can use my NSK Planet 600 with the fine grinding head.

I do have the corner milling attachment and the angle milling head, BUT they are in storage, what I actually use are Benz-Tools SLIM WGZ angle head, and the Benz-Tools FLEX WDX angle head, vastly superior solutions and they have integrated DIN69871 tapers which go right into my spindle. See photos here:

flex-wdx.pngslim-wgx.png

I have every option made for this machine.

View attachment 384060
No you don't.
The FP1 riser (or maybe raiser) block for using FP2 heads on the FP1 is named 2125 - 100.
Another type exist - named 2125 - 200.
For using the slotting head with the 2037 table on your FP1.
It brings the slotting head a bit to the front, closer to the center of the table.
It has FP1 gears on both top and bottom.

And I had one. Not knowing what I had I tried to sell it with a Fine Boring head.
But trying to fit it we discovered what it was. Alas, the buyer is very happy with it anyway, as it extends the Z axis by 105 mm.
Which he sometimes need. So in the end it went ok, although on principle I'm kicking myself for not knowing what it was.

Come to think of it; had I had it in the past, I would have won Seans "Deckel Wars" challenge - LOL.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
No you don't.
The FP1 riser (or maybe raiser) block for using FP2 heads on the FP1 is named 2125 - 100.
Another type exist - named 2125 - 200.
For using the slotting head with the 2037 table on your FP1.
It brings the slotting head a bit to the front, closer to the center of the table.
It has FP1 gears on both top and bottom.

And I had one. Not knowing what I had I tried to sell it with a Fine Boring head.
But trying to fit it we discovered what it was. Alas, the buyer is very happy with it anyway, as it extends the Z axis by 105 mm.
Which he sometimes need. So in the end it went ok, although on principle I'm kicking myself for not knowing what it was.

Come to think of it; had I had it in the past, I would have won Seans "Deckel Wars" challenge - LOL.

Cheers
Erik
Whatever, its not really a contest. I'll requote and say that I have all the options that I find useful for the FP1. There are a couple accessories that were useful back in the day prior to EDM whereby Deckel used an optical setup to make dies, and also an optical based rotation table that I do not have. All those different types of risers you mention just gives me a headache, who would want all that...I'll stick with those options that Deckel actually published brochures/manuals for, and call it a day.

It’s like collector cars. For some having something rare and unusual is an end to itself.
For me if it isn’t being driven in anger it’s just a piece of static sculpture, interesting, but not a “car”.
Same with tools. For me if I am not using it I don’t have space for some hanger queen.
Take the spiral milling attachment for example. Years back there was a push here for posters to secure the spiral setup,and more than one poster here sought and secured such.
In the end, I will bet that I am one of the few spiral attachment owners who have used the setup to make real parts., further bet I might be the only member here that used the spiral attachment and combined its use with the slotting head.
I don’t have everything Deckel, but everything I have works for its keep……. “Use it or swap it. “😳
Cheers Ross

Hi Ross.

I don't remember if you made a thread with pictures of using the spiral milling attachment.
If you did, can you give us a link?
It is always so satisfying and educational to see your work, following it all the way to the finished product.

Cheers
Erik

Whatever, its not really a contest. I'll requote and say that I have all the options that I find useful for the FP1. There are a couple accessories that were useful back in the day prior to EDM whereby Deckel used an optical setup to make dies, and also an optical based rotation table that I do not have. All those different types of risers you mention just gives me a headache, who would want all that...I'll stick with those options that Deckel actually published brochures/manuals for, and call it a day.
The FP1 riser is published in the catalog! I got a screenshot by Singer. You see the riser mentioned in conjunction with the 2037 table.
However, I took it from Erik not for collecting for the sake of collecting, but to increase the z-axis. Which can often be a bit to little.

Howeve, I'm still on the lookout for a 2125-100 riser to use the fineboringhead on the FP1 ...

Attachments

• 2023_02_09_16_58_00.pdf
    872.9 KB · Views: 23
The FP1 riser is published in the catalog! I got a screenshot by Singer. You see the riser mentioned in conjunction with the 2037 table.
However, I took it from Erik not for collecting for the sake of collecting, but to increase the z-axis. Which can often be a bit to little.

Howeve, I'm still on the lookout for a 2125-100 riser to use the fineboringhead on the FP1 ...
Having more head room on these machines is a good thing. Have needed and used the FP2 riser coupled with the precision boring head to run a job on my FP4NC more than once.
Cheers Ross

Which head exactly do you believe this riser is intended to lift up? The translation of the note from german translates: "Base 2124 00200 (only for FP1 with push head)". In looking at various Deckel brochures and manuals, the only heads I've seen raised up are the fine boring head and the fine grinding head. Also, wondering what FP1 models have "push heads"...possibly the later Aktiv Digital models whereby the vertical head can slide back?

Honestly, if there were a Z problem, I would just remove the table and mount work piece to the vertical table face, or better yet, buy a bigger milling machine !!!

Having more head room on these machines is a good thing. Have needed and used the FP2 riser coupled with the precision boring head to run a job on my FP4NC more than once.
Cheers Ross
Ross, other than the fine boring head, any other heads you ever felt the need to "raise up" ?

Ross, other than the fine boring head, any other heads you ever felt the need to "raise up" ?
Needed more Z on a milling job that i ran on my early (1st gen FP2) and used the riser there, but since getting the FP4NC the only riser work i have done is using the precision boring head.

full

full

As to ealier question, helical milling setup:
full

Rear crankshaft seal scroll & slinger for an old engine.

full

Cheers Ross

Last edited:
Which head exactly do you believe this riser is intended to lift up? The translation of the note from german translates: "Base 2124 00200 (only for FP1 with push head)". In looking at various Deckel brochures and manuals, the only heads I've seen raised up are the fine boring head and the fine grinding head. Also, wondering what FP1 models have "push heads"...possibly the later Aktiv Digital models whereby the vertical head can slide back?

Honestly, if there were a Z problem, I would just remove the table and mount work piece to the vertical table face, or better yet, buy a bigger milling machine !!!
Originally, the 2125-200 riser was designed to be used together with the 2037 table and the slotting head ... If you mount the 2037 table you cannot reach the middle of the table with the slotting head ... By using the 2125-200 riser it is possible, because the riser shifts the head a bit to the front (see picture). However, I want to use the riser to increase the z-height by 100 mm ... without the need to remove the table ... why removing a table if you can gain height with a riser?

The 2125-100 riser is a totally different thing! It is intended (i) to change from 14.5 to 20 degrees pressure angle and (ii) shifting to the back. Because both are necessary to mount the fineboring and grinding head.

p.s. : Stosskopf translates to slotting head

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 13
Hi Dennis.

Kristof has explained it very well. He even included some (rare) catalogue info.

The 2125-200 riser was made for use with the combination of the 2037 table and the slotting head.
I have seen it mentioned only as a rumour by Danny VanVoorn and in the brochure from Kristof. And I didn't look well enough at it to discover what it was.

The nice thing is, it can be used to extend the space between the FP1 head and the FP1 table.
Especially when using the tilt-swivel table with the index table and a vise on top - and then a drill chuckin the work spindle.
That hardly leaves any room for a decent drill.

I only called you out on your statement: "I have every option made for this machine." - that's all.

Nothing more to it. Not being aggressive against you - just a bit of friendly finger pointing.

I really understand you can't find anything about it - I had no idea either.
Although I should have had, because it does look different.

I did the right thing: I bought an FP2 instead....:)

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
Originally, the 2125-200 riser was designed to be used together with the 2037 table and the slotting head ... If you mount the 2037 table you cannot reach the middle of the table with the slotting head ... By using the 2125-200 riser it is possible, because the riser shifts the head a bit to the front (see picture). However, I want to use the riser to increase the z-height by 100 mm ... without the need to remove the table ... why removing a table if you can gain height with a riser?

The 2125-100 riser is a totally different thing! It is intended (i) to change from 14.5 to 20 degrees pressure angle and (ii) shifting to the back. Because both are necessary to mount the fineboring and grinding head.

p.s. : Stosskopf translates to slotting head
That's not true, the slotting head will go past the center of the table by 7mm without the riser.
Slotting Head Dimensions.png2037 Table.png
Kevin

Then I misunderstood the explanation ... But what I do see is that the 2037 sits 120mm higher than "normal" and the riser adds a little less than 120mm of height ... Or what do you think?
That's correct, you still have 300mm daylight between the top of the table and horizontal spindle centerline........
The FP1 definitely has its limitations, if you tend to do larger parts it may not be the best choice, possibly an FP2 would be better?

Kevin
FP1 Dimensions.png

Last edited:
Also, the 2037 table is quite specialized, most operations requiring a rotation table in todays age would be done on a CNC machine.

Back