What's new
What's new

Premium ER collets

Hey Milland. I should have mentioned that I have a brand new Maritool one-piece nut that I tried and that gave poor runout readings with a gage pin. I could compare it to my seized two-piece Alpstool nut to see if there is any difference.
Buy a Rego fix holder and compare the difference. The Mari will always be above a half thou and the Rego will always be below a half.
Sometimes with just a simple reseating of the tool can achieve runout less than .0002 with a quality holder and collet.

I check small endmills runout before touch off. Low runout will always pay for itself with less dollars spent on premature tool wear.

Thanks. 60 ft lbs is what I found in the REGO-FIX catalog for ER20 above 7 mm diameter.
I was actually asking for a recommendation on what wrench to get, though. Or can you buy a "socket" for the collet nut? As I'm typing this, I'm realizing that some collet nuts are just hex on the outside, so a deep hex socket would work. The one in this case is notched on the outside for a spanner, so I guess I need to look to see if anyone makes an adapter.

Rego makes wrenches that take modular heads so you can use the same wrench for different collets. I believe the head you'd be looking for is Rego sku 7151.20000 and it works with any of their torque wrenches.

I got the UP REGO-FIX collet, and the collet runout issues have been resolved. There was no measurable runout with a gage pin in the collet. I switched back to my YG-1 collet and found .003" runout.
I'm still having problems with the application though and now suspect the end mills. I have started a new thread for that.

Back