What's new
What's new

probe coupled with hydraulic chucks and support

Looking into really getting the shop I came to into the next generation of machining parts. I have a design for a hydraulic clamping system, that also uses hydraulic swing clamps and hydraulic support systems. Our parts are large, heavy and hard (chromium mixture). We currently load them into the machine with a crane, lock them in, index it in, level the part, index it again to ensure its level to machine and then run it. I am trying to automate that process by having us load the part in with the crane, then running a program that will lock the part in place, probe the part check for centricity and making sure its level. Once the probe records the measurements, I want the machine to auto level itself and then go back to the probe ensure its right and start the program when the probe says it's good to run. The g code will be fun enough with macros not too concerned on that will be trial and error getting it programmed to work. I don't quite get how I would go about controlling the hydraulic system with the probe. Anyone with experience doing this? Or even know of a company that specializes in this, it would be going onto a Roarty bed for vertical lathes. The hydraulic system would be controlled by an electric pump making it able to send and receive signals. These are casted parts, so an actual location fixture isn't completely possible with all the variances in parts we make. Hence why I want to make the probe do most the work.

There are stepper motor controlled hydraulic servo valves that will do the job. This is 1970's technology. Your program would have the probe measure a number of points on the work piece and then do a best fit of a plane to those measurements. The fitted plane would then be compared to your reference plane to calculate the stepper motor commands. The servos then admit fluid into the hydraulic jacks to bring the best fit plane into alignment with the reference plane.

There are a number of companies that specialize in these systems.

A short introduction:

Last edited:
There are stepper motor controlled hydraulic servo valves that will do the job. This is 1970's technology. Your program would have the probe measure a number of points on the work piece and then do a best fit of a plane to those measurements. The fitted plane would then be compared to your reference plane to calculate the stepper motor commands. The servos then admit fluid into the hydraulic jacks to bring the best fit plane into alignment with the reference plane.

There are a number of companies that specialize in these systems.

A short introduction:

Thank you, defiantly helped piece together the missing steps and for the companies that I could reach out to

How are you planing on connecting the rotary table clamping-leveling system to the hydraulic supply hoses and electrical connections? There may be no place to install a coaxial multi channel high pressure hydraulic rotary feed through on the VTL. The electrical cable needs its own coaxial rotary connection for the clamp interlock signals and possibly the piston position feedback signals.

A lower cost less complex system could be assembled using motor driven, self locking, wedge type machine leveling jacks. The electrical connections could be a quick disconnect type to allow easy removal prior to spinning the table. The cable includes the Enable/Stop interlock for the table drive motor to insure that the cable has been removed.

Last edited:

Back