What's new
What's new

Probe cycle triggering empty M-Code relay

GiroDyno

Cast Iron
We just had a probe added to an '08 VF3SS, the Haas tech came out and installed both the table and spindle probes and V2.8 Renishaw cycles on it.
After they left we removed the table probe to install a large mag chuck and run some parts, everything appeared to be working as expected. Probe touches things, numbers change, parts were turning out good.
Next project was to wire up some solenoids to the aux M-Codes, which was when I noticed something peculiar... Operator was running a cycle and while I was behind the machine making a lit of fittings I needed to get the valve plumbed I saw the indicator lamp on the valve triggered by M23/53 was lit, a few seconds go by and it turns off. I asked the operator what part of the program he had just run and he said probing, so we single-block through the program and sure enough on the first line that calls a probe cycle "G65 P9810 etc..." the valve turns on. This is strange because the probe is connected to the second relay socket on the I/O which would be M22/52. I looked through all of the Renishaw cycles and never saw M23/53, nor M22/52 called anywhere. I checked parameters to see if there was any sort of alias codes and came up with nothing. I then read the operators manual and came across "M59 Set Output Relay." M59 Pnn can be used to trigger "nn" relay, where M21=#1132, 22=1133, etc... And G69 Pnn turns it off. I see several instances of M59/69 P1133 which makes sense because M22/52 relay is what the probe is connected to, but I also see a few P1134's which should be my M23/53 relay...
My first question is why would they be activating an unused relay socket in the first place? The tech I spoke with was also stumped; he said they use M59 for diagnostics and 1133 was labeled as "probe" and 1134 is labeled as a "spare"
The next question is, can I safely remove those lines and maintain probe functionality and gain back control of my relay?

TL;DR
The probe is connected to M52, and it runs correctly but somehow the cycle also activates M53, which is unused
Nowhere is the probe cycles is there an M53 called, but there are some "diagnostic test" lines that turn it on/off using M59 P1134
Why are there lines calling an empty relay in these off-the-shelf cycles?
Am I going to smash the probe into the table, or is it going to spontaneously combust if I delete these lines?

Attachments

• RenCycles.png
    RenCycles.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 4
I comment out all of the lines that called M59 P1134 or M69 P1134 and the good news is that I didn't see the indicator on the solenoid light up! The bad news is that the cycle didn't really run at all and there was a Probe Startup Failure alarm on the G65 P9832 line...

Can somebody who has an OTS check their I/O board and see if it is connect to the M53 relay?
Or better yet does anybody know if there is a variable I can change to trick the probe cycles into thinking that M53 is on without having to use M53? I think its a safe bet that the control doesn't need confirmation from the probe that its on since we don't have the OTS in the machine and the spindle probe works just fine. I'm ass-u-me(ing) that it just checks if M53 is on and assumes that means the probes working and continues through the cycle.

Back