What's new
What's new

Problems with "New" QT15

We are 42% sure that the parameters are correct.

We have 3 (different) sets of parameters, the machine was originally set on a fourth. I spoke with the guy who loaded the parameters on the machine yesterday and he couldn't say exactly where those parameters came from, other than that they were from "that vintage" machine.

They are all very similar, but not knowing what some of them do, we really have no idea what the variance might be or do?

Something we did find was the following settings (also called parameters?)BDB135CD-1572-4070-A938-25A76C5ACC03.jpeg5C93D1C2-A09F-4594-AC45-F04A64F5A206.jpegE688EEEA-9300-42AA-BF2F-242223743285.jpeg

To me, Op 2 needs to be changed? I'm a little foggy on the hexadecimal stuff, and my understanding is it reads right to left, not left to right?

From my reading, your turret is off by a factor of 4. I’d wager parameter(s) as well. 2nd Garwood’s inclination to confirm and test the encoder itself.

But I’m NFG with Mazak lathes. Never had the pleasure.

We are 42% sure that the parameters are correct.

We have 3 (different) sets of parameters, the machine was originally set on a fourth. I spoke with the guy who loaded the parameters on the machine yesterday and he couldn't say exactly where those parameters came from, other than that they were from "that vintage" machine.

They are all very similar, but not knowing what some of them do, we really have no idea what the variance might be or do?

Something we did find was the following settings (also called parameters?)View attachment 390831View attachment 390832View attachment 390833

To me, Op 2 needs to be changed? I'm a little foggy on the hexadecimal stuff, and my understanding is it reads right to left, not left to right?
Not all of your OP parameters are keyed in the same as the parameter page you posted. OP 3, 4, and 6 all are different. Not sure about 7 and 8.

After you key in the parameters, you need to power off the machine and restart it for them to take effect.

Not all of your OP parameters are keyed in the same as the parameter page you posted. OP 3, 4, and 6 all are different. Not sure about 7 and 8.

After you key in the parameters, you need to power off the machine and restart it for them to take effect.
How do you change these parameters? When we have tried to change them we get an "invalid" error of some sort that I cannot remember at the moment. When I changed bit parameters on my old FANUC machine, or on my newer Brother, there is a certain setting required to change the bit parameters. Is there a certain mode or do they have to be entered in a certain way?

You need to enter the parameters as shown (8 digits) followed by the number of 1s in the parameter being the 9th digit.

For example, 1001 0001 is entered as 100100013 then push input.
0000 0000 = 000000000 (no 1s in this series, so the last digit is 0)

Good news! Thanks Philabuster, that was the ticket. We have the OP Parameters changed to an 8 tool turret. The machine now recognizes and correctly reads 8 tools when manually indexed and shows 8 tools on the tool data page.

Bad news.... the machine still does not index when in auto.

So...

Tool Index Malfunction.

What are the causes of this? What direction should we go for trying to diagnose this?

Will the machine do anything else in AUTO mode? Write a simple program that uses only the tool that is in-position.

If all is good, then you've narrowed it down to a definite turret issue.

Will the turret index in TEST mode? (If so, it should in AUTO).
Several things have to happen in order for the turret to index. First it has to unclamp, and there is a proximity switch (inside the turret box) to verify the clamp/unclamp.

Nothing happens until the turret unclamps and the switch verifies the unclamp.
Then the hydraulic solenoid activates to spin the turret motor to position, then the turret clamps back into position.

You can follow all this sequence in the electrical manual (sleuthing required), and can verify switches on the screen by watching the relevant bit status.

ToolCat

Tool Index Malfunction.

What are the causes of this? What direction should we go for trying to diagnose this?
Bad proximity sensor would be my guess. That's what Wippin boy used to check first thing. I do not know for sure.

First thing would be to make sure the proximity sensors are the correct distance from the metal it is reading. My machine the sensors were a bit too far away and it was intermittent if it indexed correctly or not. I moved the sensor closer and no more issues.

Back