What's new
What's new

Pros and Cons of TOOL EDGE vs TOOL CENTER

are you saying it IS a dynamic toolpath?
i'm honestly curious because i've never seen an adaptive toolpath that would do a cleanup pass with wear comp.

With the settings SD has selected in his first screenshot it's a conventional 2d area clear / profile offset type path.

In the screenshot he has just posted above with vortex paths, I'm not sure how comp is/is not being applied - the "cleanup pass" as he called it is the finish toolpath specifically and not part of the roughing toolpath. I am about 97.4% sure that I have never tried to use comp on roughing in FC in ~20 years of using it, so really idk what is or isn't possible.

I strongly suspect FC will simply ignore any comp settings you select for vortex paths...

i strongly suspect FC will simply ignore any comp settings you select for vortex paths...

Code snippet from the code that produced the last screenshot:

G01 Z0.05 F100.
F16.0
G01 X2.6875 Y-0.7163 Z-0.37 F16.5
G01 G41 X2.9272 Y-0.5781 F16.0
G03 X2.55 Y-0.2301 R0.3784
G01 X0.8671 Y-0.2301
G03 X2.1728 Y-0.5781 R0.3784
G01 G40 X2.4125 Y-0.7163
G01 Z1.01 F100.
F16.0
( END OF PROGRAM )

Gregor
I have de-selected "Finish Pass" on that op just to make the point, so the screen shot is roughing, and ONLY roughing toolpath.

Code snippet from the code that produced the last screenshot:

G01 Z0.05 F100.
F16.0
G01 X2.6875 Y-0.7163 Z-0.37 F16.5
G01 G41 X2.9272 Y-0.5781 F16.0
G03 X2.55 Y-0.2301 R0.3784
G01 X0.8671 Y-0.2301
G03 X2.1728 Y-0.5781 R0.3784
G01 G40 X2.4125 Y-0.7163
G01 Z1.01 F100.
F16.0
( END OF PROGRAM )

Gregor
I have de-selected "Finish Pass" on that op just to make the point, so the screen shot is roughing, and ONLY roughing toolpath.
Interesting.

I use vortex a lot and it doesn't normally do that cleanup pass. I guess that gets added specifically if you enable comp...

Interesting.

I use vortex a lot and it doesn't normally do that cleanup pass. I guess that gets added specifically if you enable comp...
Actually it does, but it isn't as obvious from the backplot.
Here is the screenshot of the same program without comp:

vortex-no-comp.jpg

You see that the toolpath at the extremes follow the contour.

Actually it does, but it isn't as obvious from the backplot.
Here is the screenshot of the same program without comp:

View attachment 399095

You see that the toolpath at the extremes follow the contour.
Yeah, that looks like what I expect, just got thrown by seeing something unfamiliar I guess!

Edit: Well actually....

It looks like with comp enabled the adaptive toolpaths don't extend to the final roughing pass along the profile, with the last roughing pass being a simple profile offset, which negates most of the benefits of adaptive roughing. If you actually ran this toolpath you'd overload the endmill horribly in the corners and potentially break it on the last roughing pass...

This is kind of typical of vortex in featurecam TBH - it was copied over from powermill before the the AD acquisition and never really "finished". There is effectively zero documentation on how to use it in FC, and lots of the parameters and attributes don't work or get ignored depending on the direction of the wind or what side of the bed you got up on. For example, on my older VMC it really only works with arc filtering instead of the default line segments, but when arc filtering is turned on it straight up ignores the adaptive feedrate setting. Another one is that it only works on boss and pocket features, it's there as an option in side features but doesn't work at all and just makes basic offset paths no matter what you do. Another one is that you can't predrill with it or manually override the plunge location.

Great toolpath and stands with the best of the adaptive toolpaths out there, but it's integration in FC is pretty abysmal.

Last edited:
This is kind of typical of vortex in featurecam TBH - it was copied over from powermill before the the AD acquisition and never really "finished". There is effectively zero documentation on how to use it in FC, and lots of the parameters and attributes don't work or get ignored depending on the direction of the wind or what side of the bed you got up on.

That does seem to be correct.
After the ADSK takeover, pretty much the only development on FC was a simple face lift.
With that said, does Fusion have an improved adaptive toolpath with comp perhaps?
I mean they raped FC and Powermill for all they can, maybe the "Vortex" feature was completed there?

After the ADSK takeover, pretty much the only development on FC was a simple face lift.
With that said, does Fusion have an improved adaptive toolpath with comp perhaps?
I mean they raped FC and Powermill for all they can, maybe the "Vortex" feature was completed there?
fusion roughing does not do a final contour cleanup pass.

Fusions adaptive does not have comp

It doesn't seem like a consensus exists beyond being consistent. Thank you all for the spirited input. -Bill

Back