What's new
What's new

Prototype "Creation" Theory

Another good method with vacuum or tape is either short dowel pins or screws on the edge of your material to help locate and to keep it from moving. Obviously on a vacuum setup it needs to be either blocked off or outside of the vacuum. Then you can machine a bit more aggressively, because with vacuum or tape, a lot of issues come from material sliding sideways, not being lifted up. It's much easier to break the holding power laterally, so if you can stop that and use the vacuum or tape to provide the clamping force, you're good to go.

Acetone dissolves CA glue.

I use McMaster powdercoat tape for super glue fixturing. Can be good for small runs or small parts because you can do them all at once. Tape on flat plate decked in place, tape on material, CA glue in between, drop it on and weight it with some scrap for a few min while it cures. McMaster-Carr

The one nice thing about the tape is you can drill or mill through and don't have to worry about vacuum. I will do bigger features first, sometimes a profile or something slightly below the chamfer line and then chamfer and then come back at the end to profile the parts out. If you do it right, you can profile below the material into the tape but not cut the fixture plate, but even if you do, just re-face it.

I also use a homemade vacuum setup pretty regularly. Super easy. Venturi vac generator. Very handy, especially if the parts don't have any through holes, or you can mill them to a few thou above and 'onion skin' them. Then just hit with a Noga or something from behind to break the skin and deburr the hole. A lot of the same methods can be used for both techniques. I will usually program program one part with the intention to 'array' them into a sheet. Ramping down into the perimeter, etc. Then you just have to be mindful of your part spacing, but you can make 10 or 100 in one sheet and all you have to do is load the right size sheet and make sure you have your array correct, but you don't have to change any programming. I have a model if anyone wants it, but it's pretty easy.

View attachment 307274View attachment 307275

i never had any luck cleaning ca glue with acetone or other solvents. are there different varieties of ca glue?

Back