What's new
What's new

Push Brooms--Which ones do you prefer?

Mtndew

Diamond
Looking for some decent $20-$50 24" brooms for the shop floor. Of course it's going to be pushing wet oil dry as well as chips from the machines.
Anyone have a preference as to what ones they like?

Currently looking at something like the Libman 801

I like the ones with natural fibers for the actual business end. I find the nylon(?) plasticy bristles just hold oil and get slimy.

In the mill department, I have 3 push brooms. One of them has a yellow painted wood handle with foam grips, black bristles. There's no indication of maker left on the thing. But oily, dry, chips, doesn't matter, the bristles are perfect and sweeps very nicely.

The other ones that are also apparently no-name suck, One too stiff, one too soft. Stiff one gets caked with crap for no apparent reason and I can't seem to clean it either.

We have concrete floors fwiw

Bought a green one for home from lowes, I think "tough guy" or libman, not sure. It sucks for concrete. Seemed okay at lowes but they have polished concrete where my garage and driveway are significantly rougher and it really does a shit job.

Sorry that doesn't really help you.

There's probably a youtube channel dedicated to choosing a push broom, or maybe an influencer has created a 'tiktok' on said subject.

Try Reddit, likely been discussed

Or there's always the old school method of going to Lowes/HomeDepot and buying the broom that you tink likely will work for you.

I have two push brooms one with natural and the other with synthetic bristles. Now going to try a traditional corn broom to see how that works.
Narrow push brooms (maybe 12-16" width) seem to work best for me.

We have a horsehair sash brush that can brush saw dust ane the like in 2 sweeps then 10 sweeps with that plastic bristle brush. I suspect push brooms are the same. Good to make a stand-up dustpan also.

Our powder coating guy keeps breaking push brooms, then bringing them into my office to tell me it broke, dumping dust through the whole process.
I had to ban push brooms from entering the office.

I prefer the course, natural fiber brooms. They seem to work better where the synthetic fiber ones seem to collect every manner of debris and retain it.

Our powder coating guy keeps breaking push brooms, then bringing them into my office to tell me it broke, dumping dust through the whole process.
We had a guy like that. He loved snapping broom handles off. Then leaving the broom somewhere and hoping no one noticed.

Well hey, at least he didn't hide it somewhere and say; "Idk what happened to the broom, Tom used it last."

I like horsehair brooms but they SUCK for sweeping up chips. I usually sweep chips with a very cource plastic bristle broom and then go over it with the horsehair broom at the end of the day. I'm weird about floors 🙂

I don't know about the floor but we have a horsehair bench brush for pre-brushing Smart Side panels before painting.
You can sweep them 5 times with nylon or whatever brush and they won't be as clean as one brush with that horse hair brush.

Back