What's new
What's new

Putting a Machine Shop in a Cargo Container

Lift loaded containers with a swing lifter.....20 or 40 ft ,up to 32 tons gross.....Done hundreds of times every day,cost of the swinglifter is about $40/hr more than a flatdeck semi with container locks....Swinglifters can also load containers onto another truck ,and most can stack containers 2 high.....So,you got three 40 ft ers to move,hire two flat semis with pins ,and one swinglifter ....simple ,efficient ,cheap ......and as the containers are kept level,nothing inside gets knocked over or busted.

Containers were no problem here for decades......until some asshole millenials tried to get around the strict billboard licensing laws by using containers with advertizing signs on the sides.....and worse,idiot millenial activists use container signs to slag off the state government......simply fixed....container must now have a building permit....and no certifier will issue one for a container within 600yards of any property boundary.

Lift loaded containers with a swing lifter.....20 or 40 ft ,up to 32 tons gross.....Done hundreds of times every day,cost of the swinglifter is about $40/hr more than a flatdeck semi with container locks....Swinglifters can also load containers onto another truck ,and most can stack containers 2 high.....So,you got three 40 ft ers to move,hire two flat semis with pins ,and one swinglifter ....simple ,efficient ,cheap ......and as the containers are kept level,nothing inside gets knocked over or busted.

Theoretically, there are swinglifters in the USA. But in 50 years of doing work, I have never seen one. I googled, and there is a company about 3 hours south of me that claims to have at least one. But nobody I know has ever used one.
We move empty containers with tilt bed trailers, and full ones are usually loaded or unloaded with either cranes or really big forklifts.
When I sold mine, the neighbor who bought it drove his 40 ton rough terrain crane, with the five foot diameter tires, 3 miles down the road to my place, picked it, empty, onto another neighbors 40' flatbed trailer, and then drove his crane back home.
But not many people can do that.

I see this on craigslist

Need storage for a move? Need to move a loaded container? No problem -

New (onetrip) specials going on now through December-
Black Friday Deals!

Mountain Container has shipping and storage containers for you to move. Unlike the competition we can use full length containers to save your costs and headaches. Contact us today-

We will drop off an empty container for you to the ground. You fill it up and call us up to move it to your next location. WE LIFT LEVEL!

Moving services offered from and to the below states
Washington
Idaho
Montana
Oregon
Alaska
Hawaii
Texas
Phoenix

Other states available depending on partner services at end location

Insured and bonded to protect your home
Tacoma Shipping Container Storage | Cargo Container | Mountain
406 589-8751

1.jpg

The one thought that goes through my head concerning a shop in a confined space is to consider an emergency exit besides the double doors. Fires or out of control machines can and do happen. It does not have to be a real door---just an unobstructed and quick opening escape window or hatch. Many people die in mobile home fires because of limited egress opportunities. I don't mean to be a worry wart. Just something I'd try to consider were I making such a shop.

Denis

I never thought of that.....but I can say for sure the dirt builds up....to the stage you gotta cut it off the floor with a spade....its very hard to get behind machines to clean away swarf ,on account of you need clearance at the front......however a CNC type completely closed in with conveyor would work .....However ,for a mechanics workshop ,with a long bench and a couple of vices ,with maybe a press and a grinder ....works very well......One of the big points with containers is security....put a box over the padlock ,and 99.9% of thieves will just give them a miss.

Sometime soonish I'll be moving my loaded 20' container from storage to home base. When last moved, it went on a dual axle roll-back, in order to not kill my new blacktop drive. This move, the destination is a gravel pad accessed by a gravel drive. Already had a trio of concrete trucks come visit, so I'm not worried about the drive. Somewhat worried about the S-curve they'll have to maneuver while backing up, but there's a tree that can be eliminated to make that easier. Waiting for the ground to freeze well, but without snow.

Container weighs about 25k (according to the rollback company, who will be moving it again.) Not a level-load situation, so the inside is lined with E-track and everything is either strapped to the wall/ceiling, or ratchet strapped to the floor via OEM rings. Basically it's a trailer load scenario even though its been static for awhile. I'll have enough E-track straps and standard ratchets to start a moving company when I'm done.

This unit is strictly storage, so it doesn't need to be insulated to the degree an occupied structure would be. Condensation control is enough. Currently it's not insulated at all, or even outside, so the E-track is thru-bolted to the wall at each corrugation. So much for watertight, of course, but it didn't arrive watertight anyway. Foam insulation is available that matches the corrugations, so insulation on inside/outside/both is pretty easy.

Ultimately, I'll probably put vinyl or metal siding on it so it resembles a shed. Most of the E-track will come out, to be used elsewhere. I've got it on my open trailer, enclosed trailer, and even hitch platforms and two-wheeler dollies.

Hi
Here is a company that builds certified container pairs.
Certified means it can be carried as a normal container.

Modifying a container without certification may mean many carriers won't put it on their truck/ship.

YT Link

Hello,
Thought i should share this.
I am in the process of building a mobile workshop from two ( for now)shipping containers. A niggata 2umc milling machine and a okuma la wil be placed in one, in the other a 200 ton press tool grinder and an alzmetal column drill.
93ac78793887e3fe0eebfc0f3d494bd3.jpg
4dc0c2e7628563b171d1e5c0d7a619eb.jpg
7fbcf9fa78fad9a9f98e0d6a3d8b456e.jpg
1245c9152fe6adb3d5ea5a6b63b40fb0.jpg
c6600fe21da07f1026b51f871b89247c.jpg
48729ac34eb347dc0f4e6647602ce63b.jpg
5d229771519d720d9bb7195d735330ab.jpg
ee9da1eec160bfbe7d064d21abff66c8.jpg
7005a8183306e54f0fabccbaec8896ea.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2211 met Tapatalk

I have been building it from scrap mostly. Cost till now, is about 3000 euro. One is almost ready for painting. Empty weight is about 3,5 tons. I figure that it wont get heavier then 10 tons. Which is no problem for a heavy truck with loading crane. These trucks are relatively common in Holland.

I have been building it from scrap mostly. Cost till now, is about 3000 euro. One is almost ready for painting. Empty weight is about 3,5 tons. I figure that it wont get heavier then 10 tons. Which is no problem for a heavy truck with loading crane. These trucks are relatively common in Holland.

The problem I see is, it's not a viable container anymore.

No, but i dont think road transport would be a problem. At least not for the transportation companies i work with. I dont know about crossing borders. Usually everything works out. Lots of weird stuff gets transported every day.

Doors will be added that also function as walls. These will be able to stand opposite of each other with a distance of 6 meters in between. Or in a corner like they are now. I plan on making a roof that covers both containers and a 6 by 6 meters working space, with some kind of overhead crane. Been at it for almost a year now. Trying to Find time between jobs/work.

Jakob,

It looks like you have heavily rebuilt the floor and framed the opening with I-beam. That should stiffen the container adequately for lifting and siting? Do the two halves join to make a single room? Will there be a lift/ trolley? The building will be in insulated?

I envy the common availability of lift trucks found in so many countries other than the US.

Denis

Edit: You we’re posting while I was typing….

Back