What's new
What's new

Putting a Machine Shop in a Cargo Container

The floor is pretty stiff. Right now it is supported at 4 corners. Along the sides i have welded pieces of t iron cut from the same i beams in the top. Also for fastening tool cabinets and the like. Its about 1 ton heavier then a normal empty shipping container. These are old containers, already had one side removed, i got them for free. They functioned as horse Stables, at that time they where welded together at the open sides. I plan on space in between. These old containers where build from thick hot rolled sections, the new ones are mostly out of folded sheet metal. I prefer the old containers. These are old DDR containers. The floors are made of 50 mm thick wooden planks. The machines are bolted to hot rolled steel frames, I made those in my workshop and welded them in later. Lots of rust repair had to be done.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2211 met Tapatalk

No, but i dont think road transport would be a problem. At least not for the transportation companies i work with. I dont know about crossing borders. Usually everything works out. Lots of weird stuff gets transported every day.

The point being, no carrier will move that thing for you, other than a local rigger.
That's not going onto a railcar, nor a boat, to travel any distance.

FWIW, you could have saved a bunch of work, by simply building new with the material you have. Add the corner lift points and corrugated sheet afterwards.

The problem I see is, it's not a viable container anymore.
Agreed, its somewhat out of the box.
In this part of Holland we have a problem with earthquakes due to natural gas drilling. New building codes and shortages make building expensive. With this setup i dont have to adhere to codes. And because i can get steel easily and cheap, this was a viable option for me. And its a sort of fun project for me( except for cutting and welding overhead on your back in the mud).

Maybe building new was a better option. I think i have saved some time and money with the existing containers. I find it hard to keep everything relatively straight and square while cutting so much out of the container. That would also be difficult building new under these circumstances. I have some tools to keep things straight and to push and pull things back into square. Also the existing containers provide some shelter against the weather while working. Especially when mig welding.

When building new you could easily flip over individual sections for ease of welding.a new build would be the way to go i geuss. depends on the situation.

Back