What's new
What's new

Putting a Python 357 barrel in a S&W pistol

Carl Darnell

Titanium
A friend wants to replace the short barrel with the Python barrel. The problem is the S&W barrel has a .540" x 36 tpi thread and the Python has a .563" x 32 tpi thread. He said this has been done by others but he can't find a source for a .563 x 32 tpi tap. I can make the tap but has anyone here done this barrel change or does anyone know of someone who has?

This used to be a thing, but its lots easier to buy a barrel blank of whatever desired length, fit it to the revolver and then mill some contours on it to make the desired weight and pretty it up. Slab it, cut a rib down the top, some ball end grooves down the sides.

On the other hand if he has the Python barrel it might make sense to graft them together. As a cludge, you might be able to cut the new thread over what is on the barrel now. It could be functional but not something to be proud of, or that you’d want anyone to know about. Green loctite would be in order.

It might also be worth considering selling the Python barrel and installing a fresh barrel from a blank. I think you can buy a pre-threaded blank which would eliminate turning and threading the shank.

I just did a search on Mcmaster-Carr and none was shown. I then called McMaster-Carr and talked to a rep and they couldn't find a .563" x 32 tpi on their site. What is the McMaster-Carr part number you found?

Both you and the mcmaster rep you talked to need to brush up on your jr high math skills.
I expect McMaster has 9/16-32 taps, but I always just go to Victor to shop for special taps and dies.

They also have the die, in case you need to shave off .0005 or so from the barrel threads.

Larry

Last edited:
Question:
The hole is tapped and fit is perfect. But the metal is not blued.
Would a professional job re-blue the frame? I don't mean cold blue.
Does the connection resist corrosion longer if the threads have been blued?

So McMaster wants $46.25 and Victor wants $14.20 for a 9/16-32 HSS plug tap. Now you see why I said in post #6 that I always just go to Victor when shopping for special taps.

Larry
I was just pointing out that it was on McMaster's site and he couldn't find it. That's all.
Oh and I am bookmarking that site for future use!

I was just pointing out that it was on McMaster's site and he couldn't find it. That's all.
Oh and I am bookmarking that site for future use!
The place I worked had a purchasing department that loved their McMaster-Carr catalog because it saved them from searching and shopping around. If there was a requisition for something, McM-C usually had it and that was where they sent the PO.

Meanwhile, I was studying my catalogs from Enco, Wholesale Tool, Production Tool, Colex, Rutland, Tool Importers, Grand and Manhattan Supply. I loved those catalogs and watched every penny I spent in them. I have mentioned Victor and their fantastic special tap and die stock on PM a number of times because they deserve to be well known.

Larry

I have no problem with Victor or other smaller companies...but the price of McMaster is often offset by their reliable, fast service and reasonable shipping rates. A lot of small companies....I place an order....they dick around for 3 business days before they hand the box off to UPS...who screws around 5 more days before it shows up. On a $14 tap, you might pay $18 shipping. With McMaster....none of that.

File it down, stick it in with a good squirt of gorilla glue.
Also I have a second hand coffin for sale, standard size, one careful user who couldn’t pay the rent.
Joking obviously, hope you figure it, you could make a tap, with a pilot diameter at the start like a counterbore perhaps?
Mark

No idea why....but FWIW the Colt Python .357 Magnum is widely regarded as the finest double action revolver made, at least among mass produced guns.

Quite a few years ago my brother bought a Python like new in the original box with papers. As he was walking to his car another guy spied the box and wanted to see it. Asked see it and how much he paid for it Paid $950 , the guy offered him double for it. Told him not for sale . He still has it .

Whops, my mistake for not looking at my size chart and realizing the .563 was very close to 9/16. Well thanks for waking me up and the problem is solved. I just ordered one from Victor.
well this solves the problem. I guess I had so many things on my mind I got tunnel vision.
Thanks for the help from everyone.

Quite a few years ago my brother bought a Python like new in the original box with papers. As he was walking to his car another guy spied the box and wanted to see it. Asked see it and how much he paid for it Paid $950 , the guy offered him double for it. Told him not for sale . He still has it .
In 1981 the cost was roughly $450 for a blue 6".

Back