What's new
What's new

question related to Fadal VMC 15XT

EmcoDeckel

Plastic
Dear All,

I might become the new owner of a Fadal VMC 15XT and there are a few questions I cannot get answered yet so I hope to find a few experts here to help me out :)
1) how to replace the backup battery and how to read / backup the machine parameters?
2) how can I find the CPU board version (1400 card) and the ammount of memory (without pulling the boards out of the machine) ?
3) how can I find the Software version(s) that are running on the machine (and how is it possible to upgrade the Software?)
4) how / where can I find the schematics of the machine? (a lot of books are included but no schematics I noticed)
5) are all Fadal 88HC controlles "dripfeed"capable? and if yes, what SW to use to communicate with the RS232 port?
6) how to find the machine hours on the Fadal?
These are the most important questions I have so far.
I think I already found answers to the following question:
-How to change the German language on the tool to English language --> this needs a new/different Software module (a piece of hardware)

Thanks in advance,
EmcoDeckel (hopefully soon Fadal :) )

Parameters are written inside the control display enclosure. Memory option will be on this sticker. The 1400 CPU board has a battery soldered to it. Replace by desoldering.

All the manuals are available online, do a google search. Drip feed procedure depends on the PC software. Pick one (Cimco, Dostek, NC Fadal etc.) first.

All the cards are in the electrical box on the right side of the machine (from operators point).
We use a USB (Calmotion) and drip feed. Pretty easy to use .
Schematics can be found online through several parts suppliers.

Hi All,

Thanks so far already for these fast replies.
in summary:
1) how to replace the backup battery --> this is not a standard procedure like for some other machines where batteries can be simply replaced iso soldering
and how to read / backup the machine parameters --> parameters should be on a printed piece of paper inside the enclosure of the controller
--> still unclear how the parameters can be viewed on the controller and / or download / upload to and from the controller to and from a PC via RS232
2) how can I find the CPU board version (1400 card) and the ammount of memory (without pulling the boards out of the machine) ?
--> memory configuration should be written on a piece of paper inside the enclosure of the controller
3) how can I find the Software version(s) that are running on the machine (and how is it possible to upgrade the Software?)
--> still unclear
4) how / where can I find the schematics of the machine? (a lot of books are included but no schematics I noticed)
--> Fadal model 914 VMC15RT, diagram number 1002:
5) are all Fadal 88HC controlles "dripfeed"capable?
--> still unclear if and how dripfeed can work with the software mentioned (Cimco, Dostek, NC Fadal)
and if yes, what SW to use to communicate with the RS232 port?
--> Cimco, Dostek, NC Fadal (last one can still be found on internet as 'freeware' it seems)
--> still unclear

Thanks in advance,

Hi All,

Thanks so far already for these fast replies.
in summary:
1) how to replace the backup battery --> this is not a standard procedure like for some other machines where batteries can be simply replaced iso soldering
and how to read / backup the machine parameters --> parameters should be on a printed piece of paper inside the enclosure of the controller
--> still unclear how the parameters can be viewed on the controller and / or download / upload to and from the controller to and from a PC via RS232
--> memory configuration should be written on a piece of paper inside the enclosure of the controller
--> still unclear
--> Fadal model 914 VMC15RT, diagram number 1002:
5) are all Fadal 88HC controlles "dripfeed"capable?
--> still unclear if and how dripfeed can work with the software mentioned (Cimco, Dostek, NC Fadal)
and if yes, what SW to use to communicate with the RS232 port?
--> Cimco, Dostek, NC Fadal (last one can still be found on internet as 'freeware' it seems)
--> still unclear

Thanks in advance,

1) I don't know but the parameters are really simple compared to say a Fanuc. I was going to replace my battery but after making a backup of the parameters and how easy it is I'm not worried about it and will address it when/if it ever dies. The battery is soldered to the board and being that it is I would guess it lasts a long time. Some software versions allow you to download parameters over rs232 but some older versions don't. But like I said the parameters are pretty simple and it doesn't take long to write them down on a piece of paper (as mentioned its probably already in the control cabinet). Might want to make a copy of your ball screw mapping settings too, they are stored in the axis drives and can be viewed from the controller. The manual is pretty easy to follow and tells you how to do all this.

2) On my 4020 you can read a lot of info on the boards with out removing them. On mine I can see its -5 for example.

3) Software version has an ID number and can be displayed on the last page of the MENUE DIRECTORY (type: MU, ENTER, 42, ENTER). I don't know about upgrading software

4) Nexgen, itscnc, and cncpros and probably some others have pdf manuals online you can view for free. You can also call Fadal and they can sell you manuals and offer tech support by the hour for what seemed like a decent price. I called to see if they supported the older machines and they said they do but I have yet to use them for anything)

5) Haven't drip fed yet, I'm sure others can chime in more. I have yet to hear any of the machines can't drip feed. I used the free version of NC Lite to upload/download files and it was easy enough to figure out, the rs232 settings are in the manual.

6) Type: UT (ENTER), 6 (ENTER), 1 (ENTER) to see the five clocks. As you'll see in the menu on that page they can easily be reset so I would not put any weight on them.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/speedies-fadal-reality-checklist-pre-2014.293726/

Also may want to check out the Facebook group 'Fadal cnc users'. Lots of beginner questions there you can search through.

Last edited:
you can access Parameters using the SETP command. Somethings like backlash comp may not match what ever is written down.

--------------------

For DNC'ing I use a DNC program from ONECNC

imho works better then the Fadal DNC program.

Thank you all so much for helping out and sorry for the late reply.
In the end the machine was in a not so good state as a milling test showed close to 0.1mm difference between what was programmed and what was delivered on metal.... My manual machine is even more accurate...
Now looking into next opportunities.

Main concern is the Baldor Sweodrive, any way to replace that with something completely different / modern?

Back