What's new
What's new

questions about South Bend 13 Taper

sho-me

Plastic
I've acquired some parts for 13" lathe taper attachment. Looking for dimensions on binder stud to start with.

I've been purchasing taper parts off ebay and gibs seem a little big. are they custom ground to fit? I've filed and stoned for burs, got one to work but other one won't let screw start and locks up slide. any help is appreciated.

Is it the top one? I had accidentally flipped the top part 180 degrees and the gib did the same thing you are describing. Once I realized and flipped it back around it worked.

binder stud part 5in attachment. south bend number is PT867TF1.
thank you guys for your help

Here's what I could measure. The stud's thread is 1/2"-13. I'm assuming that the 1.5" diameter goes through slide block to the top surface of the swivel bar. It may be slightly shorter than the 2" indicated for clearance.

Attachments

• SB Taper Attachment Part Number 5.pdf
    5.6 KB · Views: 21
Here's what I could measure. The stud's thread is 1/2"-13. I'm assuming that the 1.5" diameter goes through slide block to the top surface of the swivel bar. It may be slightly shorter than the 2" indicated for clearance.
thank you for drawing. it is greatly appreciated
Pete

Here is photo of binder stud and chip guard I made. I'm looking for measurements on cross slide screw for taper attachment. that's my next project.

Pete

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 18
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 19
I've completed taper screw and bed clamp. Bed clamp was modeled off an existing lathe. I'm down to just dial end of taper screw, if anybody has measurements I would greatly appreciate. I haven't cut acme thread end to length yet, waiting to complete dial end.
Pete

Attachments

• taper parts2.jpeg
    taper parts2.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 12
The other end of feed screw started. Waiting on tool bit to cut internal keyway and gear cutter.
Does anybody know if gear is 14.5- or 20-degree pressure angle?
Peter

Attachments

• feed screw.jpeg
    feed screw.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2
Hmmm. I had a new one made for my 1966 South Bend 13 by a member here. I believe it was a 14.5, but that is just my recollection. He provided a tech drawing and a STEP file with the job, but I can only find the STEP file. I don't know if you can deduce the PA from a step, but I'd be happy to forward it your way.

Edit: I found the drawing:

AL9nZEXBQnGMsh30JN9bn94NYMKStB00VqFM7oEgP9PU2df0hHf8Rh4Qh-PsuYZDz-q_aMiX41QA_ExF-V7BkfghyjcVxP3iWKZ9EYn1prAoKIb3d4PY9QwnpFaPrwFH62oVfw0vZ_tkuJmae6ZvNTrjhWWXzQ=w1071-h650-no

I'd love to cite the original designer, but I cannot find his info anywhere. He's a member here and used to advertise services on eBay to rebuild or make feed screws. I must have delete those emails.

I've almost completed cross feed screw. Need to drill pin holes for sleeve and handle and to assemble parts to lathe.

Attachments

• crossfeed screw.jpg
    crossfeed screw.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 10

Back