What's new
What's new

Questions on Do all d8-10 surface grinder taper

cgmaster

Cast Iron
I just purchased a Doall D8-1 surface grinder.

I am looking for wheel hubs and tools to remove the wheel. I am going to call Sopko in the morning but am curious if the taper is standard like on smaller grinders.

This one has a 10 x 3 x 3/4 wheel with coolant through the wheel. I am looking to get a few more hubs and the tools to remove them.

I'm going back to pick the grinder up next week so I don't have it here to remove the hub and measure.

If the machine has been setting for a time give its spindle a good numper of hand spins and then give it a few jog starts.
Good to give a grinder spindle a jog start for every cold start.
Re: Run up to 1/4 or 1/2 RPM, let slow then fire up.

Also a grinder that has sat for a time look under to see the ways are rust free. be sure it has oil where needed.
Movig a grinder have the wheel resting on a block of wood so not bouncing on the down feed nut..

Last edited:
If the machine has been setting for a time give its spindle a good numper of hand spins and then give it a few jog starts.
Good to give a grinder spindle a jog start for every cold start.
Re: Run up to 1/4 or 1/2 RPM, let slow then fire up.

Also a grinder that has sat for a time look under to see the ways are rust free. be sure it has oil where needed.
Movig a grinder have the wheel resting on a block of wood so not bouncing on the down feed nut..
Thank you for the info. What I'm really looking for is the spindle taller dimensions and info in the wheel removal tools for this machine. I called Sopko but was told I need to pull the wheel to find out the spindle dimensions. I was hoping someone had this info handy. I'm going to pick it up Friday. I will also need to make it get the wheel removal tools as we could not find them when I was there.

It looks like the D-6 and D-8 use the same same mount having a central spindle end nut will that turns left to remove, and a wheel puller inserted to pull the mount(page 7).
The wheel mount being 1" at the big end that is a very commonn surface grinder mount for a 1 1/4" hole wheel.
The D10 with a 3" hole wheel takes a different mount.
A screw drive with a 3 finger pull can also usually remove such a mount, with caching the wheel from falling. You don’t have to remove the mount as you can simply take off the wheel.

Last edited:

It looks like the D-6 and D-8 use the same same mount having a central spindle end nut will that turns left to remove, and a wheel puller inserted to pull the mount(page 7).
The wheel mount being 1" at the big end that is a very commonn surface grinder mount for a 1 1/4" hole wheel.
The D10 with a 3" hole wheel takes a different mount.
A screw drive with a 3 finger pull can also usually remove such a mount, with caching the wheel from falling. You don’t have to remove the mount as you can simply take off the wheel.
Thank you. The grinder I have has the 10 inch wheel with 3 inch id. I have the tools to do the standard 1.25 inch wheels. It is noticably different. I found the manuals but nothing about the dimensions of the spindle or removing the wheel on this grinder.

Ok got the machine back and pulled the wheel. It had the coolant through the wheel option as well as flood and it is a 10in wheel.

The spindle is 3TPF it starts at 1" and the large OD is 1.5" and about 2" The thread on the end of the spindle shaft is .75x16tpi LH and the nut is about 1.375" OD.

I would like the Doall coolant through hubs but right now any will do. I am waiting to hear back from Sopoko also on hubs. I would like 2 or 3 for standard wheels as well as 1 for a narrow diamond and cutoff wheel. If they make an adapter to use standard size wheels and hubs for 1-1/4 wheels I would love that I have several for them.

The grinder is in excellent condition appears to have hardly been used. But has a few small issues. I t has a regular chuck on it but also came with a electromagnetic chuck but we could not find the control so I am looking for a magnetic chuck control for a 8x24 chuck 230v.

Ok got the machine back and pulled the wheel. It had the coolant through the wheel option as well as flood and it is a 10in wheel.

The spindle is 3TPF it starts at 1" and the large OD is 1.5" and about 2" The thread on the end of the spindle shaft is .75x16tpi LH and the nut is about 1.375" OD.

I would like the Doall coolant through hubs but right now any will do. I am waiting to hear back from Sopoko also on hubs. I would like 2 or 3 for standard wheels as well as 1 for a narrow diamond and cutoff wheel. If they make an adapter to use standard size wheels and hubs for 1-1/4 wheels I would love that I have several for them.

The grinder is in excellent condition appears to have hardly been used. But has a few small issues. I t has a regular chuck on it but also came with a electromagnetic chuck but we could not find the control so I am looking for a magnetic chuck control for a 8x24 chuck 230v.
If you read the manual about the cool hub please notice it says you must use the fiber disks with the hub.
(Going from memory here and fiberdisks is not the correct word)
I have a 14" with the hub and when I got the hub off all the holes were plugged and no disks there. Not having seen the disks I can only assume that they are some type of fiber that let's the fluid spin out of the hub. Without something there the hub fits up against the wheel, on both sides and blocks the escape of cooling fluid.

My last video shows close ups of the hub after I got the rusted together hub off.

Back