What's new
What's new

Quill housing adjusting gear and worm gear

IHFarmer07

Plastic
Hello all, brand new to this forum with questions on a new to me bridgeport series 1 1.5hp 2J variable speed head.
My machine has a lot of wear on the quill housing adjustment gear and the worm gear that adjusts the head’s degree left and right.
On H & W machine and repair they have the j144, 12190178 gear but for $194 dollars, I did a search on the search sites and I've seen them anywhere between $30-this $194.
My question to you all, is it necessary to buy the high dollar gear? Has anyone bought the cheaper gear, thats probably from china?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1720717507...g3S8crrQHq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thanks all!
Eric

Last edited:
Hello all, brand new to this forum with questions on a new to me bridgeport series 1 1.5hp j2 variable speed head.
My machine has a lot of wear on the quill housing adjustment gear and the worm gear that adjusts the head’s degree left and right.
On H & W machine and repair they have the j144, 12190178 gear but for $194 dollars, I did a search on the search sites and I've seen them anywhere between $30-this $194.
My question to you all, is it necessary to buy the high dollar gear? Has anyone bought the cheaper gear, thats probably from china?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1720717507...g3S8crrQHq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thanks all!
Eric
That's typical, the gears just move it side to side. You have to use an indicator to tram the head in (side to side and nod). You lock it in place with the bolts that are in the head, 4 on the front 3 on the side.

Last edited:
That's typical, the gears just move it side to side. You have to use an indicator to tram the head in (side to side and nod). You lock it in place with the bolts that are in the head, 4 on the front 3 on the side.

So you don’t think its worth getting a couple new gears?
If I did get them I think I’d chance the cheaper gear. But I’m curious of opinions on the gear in the link. The worm gear is worn pretty decent also. The problem I’m having is that it didn’t tram side the side like it should. Also, two of the bolts were missing that lock the head side to side tram, maybe that was putting it in a bind Idk. The grease in that area was extremely old and hard so maybe with new grease things will work as it should with the old gears.

The problem I’m having is that it didn’t tram side the side like it should.
If the head moves left and right then I would guess gears are good enough. When in doubt, go with H+W.
The bolts and weird nuts are something you need. These are what holds the head in position, the gears rest in loose state.

If the head moves left and right then I would guess gears are good enough. When in doubt, go with H+W.
The bolts and weird nuts are something you need. These are what holds the head in position, the gears rest in loose state.
It does tram left to right, just not as smoothly as I thought it should. I ordered and received everything for what was missing to lock the head down after tramming where a person wants(spacer/sleeve, two bolt assemblies with nuts and washers. Maybe with those items installed it’ll hold things square and not want to bind.
Not sure why they were missing in the first place, with how the head was moving I thought whoever broke the bolts off in there and left them and it was binding like that.
I’ll take some pictures and post.

You're wasting your time, it doesn't matter, doesn't affect the operation of the mill in any way, even a tight accurate worm/wormgear would make no difference at all. It's like worrying whether water swirls the toilet clockwise or counter-clockwise. BFD.
Awesome, thats the straight to the point answer I was looking for!

Thank you sir!

Tramming a Bridgeport can take 5 minutes or 2 hours...it happens sometime. I do mine to less than 1 thou, usually stop at half. Then you turn the bolt the wrong way and boom the head nods down lol. I could probably get 0/0/0/0 but who has time for that.

Tramming a Bridgeport can take 5 minutes or 2 hours...it happens sometime. I do mine to less than 1 thou, usually stop at half. Then you turn the bolt the wrong way and boom the head nods down lol. I could probably get 0/0/0/0 but who has time for that.
Sure it could! Perfection takes time. This machine is a 72 model and I don’t have any idea what its been through. It seem like a good solid machine and it sounded good through all rpms low and high when we ran it at the guys shop we bought it from. The ways and everything seem good, still has a fair amount of scraping yet. Just need to get the oiler and everything up to snuff before I use it too much. Idk what kind of oil and grease this thing had in it but its very hard is just caked/baked on it seems. Its takes a lot of elbow grease and or a good brake clean or carb clean to get things cleaned up. I have to run the electric and get the vfd wired up for it in the shop. Have 3 other projects not including this machine to deal with so, it may be awhile before I get its place cleaned, machine ready and wired lol, I need it sooner than later though so it may take precedence.

1. I have run a new Bridgeport, or at least one that was only a year or two into very light use. It was just as sloppy as my early 90’s machine (little wear) and just as sloppy as 60’s and earlier machines I’ve used where the flaking is long gone and there is 3/4 of a dial of lash in X. That joint is just like that, but it doesn’t matter.
2. H&W is one of the few suppliers for any subject I go straight to when I want new parts. Their service is amazing, even for small guys.
3. If you are tilting the head a lot you need to pull the limit pin and support the head by hand while raising and lowering it. That shaft doesn’t really have the strength to move the whole head. Also, if it breaks your head can fall freely until the head kits the table, crushing anything in between. It’s a bad part to get from a a lowest price source, not that you need to replace yours.

Once initially assembled, I don’t think I’ve ever used that worm gear assembly. It’s not used to “tram” the head as you said. I loosen the bolts and tap the head with a hammer. If you were doing some funky set-up I guess you could move the head out of square to the table. I just never have. I’d be more inclined to hold the stock at an angle than move the head.

I also do not mess with the turret at all. It swings and the ram goes back and forth. I never touch it.

yeah spend your money on all new oil metering valves (don’t try to fix or inspect, just replace) replace any dodgey oil lines, give the mill a good clean and a dro.

Back