What's new
What's new

Quote the same thing multiple times

RJT

Titanium
My customers engineer:
Quote quantity of 1,3,6 sets of this tooling (he can only supply samples, no drawings). And on a separate line-item price 1-time charges for fixturing, special tooling needed, reverse engineering.
Send him a quote as requested.
Customers purchasing agent:
How much for quantity of 8?
Me, same price each as 6.
PA, what is next price break?
me 10.
PA send me a quote for quantity of 8 and quantity of 10.
send him a quote.
PA, please send a quote for 8 and include the one-time charges in the price.
Me: (to myself) can't you divide by 8 and add you f***ing idiot? I have work to do.

My customers engineer:
Quote quantity of 1,3,6 sets of this tooling (he can only supply samples, no drawings). And on a separate line-item price 1-time charges for fixturing, special tooling needed, reverse engineering.
me 10.
send him a quote.
Me: (to myself) can't you divide by 8 and add you f***ing idiot? I have work to do.

Bunch of time-wasters. We had a French conglomerate here that made rail maintenance equipment, ostensibly. In reality they sat on their hands and failed to meet their customer’s deadlines (we’re talking years late).

They pulled the same crap. “Please quote 100 pcs”, Quote sent, “Thank you here is a PO for 5.” Sorry, not how this works.

Companies rot from the top down.

My customers engineer:
me 10.
send him a quote.
some stupidity, lots with purchasing agent not knowing/not concerned with custom vs off the parts.
mcmaster sells #f59w387498754 widget for 5 dollars apiece, 10 for 38.50. How much for 12 is 48.50, not 46.20.

This happens everywhere. Probably happens at mcdonalds as well.

It depends on the customer but I'll quote something up to 3 times before added charges start coming. So when I quoted 20 units at $37 each, on quote #4 it's now $39. It doesn't take long for them to figure out what is going on. It's a good way to determine how much crap you want to deal with from a company.

Dear customer:
There are no 8 price breaks
1;5;10;25
Yes, if you choose to buy 8 you will pay more than if you bought 10 so, that would not be a good idea

Probably the PA feels they need an "official" quote that shows the final total so that they can justify the expenditure to their higher-ups; they don't want to send up a collection of several different incongruous documents along with a spreadsheet showing their calculations of the final total to a boss who's going to say "what the hell is this?" It's the price of dealing with bureaucratic organizations....

Back