What's new
What's new

Rail type truck lift gate.... thoughts on increasing capacity ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Here's what I mean - https://www.inlad.com/product/rail-gate-standard-series-liftgates-capacity-2000lb/... I'm looking at a small Isuzu NPR box truck with a Maxon version which seems a bit beefier that this example*, but would be nice to occasionally have the ability to lower 2800 lbs. (I say "lower" as any machine would be installed in the truck via forklift...it's the getting it out part where the lift gate is needed). And yeah I know the rear of the truck would have to be supported by bottle jacks to keep it from sinking back there). I'm thinking anything from beefing up the original lift gate to adding a "helper" of some sort... like a chain lift above somehow. Ideas ?

=======================

*in fact that Tommy Lift looks so cheesy I can't image it handling even 2000 lbs

I like the rail type because the platform is parallel to the ground and goes straight up. Can't recal if I ever rented an Enterprise truck with this type.

Can only recal renting the below type from Enterprise Truck.

I specifically avoid renting a truck with the below type because the platform does not stay parallel to the ground.

Here in europe you see almost exclusivly the hydraulic types i
Like in the last picture And yes They stay parrallel to the ground But you can tilt them to get a slope to pull the load on the ramp

For your type maybe adding some gassprings At least if it is pulled down and not relaying on gravity to come down

Here's my crazy idea.
Make a couple of tall "toe jacks" that work like the feed control on a horizontal bandsaw. You would carry them in the back of the truck, lower them on the liftgate and slide under each side of the liftgate. Maybe something like use a high lift jack to get the toe plates raised and then use a fluid bleed on a hydraulic cylinder to help slow down the lowering of the liftgate. Or maybe use air over oil to raise the unloaded toe plates.

As you said, lowering is easier than lifting and I remember an old movie where an Egyptian pyramid builder used fine grain sand flowing through small openings to lower huge stone blocks into place to seal the passageways.

Aux support don't address the hinge & other parts that support the cantilevered floor.

I bought the heavy maxon rail gate (formerly used on a coke semitrailer) for my isuzu FTR and installed it myself, its rated for 5500lbs and has rollers that run in the guideways. The one you posted a picture of says it has sliders and looks like it has pretty thin moving rails. I'd be worried about flexing those inside beams enough so they bow and the part between the sliders contact or bind the inside of the guideways. I've lifted about 3200lbs with mine and was more worried about tearing the frame of the truck box off of the truck than overloading the liftgate. They actually recommend exterior diagonal flat bar bracing from the top of the guideways forward to the bottom of the truck bed to prevent that. I'd say you might be able to lower the load, but you'll also need to worry about tearing off the box end, as well the lift gate deck folding up along the axis of the truck centerline as well as it is probably designed for an evenly distributed load. If you have a small stacker like a prestolift or big joe you can put in the truck you could drop that first and then help the liftgate to lower the load.

If you have a small stacker like a prestolift or big joe you can put in the truck you could drop that first and then help the liftgate to lower the load.

I considered that but one couldn't get the gate plate all the way to ground due to the counterbalance legs in the way.... or am I missing something ?

At that point you would be close enough to the ground where you can pull it out and at least not have to worry as much, or pull it out till it just clears the wheels, (admittedly with little effect in that position, with the load on the stacker fork tips) or put toe jacks beside the stacker and help it down past the point where you need to withdraw the stacker. I've used a strap or comealong from the top of the load to inside the truck as an extra security blanket before as well, at least your load won't tip off the end if things go bad.

Back