What's new
What's new

Recommendation for a CNC machine

Sorrybutimbroke

Plastic
Hello folks,
I’m desperate for a recommendation for a CNC machine.

I believe the most expensive that I could afford would be the Datron Neo, but I think there are more affordable options out there.

I mainly do brass parts, if it could handle titanium then that would be perfect.

3 axis is enough.
I do the engraving works which require precise detail.
The engraving would do ~0.05mm depth on the work piece.

Size and weight would be a concern as well. It would be better if it weighs less than 2000kg.

Thanks

The one thing I would emphasize is dealer, community support for the machine and whatever programming it runs. I had a great little ROMI toolroom lathe but no support.
I think that is where HAAS shines due to the popularity.

I would put Brother on first place.
For engraving and work with tiny tools a CM-1 will run circles around the fastest Brother. Yes the toolchanges are much slower, but 50,000 RPM more than makes up for it, especially if you can setup lots of parts at once.

For the OP, I make medical device parts on a CM-1, mostly Titanium. I regularly use cutters down to .010", and sometimes smaller. I use a 60 degree single flute engraving cutter, tipped off .005", for a surface texture on some of them, and it works great. I'm able to make many of these parts in half the cycle time that I was previously doing on a 15,000 RPM 40 taper machine. This is the machine that was easily form tapping 000-120 threads in Ti.

Last edited:
For engraving and work with tiny tools a CM-1 will run circles around the fastest Brother. Yes the toolchanges are much slower, but 50,000 RPM more than makes up for it, especially if you can setup lots of parts at once.

For the OP, I make medical device parts on a CM-1, mostly Titanium. I regularly use cutters down to .010", and sometimes smaller. I use a 60 degree single flute engraving cutter, tipped off .005", for a surface texture on some of them, and it works great. I'm able to make many of these parts in half the cycle time that I was previously doing on a 15,000 RPM 40 taper machine. This is the machine that was easily form tapping 000-120 threads in Ti.
Is it allowed to ask here to ask you if it’s possible for you do a sample part for me to see how the part looks like when it’s processed by a CM-1?

How fast the Brother can accurately feed is my limitation to engraving. I engrave .125"-.187" tall at 8k and 60ipm. I could program faster but it wouldn't matter with my accuracy settings, which slow it down to maintain.

I am a home shop and would strongly recommend a real VMC over some toy. If money is an issue then used higher quality mills with support are the best value. Brother is on this list, but watch out for the older controls, Kitamura, and Enshu. There are more but those are the ones I have experience with.

Back