What's new
What's new

recommendations wanted for noise attenuating ear protection

I am using wireless earbuds for noise cancellation during hunting and machine work. It actually increases your focus and clear the distractions. I was personally using Tozo T10 earbuds. They were very good and affordable. Do try it.

The best muffs I have are Peltor Worktunes with the built in radio. I wear them even when I don't want music because they work so well and are comfortable. Mine are several years old, newer ones have digital tuning better reception and a jack to connect to your cell phone so you can hear when it rings or play music from it.

I have large ear canals so I have a hard time with earplugs, I have to push them in so far they make my inner ear parts hurt. I have found Peltor Sport Tri-flange plugs work OK though.

I bought a racing radio headset with a noise cancelling mic and a custom jack to fit a cell phone some years ago, it's awesome for troubleshooting a machine over the phone in a noisy environment but bulky for everyday use.

I've got a set of Howard Leight Impact Pro headphones that are great. NRR=30 and they have an automatic circuit built in that amplifies outside nose and plays it in your headphones so you can talk and hear quiet noises while wearing them but as soon as noise rises to a higher level they instantly shut that feature off and are very quiet. You can also adjust the volume or leave that feature entirely turned off if you want to. There's also a standard jack for plugging in your phone or music player so you can play music through the headphone speakers.

I've always liked to use Peltor brand like this one:

3M Peltor H10A Optime 105 Earmuff - Amazon.com
I have this and use it everyday. I have doubled them up with foam too. Don't throw out the foams when handled by dirty fingers.
They are washable and can be reused. What a waste when I walk past a building site and see them on the ground. Just pocket them and wash them up at night.

Last edited:
This thread is so old that I didn’t even remember it however I am updating my recommendation. I switched quite a few years ago to custom made silicone(?) plugs that slip in easily and are very effective. I can wear those all day every day. I needed them after getting a very good face shield that wraps around and protects much better than the flimsy old style.
I also purchased an RPB air supplied welding and grinding hood which requires insert type hearing protection. The hood itself does stop some noise but like to wear them when grinding.
The custom ear plugs are not too expensive and I would recommend buying two pairs and get the embedded string which is very worthwhile.
Mine are around my neck right now while having breakfast. I have never lost them or put them down and forgot where…

The ear plugs will seem cheap once you price out an air supplied respirator. I like the RPB but have never tried any other however the air filters seem like a “we got you now” kind of rip-off as they are so expensive and don’t last very long.

This thread is so old that I didn’t even remember it however I am updating my recommendation. I switched quite a few years ago to custom made silicone(?) plugs that slip in easily and are very effective. I can wear those all day every day. I needed them after getting a very good face shield that wraps around and protects much better than the flimsy old style.
I also purchased an RPB air supplied welding and grinding hood which requires insert type hearing protection. The hood itself does stop some noise but like to wear them when grinding.
The custom ear plugs are not too expensive and I would recommend buying two pairs and get the embedded string which is very worthwhile.
Mine are around my neck right now while having breakfast. I have never lost them or put them down and forgot where…

The ear plugs will seem cheap once you price out an air supplied respirator. I like the RPB but have never tried any other however the air filters seem like a “we got you now” kind of rip-off as they are so expensive and don’t last very long.
Where did you get the custom molded ones?

Westone makes custom molded ones. I use these playing music, but not in the shop. I had mine molded at an audiologist, but that was a long time ago. I think they were doing kits they would send you to do the mold.

I used foam ones for many years shooting guns and the like.

Shop cans are big 3M peltors. The biggest for the noisiest activities.

The in ear ones don't block as much noise. You can get conductive hearing loss. Sound waves will go through your everything, so the big over ear ones are more protective. In ear ones can add more to moisture build up in your ear which can cause issues used long term. I was getting fluid buildup in the inner ear. It went away when I switched to over ear.

Take a look at 3M WorkTunes. I used them on the farm and they were great with tractors and other equipment and am using them in the woodshop now and they do a really good job knocking down the sound from the 7.5hp dust collector, air compressors, 10hp planer, shaper, tablesaw and other power equipment. They are also bluetooth enabled, so if your dad wants to listen to music or tie into his phone, he can do it. They are fairly comfortable and I don't have any issues wearing them for hours at a time. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/cbgnawus1754/

Where did you get the custom molded ones?
I can't speak for M Moore, but when I worked for International Paper, we had custom molded ear plugs. Just like the shoemobiles of old, someone came to the plant and took impressions of everyone's ears and a few weeks later we received the ear plugs.

It looks like today, they have DIY kits for taking your own impressions. The ear plugs worked really well and seemed to be at least as good in knocking down sound as a high quality pair of muffs.

Back