What's new
What's new

Recycling used way oil.

diamondman

Cast Iron
Hi all,

I haven't been around due to work demands, but wanted to take a minute tell you about a use I found for my used way oil. By the way 3 Deckel fpncs'
use a lot of way lube. I was emptying out the sump and noticed the oil was about the same as bar and chain oil I use in my chain saw so i ran it through a fine mesh screen and tried it out. The stuff works great. I am not sure about warranty exclusions but my saw is 10 years old. One less oil to buy and keep on the shelf.
Dave

Dave:
Glad you are going the right way as to the oil's secondary use!!!!
Seen lots of posts on the general board about using bar oil for way oil.....Can't buy into doing that , but going the other way
seems like it would be just fine....
Cheers Ross

Ross,

I would never put anything but the machine tool builders spec. oils in any machine tool. They have a reason for not using Walmart brand motor oil in their machine.
But my $350.00 chain saw after 10 years who cares. Once new a guy that had a spindle overheating in an O.D. grinder he was ready to have the spindle rebuilt for $8,000.00 and he asked me what I thought. I asked him what spindle oil he was using he said the same spindle oil as the other grinders and the bridgeport.
The machine needed a lighter oil due to extreme tight tolerances of the bearings. He changed the oil and it ran perfectly with only normal temps for a straight bearing machine.
Dave

Ross,

I would never put anything but the machine tool builders spec. oils in any machine tool. They have a reason for not using Walmart brand motor oil in their machine.
But my $350.00 chain saw after 10 years who cares. Once new a guy that had a spindle overheating in an O.D. grinder he was ready to have the spindle rebuilt for $8,000.00 and he asked me what I thought. I asked him what spindle oil he was using he said the same spindle oil as the other grinders and the bridgeport.
The machine needed a lighter oil due to extreme tight tolerances of the bearings. He changed the oil and it ran perfectly with only normal temps for a straight bearing machine.
Dave
Not bad at all...
When I bought my new saw a few years back I spent over $700 and swore I would not use anything but Stihl oils, just like we do for our house priced CNC's. However, in a pinch I had got some bar oil from the local farm store. WOW, What a difference. If that crap will work then way oil will be fine. It's cling and flow properties are probably pretty close to a high quality bar and chain oil. and really, the bar, chain, and sprocket is only going to last so long before needing replaced anyhow. I think the money saved on oil will out weigh any possible life shortened on the bar/chain...might even last a little longer with Vactra #2 or whatever you use.
The only thing I would add is that if you use it a lot in super cold weather you might check the oil to see if it flows at all when cold. I know the "summer blend" oil I use will not flow at 20 degrees...so winter time use gets winter oil.

I was thinking something much more sinister, ha ha ha.I have been collecting my way oil drippings and plan on filtering and reusing it.
In my machines:eek:.

Minus any contaminants way oil is still good many times over as it is not breaking down at the molecular level.

How is it possible that a trade that has such high capital and operational costs has so many complete cheap skates in it?
Like Lofty said;).

Do you change your engine oil after every ride? If not, why?

I have a homemade filtering unit. Which in essence is a sump with a SBC oil pump and pick up with an electric motor drive and a manifold with multiple oil filters (some pretty low micron) on it and magnets on the filters. You can cycle the oil as long as you want through the system.

I have sent oil out for analysis many times , not really a big deal.

Like Lofty said;).

Do you change your engine oil after every ride? If not, why?

I have a homemade filtering unit. Which in essence is a sump with a SBC oil pump and pick up with an electric motor drive and a manifold with multiple oil filters (some pretty low micron) on it and magnets on the filters. You can cycle the oil as long as you want through the system.

I have sent oil out for analysis many times , not really a big deal.

So how much time and money did you waste to be able to re-use a few quarts of way oil drippings you collected from your machine? Manual machines don't use much oil and I sure as hell wouldn't try this with a cnc that runs coolant. It would be almost impossible to separate the moisture out of the oil and you would have different oils mixing which would be impossible to separate.

Would I change my oil after every ride, no way. I would follow the manufactures recommendations as far as oil change intervals. I can't say I ever saw a machine manual that said you should filter the used way oil in a homemade contraption and re-use it.

I have sent many oil samples in too. Not to see if I could re-use the oil but to get an idea of the condition of the vehicle's engine or to establish a base line for a engine. It is amazing how much "stuff" is in used engine oil even though it is in a closed system with a filter.

You would be better off if you collected the used oil, combined with other used motor oil etc., and burned it in a waste oil heater to heat your shop.

So how much time and money did you waste to be able to re-use a few quarts of way oil drippings you collected from your machine? Manual machines don't use much oil and I sure as hell wouldn't try this with a cnc that runs coolant. It would be almost impossible to separate the moisture out of the oil and you would have different oils mixing which would be impossible to separate.

Would I change my oil after every ride, no way. I would follow the manufactures recommendations as far as oil change intervals. I can't say I ever saw a machine manual that said you should filter the used way oil in a homemade contraption and re-use it.

I have sent many oil samples in too. Not to see if I could re-use the oil but to get an idea of the condition of the vehicle's engine or to establish a base line for a engine. It is amazing how much "stuff" is in used engine oil even though it is in a closed system with a filter.

You would be better off if you collected the used oil, combined with other used motor oil etc., and burned it in a waste oil heater to heat your shop.

Ha Ha Ha:D, I didn't build my "contraption" just to save a few gallons of way oil.

I don't Run coolant on most of my machines.

Even I have slight reservations about putting used way oil in some of my prized machines, was thinking more along the lines of demoting the lube, putting it in an oil gun and using for half clapped out machines etc.

Give me one good reason why it would be bad to reuse molecularly sound oil with contaminants filtered out.

The oil would literally have less shit in it than the water you drink.

yzfr1pwr said:
Ha Ha Ha:D, I didn't build my "contraption" just to save a few gallons of way oil.

If you were really saving money by recycling your way oil then why not provide actual details about your oil consumption and how much your saving by recycling.

yzfr1pwr said:
Give me one good reason why it would be bad to reuse molecularly sound oil with contaminants filtered out.

Additives don't last forever.

Oil is cheap, I see no reason to try to cut corners on something as critical as oil. You probably take your used oil from your car and use it in your lawnmower too. :)

If you were really saving money by recycling your way oil then why not provide actual details about your oil consumption and how much your saving by recycling.

Additives don't last forever.

Oil is cheap, I see no reason to try to cut corners on something as critical as oil. You probably take your used oil from your car and use it in your lawnmower too. :)

It's really common sense. I have to do something with the oil anyhow rather it's paying $afetykleen to come and take it(which they will recycle it too , ever see recycled motor oil for sale?), dump it in the river or do what my pap used to do and dump it on the road to keep the dust down:eek:. Like beer cans, you either throw them in the garbage/recycling bin, side of the road or in a container to take with the rest of your scrap when you sell it to the yard. Gotta do something with it anyhow might as well get something back for it.

Lawn mowers?, You have no idea what I've done with mowers.I used to pull them out of the garbage after school and fix them to run cutting neighbors grass.This one woman in particular used to wait until she would get a notice from the township because here grass was 18" high before calling me. 5hp wasn't enough!:D Pullin a Tim Taylor became a habit.
Payed for my first Bridgeport and Clausing that way.

A Briggs will wear rather you have clean oil or not it don't care,it's crude and rude and eventually will have a rod peekin out the side dude. A throw away.

Bottom line these things are tools and they won't last forever and neither will we as I have been reminded recently by the passing of one of my close friends and mentors.One of only a handful of men I've looked up to in my life.Cancer got him in less than a year.

I'm pretty anal about some things. I used to put mobil1 in some of my first cars, 15 -20 year old $300 to $500 cars:nutter:, I liked to take care of what I had.I guess when you have nothing nothing is something to you, Until I realized you can't save everything from wear, it's inevitable and in a lot of cases a waste of time and money. Dust to Dust.

I don't think putting once used filtered way oil in a well used 50 year old lathe will be detrimental to it's health, probably the most juice its seen in its life.I lube everything that should be lubed which is more than most people.

And after 15,000 miles per oil change in my car what's a few lawns added on to that Synthetic going to hurt:eek:.

Don't see a reason why one could not recycle way oil if handled properly....
Some conditions would affect the decision...Coolant, use of foreign materials on the machine such as tapping fluids, WD40 to
help surfacing surface finishes etc....
Further exposure to humidity while the used oils was waiting to be filtered etc.....

Would require some diligence to be comfortable with the finished product, but could be done i suppose.

There is a point to the reuse of the waste oil. Disposal (Safety Clean, etc...) can be more expensive than you think. Way oil (at least here in Nor. Ca.) is considered a "hot toxic" waste.
This is due to the presence of Chlorine in almost all way products. Our waste oil pick up guy tests our oil and charges a high premium for the "hot" fluids.
I keep my Way oil separate from the motor oil , coolant and other products we generate...

Given the above, i still would not consider using recycled way oil on any of my machines.....Maybe i am just an oil snob....
Just seems like another task and something else to manage in my already complicated life...
Even with the expense of disposal, oil is just too cheap and i don't use enough to warrant adding another maintenance chore..more stuff to store/use , and the need to allot
additional shop floor space for....
Weighed against the cost/advantage curve i am staying with virgin way lube for all my iron....
But i will mark down as something to remember: to be careful of any used machine offered from "yzfr1pwr" :D
Cheers Ross

It's really common sense. I have to do something with the oil anyhow rather it's paying $afetykleen to come and take it(which they will recycle it too , ever see recycled motor oil for sale?), dump it in the river or do what my pap used to do and dump it on the road to keep the dust down:eek:. Like beer cans, you either throw them in the garbage/recycling bin, side of the road or in a container to take with the rest of your scrap when you sell it to the yard. Gotta do something with it anyhow might as well get something back for it.

Lawn mowers?, You have no idea what I've done with mowers.I used to pull them out of the garbage after school and fix them to run cutting neighbors grass.This one woman in particular used to wait until she would get a notice from the township because here grass was 18" high before calling me. 5hp wasn't enough!:D Pullin a Tim Taylor became a habit.
Payed for my first Bridgeport and Clausing that way.

A Briggs will wear rather you have clean oil or not it don't care,it's crude and rude and eventually will have a rod peekin out the side dude. A throw away.

Bottom line these things are tools and they won't last forever and neither will we as I have been reminded recently by the passing of one of my close friends and mentors.One of only a handful of men I've looked up to in my life.Cancer got him in less than a year.

I'm pretty anal about some things. I used to put mobil1 in some of my first cars, 15 -20 year old $300 to $500 cars:nutter:, I liked to take care of what I had.I guess when you have nothing nothing is something to you, Until I realized you can't save everything from wear, it's inevitable and in a lot of cases a waste of time and money. Dust to Dust.

I don't think putting once used filtered way oil in a well used 50 year old lathe will be detrimental to it's health, probably the most juice its seen in its life.I lube everything that should be lubed which is more than most people.

And after 15,000 miles per oil change in my car what's a few lawns added on to that Synthetic going to hurt:eek:.

LOL!

Somehow I knew you were puttin' your old car oil into your mowers :D

How much oil are we talking about here? Do you have a huge shop where your generating 50 gallons of waste way oil a week or are you generating a gallon a week. I've got a small shop and I use way oil but not enough that it matters. I just dump it into the old coolant drum and a waste hauler takes it away. I used to use safety clean but they were outrageous on price. I called the place safety clean was taking the coolant and asked if there were other choices for waste haulers and they gave me a couple other companys to contact. I pay about 40% of what I was paying to safety clean now.

Yes eventually everything will wear out, but that's no reason to accelerate the process. I prefer to have my machines and tools around as long as I can.

Synthetic motor oil is proven to reduce wear. Otherwise they would not recommend against using it in the break in period of new engines. I also had a motorcycle that I had some head work done on. The guy running the shop said I could get a couple horses out of switching to a synthetic oil. I didn't believe him until he proved it with my bike on the dyno. It gained about 1.5-2hp just by changing the oil. Where did the extra power come from, reduced friction. What wears things out, friction. Do I use synthetic oil in all my cars now, yup!

LOL!

Somehow I knew you were puttin' your old car oil into your mowers :D

How much oil are we talking about here?
Yes eventually everything will wear out, but that's no reason to accelerate the process. I prefer to have my machines and tools around as long as I can.

Synthetic motor oil is proven to reduce wear.

I don't actually put used oil in my mowers:D. Maybe if the crankcase was bigger I would:D.

We're not talking about a lot of way oil here. I actually haven't even filtered and used any of it, just been collecting the drippings and putting them in 5gal buckets lately.

I'm actually pretty knowledgeable about lubrication and if I had a doubt about something being detrimental to any mechanical device I owned that wasn't already a few chips shy of the scrap yard I would not do it.

I agree, synthetic is the way to go.I use Brad Penn break in oil for fresh builds and rebuilds.In any engine one is not worried about a Catalytic converter failure on I would also use an oil where the ZDDP has not been reduced to meet the ILSAC GF-5 specification.

If you were really saving money by recycling your way so give oil to used oil recycling plant...just google it

Back